More fun with the PODxt - New song

Splat88

Jan 31, 2006
Vegas
With the advent of Revalver II I thought my PODxt was done for. Unfortunately, I only have the demo and its a major resource hog once you start quad tracking so I went back to my trusty PODxt for another go at it. I used my ESP with Dimarzio super distortions into a real TS-9 in front of the POD on this one with the Triple Rectifier model. How does this song sound?

The drums are merely a work-in-progress. A real drummer with be replacing those shitty drumbeats I put down in the very near future.

Click here

Its the one called "No name yet"

A bit bright to my ears yet very nice tone and song too! You kick ass splat, always... love ur stuffs...

When will you put this out with a full band?! Id like to hear your stuffs released out!

I liked the lead tone alot, could you give out any details for these tones, Rhythm and Lead tone?

Really cool song man. I had the same problem when I was messing with Revalver. I didn't really get good enough tones to wanna purchase it though. Who knows...

The Podxt is much easier on the CPU :cool:

I was listening to your stuff the other night and came accross this thread just now, You are getting a good tone out of the Xt, probably one of the best I have heard. I really like the heavily reverbed guitar part that kicks in throughout the background of the song. Kinda reminds me of the part in the crow. Any chance of getting the patch?

How do you use your TS9 infront of the pod? till now i haven't realy gotten any succes with pedals infront of the pod!

And what JCRG said, like the guitarthingy in the background, how did you mix that in man?

I recall he said sometime ago he runs 4 differents instances of DFH... so on that way he gets more control over the pieces of kit making it easier to mix sum to it his good talent (ears) :)

Thanks a lot for all the comments guys!

In response to questions posted above...

The guitar tone is indeed bright and needs some work I think. Back to the drawing board...

I use the TS9 with the following settings: Drive 0, tone straight up, level about 10-11 o'clock.

As far as the background guitars go, I just used a flanger and delay effect on a guitar chord that I just hammered away at and mixed in low under the other instruments.

And CJ, thanks a lot! As far as the drums go, the beats are nothing special but I like the tone of the drums. That's Mr. Slate's drum samples at work. On the kick I never boost lows, I always cut sharp holes in them at 120 and 170 to get them to punch. I usually high pass with very steep curves at 40-50 hz also to get the rumble out. Then I love to use Voxengo's marquis compressor on the snapper preset on the kick and adjust threshold for 4dbs gain reduction. That plugin is amazing. For the snare, I just use a waves Q10 >>> Waves C1 compressor with 1ms release, 20ms attack and 10dbs gr on each hit. I run that into a freeware clipper and slam it until it snaps extremely loud. Occasionally I gate after that for attack.

For the tuning I used drop C.

And CJ, thanks a lot! As far as the drums go, the beats are nothing special but I like the tone of the drums. That's Mr. Slate's drum samples at work. On the kick I never boost lows, I always cut sharp holes in them at 120 and 170 to get them to punch. I usually high pass with very steep curves at 40-50 hz also to get the rumble out. Then I love to use Voxengo's marquis compressor on the snapper preset on the kick and adjust threshold for 4dbs gain reduction. That plugin is amazing. For the snare, I just use a waves Q10 >>> Waves C1 compressor with 1ms release, 20ms attack and 10dbs gr on each hit. I run that into a freeware clipper and slam it until it snaps extremely loud. Occasionally I gate after that for attack.

Thanks for the tips dude.

The strangest part is I always, always use the Marquis compressor on my Drum Buss using that very same preset as my golden starting point, haha. So odd.

Only I pull the threshold wayyy down so it's absolutely slamming, set the mode to 'linear' as opposed to 'phasey' and adjust my dry level to taste. Works a real treat.

I've really got to try a clipper at the end of my snare chain.

Anyone have any recommendations on a clip limiter for ptle thats osx compatible? I do have vst to rtas wrapper, i just could never find a vst or rtas plug that was osx compatible. I got a couple i use in cakewalk on my pc but i was looking to not have to move between computers just to use those plugs. Thanks for any help gents!!