More fun with impulses

Splat88

Jan 31, 2006
Vegas
Here's a lame riff I just threw together in Cubase SX. I ran my PODxt with cab sims off right into Cubase and into Kaomao's Marshall V30 impulse file. Its the 5150 poweramp into Marshall V30 cab response, not the first one he posted. Its an excellent cabinet impulse BTW. The guitar tracks on the left are a rectifier type EQ added afterwards while the tracks on the right are more like a 5150.
I mixed it in 20 minutes and with headphones and the riff is lame as hell, but does it sound authentic at least?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=404561

Sounds pretty damn good. Sounds a lot better than the PODxt all on it's own, IMO. I just wish I could get impulses working for me so *I* can do stuff like this... :(

~006

Guys I can give you the original wave file (the one not deconvolved), then you can work on it to make it work on your favorite convolution plugin.
As soon as I get home I'll post the original file, it's just the sine wave through my 5150 poweramp into the v30's cab.
The special secret I forgot to say is that I run the signal from digi002 output to 5150 poweramp section (return of the amp) through a reamp unit, so the signal is like a guitar signal.
But I think it works even if you're not using a reamp unit, I used it just because I had a lot of noise, just like you have when you run a D.I. track through the input of the amp.

Keregioz said:
It sounds good... but the riff doesn't help to draw any conclusions. I would prefer to hear more open chords and faster palm mutting...

I'll post some more files.

Daunt said:
Sounds good! It would be really nice to get this impulse in a format that works with SIR.

Yeah, all the other cabinet impulses work in SIR except this one. Kaomao must have used a different type of deconvolution. The V30 files acts as a reverb in SIR, not a cabinet emulation. Sounds great in pristine space.

kaomao said:
What do you mean a rectifier type eq added afterwards...?
you mean that with a plugin you analyzed the eq spectrum of a rectifier (found on a recording/you have recorded etc etc) and then you applied the same spectrum to the pod xt track?

Yeah, the 'mesa' tone has a big EQ bass boost, mid cut, while the 5150 has more midrange EQ. They are both using the same patch, which is the L6 Big Bottom.

hey splat88, i was wondering, what convolution plug did you use on this one? it sounds great! and would you mind sharing how many tracks of guitar there are/how theyre panned/differences in them?

s34nsm411 said:
hey splat88, i was wondering, what convolution plug did you use on this one? it sounds great! and would you mind sharing how many tracks of guitar there are/how theyre panned/differences in them?

Thanks! I use Voxengo Anlogflux Impulse. Its a stripped down version of Pristine Space that uses less processing power. Sounds identical, you just can't control dry/wet ratios. Its set at 100 wet full-time.

There's 4 guitar tracks. Two panned 100% L&R and two more panned 50% L&R and about half as loud.