Impulses rock

Jackal_Strain said:
Hey conspiracy bass! What amp did you use for that clip?

No amp. Its just a Johnson J-station on the Mesa setting (w/o cab. emulation).

I ran Waves C4 on the recorded wav and then used Cakewalk's Perfect Space with Kaomao's impulse. I also eq-ed the implused inside PS.

[edit: Also, in case you wanted to know. I used a Gibson Les Paul Standard with a DiMarzio D-Sonic.]

Daunt said:
How many of you use the impulses in realtime? I mean when you play your guitars in? I get huge latency with Cubase SX3 and SIR. I have set the latency to 6 ms in Firebox's control panel.

i set the buffer to 64 and i get very little latency using Altiverb with my fireface 800.

I'm just getting into this impulse thing like the rest of you guys and I have a question. In order to use the impulse files correctly I have to record the guitar signal with no cab simulation(assuming I'm using a pod) right?
My problem is that playing with no cab simulation on is really uninspiring and in lack of better words, lame. Is there someway to record, yet play with a decent sound and still use the impulses? I hope i made myself clear.

Jackal_Strain said:
I'm just getting into this impulse thing like the rest of you guys and I have a question. In order to use the impulse files correctly I have to record the guitar signal with no cab simulation(assuming I'm using a pod) right?
My problem is that playing with no cab simulation on is really uninspiring and in lack of better words, lame. Is there someway to record, yet play with a decent sound and still use the impulses? I hope i made myself clear.

Well I've been reading this Impulse stuff from the beginning. If I'm correct you simply choose an audiotrack in, let's say, Cubase. Assign the pod to that and then also assign Voxengo Pristine with an impulse loaded to that track.
Now you play the pod with the impulse loaded directly.

kaomao said:
...here the wir file for IR-1 from waves, I can't create in IR-1 the wave file... well actually I don't know if it's possible....

Hey Kaomao, I realise this is an odd request, but I don't suppose there's any chance of getting the sine waves you used to make the impulse? Both the generated one and the recorded one? It'd be greatly appreciated!

Steve

I've downloaded some impulses that I found on this board and sound great, but volume of the track become to low. What am I doing wrong here? I'm using them with IR-1.
And do you guys set the reverb time to lowest posible? What about wet/dry?

Atheist said:
I've downloaded some impulses that I found on this board and sound great, but volume of the track become to low. What am I doing wrong here? I'm using them with IR-1.
And do you guys set the reverb time to lowest posible? What about wet/dry?

Make sure you have a hot input to begin with. The volume is a little lower, but nothing that extreme. Just turn the output up. Do not change reverb time or the impulse will sound different and mix it 100% wet.

I have found that the same exact impulses sound FAR different in Waves IR than they do in any of the other Impulse programs. They all sound the same in Pristine Space, Perfect Space, SIR, etc. But I would not recommend using Waves IR unless you created the impulse in Waves IR.

::XeS:: said:
Pod cab simulator sounds not real at all. They can sound good but..not real. If you compare a riff recorded through an amp (for example one of the riff posted by andy on this forum) and a riff recorded with pod, there is a lot of difference...If you compare a riff with one recorded with impulse...it's similar..there isn't the "plastic" sound on it, there is the "low end" when you play a palm mute (with v-amp you don't ear any low end with palm mute).
The difficult thing is play guitar without cab simulator when you record: you have not the right "sensibility" because you ear a different "sound" with that raw distortion.
If you're using a v-amp 2 you can set it that one channel uses built in cab simulation and one use no simulation!

Impulses sound much better than this build in simu and they cut much better in the mix... I think the build in simulation just try to EQ the signal like a cab