BIG Iced Earth (bad) news!

I'll never listen to Iced Earth again Hansi were to join. :vomitslag:

Goreripper said:
What gets me about this though is both of them going "9/11 made me realise that what I do is pretty insignificant" blah blah blah. I'M SO SICK OF HEARING THAT! After Japan bombed Pearl Harbor in 1941, did Bob Hope say "I'm going to stop being an entertainer because it's shallow?" Did Clark Gable say "I'm not going to be an actor anymore?" NO! Why? Because after an event like that, we need our entertainers more than ever! Their contribution to the healing process is just as important as the guy who drives the ambulance with an injured person in it. Sure, it might many people think about what they're doing with their lives, but what if every band, singer, actor, film-maker etc. turned around after an event like that and said "Oh, we're not going to entertain anymore. It's shallow and there's no point. I'm going to become a government drone instead, because that will give my life purpose"?

It's fucking WEAK, people!

I agree. Its a weak lousy excuse. When I was first told I thought the person was just taking the piss...until I read it myself of course.

Well at least the new D&W will come out alot earlier than expected :D Jon aint got anything better to do atm anyway :D Well apart from looking for a vocalist and lead guitarist anyway :)

Bad news re Mr Barlow. He'll be very difficult to replace. I don't understand why he'd want to give up being in a band like IE for a role in the public service. I'm going for public service jobs, but I'm bloody prefer to be a rock star!

What's the deal with Ripper and JP? Everyone I know who saw them in 2001 said that he was fantastic, and there was no need to think about Halford anymore. If
he's that good, why get rid of him?

I think he just wanted job security, maybe he wants to have kids with his wife and everything, I dont know, but I dont think its that much of a stretch to think 9/11 might have made him ask himself what his priorities are and he realised what he wanted more :)

Why get rid of Ripper? The money! :) Rob comes back and they get a heap of money from touring, and they are over 50 as it is, times running out for them :)

This is rrrreeeeeeeeeeaaaaaallllllyyyyy fucked. :cry:

I agree with pretty much everything everyone has said, but I don't think IE's number is up just yet. It all depends on where they go from here. I know there are lots of talented vocalists out there, but I have never heard anyone sing like Barlow, he was truly awesome. Even if someone technically better than him were to be his replacement, it could all go wrong. Barlow had character and personality in his voice, and unless he is replaced with someone who can do more than just sing, IE will be fucked. Jon really needs to just take the time to make sure he gets the right replacement, and if that means writing more material for a new singer to sing, and keep The Glorious Burden on the shelf for the time being, then so be it.

On the positive side, I think the new D&W will be great, and it should come out sooner now, as long as Hansi can find the time.

Also, can anyone else really imagine this great rock star vocalist giving it all up to go to uni? Imagine being in the guys class, its just weird.

I was just writing about that on my journal :) A voice like that never being used is almost a crime :cry:

Why would it be the end of IE? Iced Earth = Jon Schaffer, doesn't it? Didn't he say once that everyone in the band apart from him was expendable?

Matty Barlow will go ahead with his long-awaited project, an off-Broadway one-man stage show on the life of Paul Stanley. You heard it here first!

Hansi'd be awesome.

He's one of my favourite vocalists.

I loved Matty's voice... even though he sounded like he was trying to impersonate Cartman at times ;)

:ill: :ill: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I love IE's stuff with Matt.... It's one hell of a loss for everyone who liked Matt's voice....

As for IE without matt... Who knows! At the moment it's hard in my mind to imagine IE wihtout his voice. Fuck!

Hansi in IE? naaaaaaaaaaaah!

Sydo said:
Ripper would be incredible in Iced Earth, but I doubt it would happen. He may not be having the best of times in Priest, and his future there is anything but secure - but would he leave?

ok that means he will leave priest!!!!!! yay - I vote.... ( the lone halford fan scurries back under his rock).:loco:

Oh and that sucks for Iced earth!. Matt has such a focus in the band and has carved the defined sound of the band. Good luck dudes.......

But a few of the things he says i agree with, especially the rock star and Money shit!

This is a kick in the nuts that I didnt expect to read this morning....

For me, I wont really look at Iced Earth the same anymore. I mean, I will buy the new album, but I will think of it as Jon Schaffer plus some musicians. Not Iced Earth. If any of the other members had left and Matt + Jon were still in the band, then I wouldnt have a problem.]

But in my mind, Iced Earth has always been defined by Matt and Jon. I got into them just after Something Wicked, so I dont know what it was like when they had that other singer. Without Matt, they will not be one of my favorite bands.