Impulses rock

Hmm, how do you use it with Pristine Space? I succeeded in applying the wave file to my FX Send output recording of my Powerball, but the file is EXTREMELY quiet, and when I manually lift it back to normal volume, there's a very high pitched sine-type pitchsquealing on top of it, and despite having an average RMS of -15 dB, it's still very quiet. There must be something I missed in Pristince Space... any ideas? :)

Here's the processed test recording:

http://koti.mbnet.fi/juhau/test.mp3

I also tried adjusting the output volumes in Pristince Space, but much much before it was at usable level, I suddenly only got static signal which peaked at +24 dB :S

Fixed ;)

Anyways, here's a quickie riff test I did on "full scale" with the impulse system (4 guitar tracks + "bass" aka pitchshifted guitar):

http://koti.mbnet.fi/juhau/Impulse.mp3

Not bad for an FX loop recording :lol:

Just for comparison, here's a recording I did yesterday in the real way, miked up cabinet:

http://koti.mbnet.fi/juhau/anthromorph.mp3

I frankly can't find any difference in the real recording and the impulse way except mic placement differences - but the basic sound is damn near identical :) and this way is much more reliable when recording over months (like me :p), the sound stays consistent ;)

kaomao said:
Now we all have to say this: Line6 fuck you!
Impulses are fucking better than the shitty cabs line6 has modelled

I'd have to agree! They claim they use impulse modeling, but I don't see how there's any way. The real impulse files definitely have a 'real' vibe to them, which I don't hear anywhere in the POD. Also, I don't know if this holds any value, but their firmware for version 3.01 is only 385kilobytes. I know each of my impulses are about 40kilobytes. 46 cabinets with 4 mic positions each would be close to 7MB in impulse files only. That's not even considering the space required for all the amp models, effects, etc. I guess they could have some sort of file compression, but 7MB down to 385k? I don't think so.

I bet the new modelers will feature better impulse files, at least I hope!

Splat88 said:
Also, I don't know if this holds any value, but their firmware for version 3.01 is only 385kilobytes. I know each of my impulses are about 40kilobytes. 46 cabinets with 4 mic positions each would be close to 7MB in impulse files only.

Probably because your files are all .wavs, whereas the POD ones are probably just one actual impulse style file and then a simple eq for each mic position - you can save 16-band eq settings in a file of around 50bytes.

You have to rememeber that the running impulses is intensive processor-wise; most plug-ins have a latency. The POD has way less processing power than your computer but still has to model an amp, any effects, and the cab, AND it has to avoid latency because it's designed (partly) for live use.

Steve

Suicide_As_Alibi said:
Probably because your files are all .wavs, whereas the POD ones are probably just one actual impulse style file and then a simple eq for each mic position - you can save 16-band eq settings in a file of around 50bytes.

You have to rememeber that the running impulses is intensive processor-wise; most plug-ins have a latency. The POD has way less processing power than your computer but still has to model an amp, any effects, and the cab, AND it has to avoid latency because it's designed (partly) for live use.

Steve

Yeah, I guess they would save it as an EQ curve rather than an actual impulse, but still, the POD cabs and impulses sounds totally different. Even the really bad impulses at least sound like a horribly miced up guitar speaker. Horrible, yet real at the same time. There's a a certain 'live' element to it. The POD cabs just sound fake to me - not real at all.

I may be wrong in this, since i haven't experimented with the impulses as much as i want, but i don't think they are THAT much better than pod cabs. They sounded great when i played, but when i placed them in a mix they didn't sound that much different than the pod cabs would. I've only tried podxt amp sims with the impulses though... maybe they work better with real amps line out?.

Pod cab simulator sounds not real at all. They can sound good but..not real. If you compare a riff recorded through an amp (for example one of the riff posted by andy on this forum) and a riff recorded with pod, there is a lot of difference...If you compare a riff with one recorded with impulse...it's similar..there isn't the "plastic" sound on it, there is the "low end" when you play a palm mute (with v-amp you don't ear any low end with palm mute).
The difficult thing is play guitar without cab simulator when you record: you have not the right "sensibility" because you ear a different "sound" with that raw distortion.

::XeS:: said:
Pod cab simulator sounds not real at all. They can sound good but..not real. If you compare a riff recorded through an amp (for example one of the riff posted by andy on this forum) and a riff recorded with pod, there is a lot of difference...If you compare a riff with one recorded with impulse...it's similar..there isn't the "plastic" sound on it, there is the "low end" when you play a palm mute (with v-amp you don't ear any low end with palm mute).
The difficult thing is play guitar without cab simulator when you record: you have not the right "sensibility" because you ear a different "sound" with that raw distortion.

I can still hear the "plastic" element of pod when using the impulses...especially in a full mix.

Keregioz said:
I can still hear the "plastic" element of pod when using the impulses...especially in a full mix.

That's the POD, not the impulses. THe PODxt tone into a poweramp is not very good.

Maybe I'm a dumbass,...
but could someone tell me how to use the impulses right?!

I recorded my guitar clean and normaly I use Amplitube which is fine for my needs. For the impulse-method I just disable the cab in amplitube and boogex or IR-L from waves to simulate the cab (I use the 5150 impulse from Kaomao).

My problem is, that I didn't know how to use IR-L or Boogex right to sound it good. I really don't know how to disable the preamp section in voxengo boogex. It sounds horrible :Smug:

Cheers, Markus.

Splat88 said:
That's the POD, not the impulses. THe PODxt tone into a poweramp is not very good.

Yes, you're right. I was referring on XeS's comment that when you use the impulse on podxt there's no "plastic" sound.
You can't blame the impulses for the plastic sound... but then you can't blame pod's cabs either.