Must have gear for those considering starting a re-amping service..

What is this, Gearslutz? I think it is more than feasible to get quality guitar tones with the conversion in a Profire... A half cm movement in mic placement is going to impact the tone about 500 times more than using a Lynx Aurora vs. the converters in a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40.

can't agree anymore

Couple of questions for guys who do offer reamping.
Do people specifically ask you for an amp/cab/mic combination from your gear or just say I want a nice tone like band X or Y?
What kind of rates do people charge for re amping roughly? Not something I've ever looked into so have no real idea what the rate would be for something like this.

For guitar tones I find taking time to get it played aggressively with a well dialled in head makes 100 times the difference to the pre/converters you use.

Most of the bands I have worked with came in and say: We want something like this, then list a bunch of stuff to reference. 98% of the time what they want doesn't work with the other instruments they have recorded.

I really feel you need to have all the tracks present in order to make a good judgment as to what will work on a particular song / cd.

All of our rates vary. We had a big debate about this a few months ago where someone posted their prices and everyone had a fit, but I can tell you here on the board there is something for every budget.

Surprised no one said a decent room

See post #11:

Good room too, didn't seem to be mentioned. I notice a big difference on how my amp sounds depending on which way it's pointing in the room, or where it's positioned in the room etc.
Don't reamp in your bloody bathroom haha. I don't have room treatment personally, but as I've heard from many clips on here, it seems to be another key feature that takes tones from good to fantastic.

I guess I should clarify that a bit more. Hes claiming his Axe-FX, Radial, and Profire, are going to give him as good of results as guys like Greg, and "Pro Quality" reamps that will rival the Pros.

So now I guess my comment is more relevant.

Well, main difference is that Greg knows his shit.

Cheers, and cheers again :oops:

Guitarguru, PM me. I'll shoot a few ideas in the right direction about the whole reamping thing. I'll try to outline all the mistakes I've made along the way.

Most of the bands I have worked with came in and say: We want something like this, then list a bunch of stuff to reference. 98% of the time what they want doesn't work with the other instruments they have recorded.

I really feel you need to have all the tracks present in order to make a good judgment as to what will work on a particular song / cd.

All of our rates vary. We had a big debate about this a few months ago where someone posted their prices and everyone had a fit, but I can tell you here on the board there is something for every budget.
Not interested in getting stuff reamped by other people, just curious as to what people charge. I've got a nice selection of pedals/amps/cabs/mics and got a couple of different mic pres ranging from coloured to clean. Also got a re-amp box and wouldn't mind offering a re-amp service for the extra business it might generate.

Reason I asked what do people ask for is because I've had people ask me to reamp stuff before and they pretty much speciifed the signal chain they wanted me to do it with, seeing as they were unfamiliar with a few of the amps I own.

Let him reamp a song and a forum mate(pretty shure someone is available for that).
If he don't accept(or hears) the differences in quality then he's a ...

Thats all in case that his reamps sound like his ego.

Having used by now... over 4 dozen different reamp services I could probably write you a 'do' or 'do not' bible from the point of view of the client, but really it's all summarized by:

-It's you, not the gear. By far the most important thing. You need the ability and insight to achieve the tones your clients want. So practice your arse off and don't limit yourself to one 'safe' technique that works for you but may not work for others.
-Standard principles apply - go from the bottom up. Get acoustic treatment, clean up your power, make sure your monitoring is good & maintain a clean signal chain.
-More mics mean more options for your client. This way you throw the tone chasing partially back into their court, and it can be greatly appreciated.
-Great tones from 2 amps and 1 cab trumps mediocre tones from 20 amps and 5 cabs.
-Listen to a wide cross section of top quality records regularly... religiously, until you gain an insight into how tones sit in relation to a full arrangement.

From a practical point of view, how does a client ask what he wants. Is it just "hey, reamp this through that old marshall with a stompbox in front of it" or more "reamp this through that '69 JMP with volume at 9, bass at 7, mids at 5,... with a keeley modded TS9 with tone at..." or "must sound like Jimi on LSD, but without the fuzz"?

I have some amps, some mics, interface, treated room... I just never offered it as a service.

From a practical point of view, how does a client ask what he wants. Is it just "hey, reamp this through that old marshall with a stompbox in front of it" or more "reamp this through that '69 JMP with volume at 9, bass at 7, mids at 5,... with a keeley modded TS9 with tone at..." or "must sound like Jimi on LSD, but without the fuzz"?

I have some amps, some mics, interface, treated room... I just never offered it as a service.

I dont like quoting myself, but a similar question was asked in another thread and this is what I said in response

I think you tell him what gear you want used and the overall direction of your desired tone.

And the reamper (lolzgreg) agreed with me