"Big" Sounding Vocals

silverwulf said:
I've brought them in a bit at times too, to around 85% left right. Other times I'm still hitting it 100 to both sides. anyone else here not panning 100% left and right on guitars?

When I'm layering guitars, I do tend to put the second l/r pair at about 80% or so. I'm only in my second semester of audio engineering, though... I do have some demos I did in first semester though up at my myspace (www.myspace.com/stormland) if anybody would be willing to critique them and tell me how to improve.

back to the vocals:

actually, when i did recordings with my band, the vocals always sounded too big. :err: We have two vocalists "singing" Nile-style. The hardest job for me is always to tweak their vocals into the rest of the mix, not to make them too dominant.

I'm using an AKG Solid Tube most of the time. It really sounds huge. Maybe I should switch to a more weak sounding mic. :tickled:

Could it be that you're get a ton of low-end due to proximity effect? The classic death growls have a tendancy to get a ton of lows.

Btw, I can't stop laughing at that picture of Barney. That frame right there is legendary.

Moonlapse said:
Could it be that you're get a ton of low-end due to proximity effect? The classic death growls have a tendancy to get a ton of lows.

Btw, I can't stop laughing at that picture of Barney. That frame right there is legendary.

Yep, thats it. I always have to put out a lot of the lows at mixing.
I also had the luck that i was just working with quite powerful vocalist.

Anyway, I think its a bad sign when u have to make a vocalist sound "bigger". What are they doing on stage then.
What I hate is when i listen to a record where the vocals are really impressive, and then i watch the band live and you realise that they try to power up the voice with several effects. I had this situation with Illdisposed. It sounded like they used chorus and pitch shift and whatever to make him sound like on the record. But it was just messed up live. You can realise on the record as well that they used some stuff, but in a better way.

Haha, yeah Barney..... I love when they are burping.