Bigger and glued !?

theblackmoon

Casa Negra
May 15, 2006
Anyplace - World
www.myspace.com
I´m having a hard time getting my productions to sound BIGGER and with that feeling of things glued together. I posted a clip of a pre-prod. of a upcoming project to ilustrate what I´m trying to say.

DFHS
PodXT
No sound replacement (BD only)

Clip here

I would like to thank some people, Mendel, Elephant Audio and the guy from Backmask, last but not least Metalguru. Directly and indirectly you all helped me improve a lot!

Any coments are apreciated.

I think the voicing is too greenback sounding for metal. Would be a decent classic sound with the gain backed down.

I usually boost the "pop" range of the snare like 2db. Take an equalizer that is an analyzer at the same time. watch for the peak. then slightly boost that. For compression I use something like: attack 8ms, Ratio 3:1 OR if it's played really powerfully 1:1,5, release 0, threshold like cutting 6db minimum.05sec(I usually put the release time so that It can come back even on the 16th notes/32th notes). When using samples, I use a limiter to slam it.

But the way you get it working is to try and tweak and wank your ass off.

it would probably sound bigger with actual air moving from speakers. the pod is great and i know everyone is not in the same position as i am and cant make noise 24/7. but now even when im writing i use a miced amp cranked because it just sounds so much huger then the pod no matter that i do with the pod. i actually just sold my xt since i have no use for it these days.

Guitar is wayy too dry and digital sounding. Try tweaking ur guitar sound a bit and then after you track it play it back through your monitors and mic it up. Track the Miked Monitor. And did you double track the guitar? Or did you copy+paste your part?
Hope that helps.

also try adding some nice reverb to your individual drumtracks.
as already mentioned, you need more overall bass.
plus master bus eq and compression is super useful.

DeathByDrums said:
Guitar is wayy too dry and digital sounding. Try tweaking ur guitar sound a bit and then after you track it play it back through your monitors and mic it up. Track the Miked Monitor. And did you double track the guitar? Or did you copy+paste your part?
Hope that helps.

Thanks everyone for being so helpful!

I played 4 times, two diferent amps, MSCriminal and Smash. Both same level, maybe 2 -3 db diference. Tracking the miced up monitor seems a cool idea, I´l try it out.

I´m strugling to get some money to buy a real amp, but my local scene is really week this year, and I have to pay some bills...