New BACKMASK recording (5150 II + Impulses)

stringy_ said:
Not to sound like a broken record...but the impulse file?

:cool:

Figured you might have found it by now. Unfortunately a power generator caught fire at my web host ISP, and my server is down right now. Dead serious!

Can anyone else help him out?

Kazrog said:
Thanks! BACKMASK is my project in the sense that I started the band with a self-produced demo a few years ago and that I still write and perform 90% or more of the music and lyrics. Right now BACKMASK is me and a bassist. We've had our share of member changes, most recently a guitarist and drummer left the band. It's been very difficult finding the right musicians, but ultimately I've kept the project going in spite of some challenges and occasional self-doubt.

Occasionally I've wondered if I should just stop trying to find band members and finish a complete new album on my own that's representative of where I'm at musically now. Playing shows, lineup changes, etc. have distracted me from that goal sufficiently enough to where the only full-length album I've ever done was in 2000, and it was pretty horrible production-wise because I had no idea what I was doing.

It's been a learning experience, for sure, and I really appreciate all the feedback you guys have been giving me here since late 2004 when I started posting.
didnt you have evan pitts on bass at one point?
ex devildriver
a friend on aim showed me backmask a while ago and we were both heavily into devildriver
and he said that evan was helping you out for a couple shows on bass
is that true?
just wondering

Pman said:
didnt you have evan pitts on bass at one point?

Evan was playing with us for a while in 2004 and 2005. At first he filled in on bass and then switched to guitar (his instrument of choice.) He's a great musician and a great friend, but he was busy with other projects and we eventually continued with another guitarist (who quit a couple of weeks ago.)

That all being said, the only guitarist who's ever been on a BACKMASK recording is me. :lol:
(not by design, it's just how things have panned out.)

Kazrog said:
Figured you might have found it by now. Unfortunately a power generator caught fire at my web host ISP, and my server is down right now. Dead serious!

Can anyone else help him out?

Got it man! After posting that last one I...uh...found the search feature. Who would have thought it was on the bar at the top of the page in plain site? :Smug:

Anywho, sorry for bugging ya'.

Sorry about the fire!

Shane, I think I know what you mean about the super-triggered sound. For me, it's almost as if it was completely meant to be that way. I'm sure if you wanted a more natural sounding snare as far as humanizing goes you would surely work on it. But this tells me that it's meant to be like that based on how you wanted the drums to come out. Nothing wrong with that, and I like it as well. Sometimes with some songs it's just killing the music, but other times it fits right in, like in this case. Good sound for everything though, can't wait to see you release an album, I'd definitely be one of the first in line to order a copy. :)

Also, dunno if you have seen my thread yet, but I'm trying to put together a gear list for the studio I'm going to have next year in my new home (which will be purchased early next year). I'm split between an RME interface and a MOTU. I'd really like the MOTU 2408mkIII becuase of it's PCIe connection, but the FireFace 800 offers a better set of connections, i.e. all sets can be used simultaneously, whereas the MOTU only lets you use three sets simultaneously. So I wouldn't be able to use all three ADAT ins + the line inputs on the MOTU simultaneously...but then on the RME it only has two ADAT ins plus the 8 lines...BAH! Too many pros/cons for each peice of gear. I'm going to go nuts before December, I just know it.

~e.a

Really cool music. And obviously.. guitar tone slays \m/

Dunno if this has been mentioned, but the main hi hat is really obvious. Sitting on top of everything, with no dynamics, and not a really aggressive vibe. Sounds like a weak hit, on a small hat that is too open... this IMO makes it too articulate and bright(crisp?) which is what makes it too obvious.

Harder hits/less open hats give more of a wash of noise on the attack as the cymbals come together fast, which sounds more aggressive and can be easier to get away with mix wise perhaps. Just being a bit bigger/darker it should sit a bit deeper. But maybe just panning and turning down a touch and maybe some verb could bring it into it's place. Just a little bit of variance in dynamics could help a lot too.

It's just.. a real hi hat would never ever sound like that no matter how it's played or produced.

Genius Gone Insane said:
+1 for the :worship: PX100 headphones

I don't know about any one else, but I'm listening through $10 Sony headphones from Target and it seems just a little bit off to the side - I'm used to trying to figure out if my hearing's all right after concerts if I've been standing to the side of the stage (so one ear got hit more) and if you spend enough time trying to hear the same volume in both ears to make sure your ears are clean and undamaged little things like +/- 1-2% pan difference (or even not hitting all of the levels right in Cubase and having one track up by less than 1/2db gain) focusing on one thing right in the middle (and used as often as a snare) can give that sort of thing away.

For the less obsessive-compulsive among us, though, not noticeable and a great mix. Are any of the Waves EQs able to get that same 'bite' in the way you did, or does it not have the 'mojo'?

Jeff

Benny H said:
Really cool music. And obviously.. guitar tone slays \m/

Dunno if this has been mentioned, but the main hi hat is really obvious.

Thanks! Everything you're saying is 100% true, and I hate the hi hat. I've been using this same one for about 3 years now for some stupid reason (busy, bigger fish to fry, etc.) The other day I was fed up and was finally going to swap it out for a different sample, but I've been having some issues getting BFD to work lately that I've been meaning to contact fxpansion and MOTU about (I snag a lot of sample from BFD and put them into Battery), so the old hat is here for now. But it will be swapped out for something better before the album's done.

Thanks for the great feedback!

Guitar tone and vocals completely slay, as stated, my only complaint is with the drums - I'd just like to hear it with something like DFHS.

That said, I can tell you panned the snare even on my MacBook speakers. :lol:

DSS3 said:
Guitar tone and vocals completely slay, as stated, my only complaint is with the drums - I'd just like to hear it with something like DFHS.

That said, I can tell you panned the snare even on my MacBook speakers. :lol:

Thanks! I don't like DFHS nearly as much as the drums I've put on here. I own DFHS and have spent a lot of time with it.

Really? I have DFHS and I remember you saying you didn't like it, but I honestly think you could be getting much better sounds with it.

Have you tried Thordendals settings? Starting from those is what really got mine sounding good.

DSS3 said:
Really? I have DFHS and I remember you saying you didn't like it, but I honestly think you could be getting much better sounds with it.

Have you tried Thordendals settings? Starting from those is what really got mine sounding good.

would you mind posting those?

DSS3 said:

I'll give it a try. I need to update my software too.

The main thing I don't like is that the MIDI is totally nonstandard, but they insist that if you use General MIDI mapping that you are "downgrading" the sonic possibilities. I'd have to totally redo my drum MIDI if I want to "upgrade..." kind of annoying.

Niiiice tone Shane!

Cool song as well, not quite as cool as "feed the enemy" though.. that's still my favorite, but congrats on the tone, it sounds like the real deal to me!

ApolloSpeed said:
I got it..... that tone sounds exactly like the guitar tone of Fear Factory on Achetype! WOW! amazingly close to the tone, it's so crazy!:worship:

Thanks! I don't listen to that album very often, but I remember the tone being decent. Any idea what Christian's rig is?