BIAS still the way to go for High gain tones?

Hi there,

I'm using amp sims for at least 10 years now - currently mostly Overloud TH3 and Thermionik.

Within the last year there had me a MASSIVE buzz for BIAS Amp and BIAS FX. I checked out the demo and indeed...the 5153 sound pretty wicked, as you can hear here...

The marketing strategy still confuses me. I don't want to fiddle around in the guts of the amp and I do need some effects (gate, overdrive, delay) so BIAS FX should be the way to go. BUT 160€ is still pretty much for an amp sim nowadays. Ot the way around: it included almost everything that the BIAS head has for over 1.000€...

What do you think?

Thank you very much! :)

If you already have Kazrog's Thermionik, look no further.

IMHO Bias only got popular because of heavy marketing, not because of its great sound. In fact, its sound quality reminds me more of the state of amp modeling 2002-2011 (2002 release of Line 6 PODxt, 2011 Kemper & Axe-FX II). The Age of Fizz.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vasyl Mishchenko
I fucking hate the sound of BIAS and their EQ matching marketed as AMP matching. That hi-gain distortion sounds wack as you'd put some kinda waveshaper distortion plugin + IR + EQ matching. Got to say that Lepou/ TSE/ Ignite amps free sims sounds WAY better. And if you want EQ matching there's maybe better and free option - made by fellow Sneapster deLuther:
link in description.

I'm so happy that I got on Thermionik, because it sound like and amp and the first time I heard that Marshall sim sounds like Marshall. Each amp has feel and character and doesn't feel like every other amp sim.
I had a chance to try a bit of TH3 and it wasn't bad. Johny from Thiori seems to love it and get amazing results from it.

Reactions: Vasyl Mishchenko
If you already have Kazrog's Thermionik, look no further.

IMHO Bias only got popular because of heavy marketing, not because of its great sound. In fact, its sound quality reminds me more of the state of amp modeling 2002-2011 (2002 release of Line 6 PODxt, 2011 Kemper & Axe-FX II). The Age of Fizz.
What? You compare Bias with Kemper?

No, what I meant to say is that until the release of the Kemper and Axe-FX in 2011 most amp modelling software and hardware sounded really fizzy. And BIAS reminds me of that.

OK, folks - great to hear that BIAS actually *is* the overrated shit I already afraid of.

Currently I'm into Thermionik as well, especially the Damage 120. Though I like the idea of having a suite, ideally added as a stand alone version at hand. Noisegate, overdrive, amp, impulse loader/cab, delay. TH3 is pretty awesome in that respect and I agree, that Johnny (ForTiorI) achieves very, very outstanding results with TH3!

No, what I meant to say is that until the release of the Kemper and Axe-FX in 2011 most amp modelling software and hardware sounded really fizzy. And BIAS reminds me of that.
Okey and I agree with you. Wasn't exactly impressed when I demoed Bias for my laptop when I can't use the Kemper. Ignite's Emissary sounds way better.

Though I like the idea of having a suite, ideally added as a stand alone version at hand. Noisegate, overdrive, amp, impulse loader/cab, delay.

What about Peavey's ReValver IV then? I still think that Kazrog's amp modelling sounds a little better, but if you want a suite ReValver would be a very good choice. Much better than Guitar Rig (did I already mention fiiizzzz?) or Bias. Haven't tried TH3, though.

I don't like BIAS at all for modern high gain tones. Its strength is in dirty sounds for Rock, Blues and Indie. Almost all effects/stompbox modellers in ampsim suites sound pretty lame - BIAS FX being the exception - so I usually just use different plugins for that.

Though it's already been mentioned and it's quite clear, I'm going to jump in an agree that BIAS is overrated and they are just going all-in in marketing.

The built-in impulses aren't great, and the tone in general isn't either. There are some ideas in there, like sharing online your settings and what no... other than that, just for the tone, it's definitely at the bottom of the list. On top of my head, what I can think of that sounds better

- Mercuriall
- Overloud
- LePou (free)
- Ignite Amps (free, especially the Emissary)
- TSE (free and paid version)
- Thermionik

Get impulses from either OwnHammer, Rosen Digital, Two Notes, and there are others (3 Sigma Audio, etc.)... and you'll be all set, with much better sounds than BIAS.

LOL, thanks for the hint with Revalver. Being 3 years (!) old by now I almost forgot about it...and I bought it back in those times. Just gave a quick check with the 6505 and external IRs (3Sigma and Rosen) it sounded pretty well. Maybe not as good as TH3 (which is the most organic / real to my ears) but anyway a good alternative :)

Just as an edit: I just encountered the plugins of Brainworx/Plugin Alliance. I'm normally not a big Rectifier fan but those Rectos of Brainworx rip some ass...I *never* heard such an fat and heavy ampsim. WOW!

I think there's no way for me avoiding spending 149$ right now, although I already own Thermionik, Revalver and TH3. But this thing...did I already say WOW? :)

I demoed Bias and always turning back to lepou stuff, the Krazrog amps are nice too.

I think you get more useful tones with lepou and a good impulses, like ownhammer or the new celestion one's

I just downloaded their free IRs, then bought the Vintage 30 pack.
In comparison to the 3SA Mesa 4x12 the Celestion Plus 4x12 somehow sounds "throatier", has a lot more low mids growl that cuts through the mix really well, while the 3SA impulses sound smoother.