Celestion T75 Impulse Responses, PODxt and 5150

First the clips, FANTASTIC.

I downloaded the impulse files, as well as Voxengo Pristinespace.

Do I just use one of the impulse files at a time. And scroll through them in Pristinespace, or should I use several. Even just using one (incase I was to you use more then that) made a hugh difference in my VAMP-Pro. I turned of the cab emulation, sounded like crap going in, but then running through the Pristinespace vst (again, just using 1 of the wav files at a time from the impulse file download), made a huge difference.

Welcome aboard!

You can mix several different impulses on a single plugin (4 stereo, 8 mono). On the lower left, there should be a little box above the word "quality" labeled "1". Click and drag for however many impulses you want for the one plugin. Now, in the middle there are different "slots" for the impulses. Make sure to click on the appropriate slot to edit the settings. Also, make sure to change the "Aud In" values to 1 & 2 for each slot, if you're using multiple impulses for a single track. And finally, play with the wet/dry on each slot to mix the impulse levels to taste.

I haven't really gone into the other settings, such as EQ, Width, etc. (I'm not sure if anyone uses these, actually, namely the impulse "discoverer", Mr. Splatt.:cool: )

cteets said:
First the clips, FANTASTIC.

I downloaded the impulse files, as well as Voxengo Pristinespace.
Take a look at Voxengo's AFImpulse... it's better suited for this if you're doing just one Impulse. It's in the Analogflux Suite

kp-

Moonlapse said:
Hopefully amp sim makers will adopt the approach of actually taking impulses as opposed to trying to model the cab/air/mic factor algorithmically. I mean if a V-amp2 sounds decent through them, you know something is being done right!

Line6 cabs are not the greatest but they did use convolution. I honestly doubt that people can shoot the cabs better than Line6 because they were one of the first, if not the first, to do it.

Its just that people are sick of those cabs. Heck..Im sick of my real cabs but at least I can move the mic.:) Thats the real problem with modelers

Phase said:
Line6 cabs are not the greatest but they did use convolution. I honestly doubt that people can shoot the cabs better than Line6 because they were one of the first, if not the first, to do it.

Its just that people are sick of those cabs. Heck..Im sick of my real cabs but at least I can move the mic.:) Thats the real problem with modelers

If my cab (or anyones) sounds better than a line6 modelled cab.. the impulse of it is better than the line 6.

Executioner213 said:
I can't figure out how to get Splat's patches to work. I tried to open them with Pristine Space, but it just said "invalid file type". Is there something I'm missing? AARRRGGG!!

EDIT 2006aug15: Impulse Zip File

um.zip - files I've collected from here. I believe Splat's Mesa cab as a wav file is included. but, I'm confused as to who made what. also, someone here has a thread to collect files. I don't remember the thread.

kp-

Phase said:

It is obvious that even with powerfull computers full convultion takes a lot of processing power. Line 6 have used convultion, but we don't know in what way, and what is power of DSP in POD. Judging by CPU consumption of their software that depends on CPU (in toneport and guitarport) it seems that it is not using much more of processing power than some of the more demanding VST plugs. So maybe they have used tricks here and there to reduce CPU consumption and sacrified a bit of quality. Do they really have a single impulse for every box or it is just a few of them, modified with EQ? Do they use full convultion, or just partially, as it is also possible (waves reverb uses this technique for reverb, only part of the impulse can be used to reduce processing power.). Then it comes to commercial choices: What is sound we think people will like the most when testing POD in store? (That may not be sound that works best for recording) What micing technique we have used etc. Kazrog impulse may work better not because he does anything more advanced than Line 6 but because he has very narrow and focused idea of sound he likes, sound that a lot of people here like. Etc.

Keiffer said:
Here's two zip files of cabs

http://personal.lig.bellsouth.net/z/i/ziggyk/Cabs/

conduit.zip - quite a few of my own samples of my cabs. I'm liking 25 to 27 right now. check the txt file for some details.

um.zip - files I've collected from here. I believe Splat's Mesa cab as a wav file is included. but, I'm confused as to who made what. also, someone here has a thread to collect files. I don't remember the thread.

kp-
Thanks. You may consider putting those files on rapidshare or similar service, as I see you have quite a limited bandwidht there. Unable to download until tomorrow.

I still can't figure out how to get my sound as present with this as most of samples that you guys put up....I'm also getting this buzzy sound that I really don't like (I was having this problem before though, when I was micing my amp). I'll post a sample of what I have tonight....gotta go to work now.

Dushan S said:
It is obvious that even with powerfull computers full convultion takes a lot of processing power. Line 6 have used convultion, but we don't know in what way, and what is power of DSP in POD. Judging by CPU consumption of their software that depends on CPU (in toneport and guitarport) it seems that it is not using much more of processing power than some of the more demanding VST plugs. So maybe they have used tricks here and there to reduce CPU consumption and sacrified a bit of quality. Do they really have a single impulse for every box or it is just a few of them, modified with EQ? Do they use full convultion, or just partially, as it is also possible (waves reverb uses this technique for reverb, only part of the impulse can be used to reduce processing power.). Then it comes to commercial choices: What is sound we think people will like the most when testing POD in store? (That may not be sound that works best for recording) What micing technique we have used etc. Kazrog impulse may work better not because he does anything more advanced than Line 6 but because he has very narrow and focused idea of sound he likes, sound that a lot of people here like. Etc.

I think your right on Bro

Line6 matches what the hear after all the shooting of components is done. A lot of people dont understand the comparisons that they do. We have all played enough amps and cabs--and heard others with the same gear--yet we do not sound the same. Line6 and other companies can only produce what sound *They get. The sounds that they give us is less than 1% of what we could get with the real amp and different micing techniques--so impuses allow more variation

But if these new impulses were already in the Pod to begin with and we heard them for 2 years and then someone posted up the original ones---people would say they are awesome. Its the same reason we sick get of our wives or girlfriends. Whats new can seem better. Line6 cabs are very polished too..there are no thuds or hardness on the lowend--and even though these are imperfections..we hear them on metal albums all the time as a brutal type of sound---this is where newer impulses are helpful.

BTW

the secret to achieveing more of the freedom you have when placing a real mic on a cab is possible, to some extent, is using the method that Tritone Digital did with Hydrotone. Realtime convolution...problem is the power needed.

Hey Splat,

Sorry to go off subject but I gotta know your setup for DFHS. I am using Cubase and DFHS, have Waves plug-ins and have been fighting forever to get that sound. Could you shoot me a message with any plug-in configurations, eq, mixing, etc. that you are using? Thanks bro!

Landon

Splat: I'm also still confused as to what I'm supposed to do with your "settings". I've got pristine space and boogex, and when I try to load anything from what I downloaded of yours, it says "wrong file type". AM I FUCKING RETARDED? I'm getting closer to achieving pretty good sounds, though, now that I got Pristine Space going. I can't wait to try my Triaxis through it, rather than this POD Pro I'm using now.

Keiffer said:
EDIT 2006aug15: Impulse Zip File

kp-

um.zip doesnt seem to work, any chance you could reupload it somewhere else?

also, what are the differences in the a,b,c,d files from your impulses?