New BACKMASK recording (5150 II + Impulses)

Definitely a killer tone man, one of my favorite's that I've heard on the board. I really like the song and playing as a whole, I'm sure it'll be killer with vocals and all!
How do you like the THD for this application? I'm assuming you plug it into your speaker out as you would a cab and then from the THD to your interface?

I've experimented very quickly with going out of the ENGL's FX send into my interface with the impulses only to sub-par results, maybe I didn't tweak around long enough. The Hotplate sounds like the way to go though..

Great stuff..

Charlie

Nitronium Blood said:
I have not heard your tone yet Shane.

Would you ever consider purchasing a 6505 (Aka 5150 MkI), or are you fully satisfied with the +?

I am 100% happy with the 6505+, it's the best amp I've ever owned and the best tone I've ever gotten! :headbang:

CJWall said:
Definitely a killer tone man, one of my favorite's that I've heard on the board. I really like the song and playing as a whole, I'm sure it'll be killer with vocals and all!
How do you like the THD for this application? I'm assuming you plug it into your speaker out as you would a cab and then from the THD to your interface?

Thanks! Your assumptions are correct, however I could alternatively connect my head's preamp out to my audio interface whilst using the THD as "just a dummy load." I haven't tried it yet but I should, perhaps it will yield better results.

By the way, I checked out your band on MySpace, seriously amazing stuff, how did you record the guitars? Also, is that a DFH china cymbal I hear? I think we're using the same one. :lol:

Kazrog said:
Thanks! Your assumptions are correct, however I could alternatively connect my head's preamp out to my audio interface whilst using the THD as "just a dummy load." I haven't tried it yet but I should, perhaps it will yield better results.

By the way, I checked out your band on MySpace, seriously amazing stuff, how did you record the guitars? Also, is that a DFH china cymbal I hear? I think we're using the same one. :lol:

thanks man! Guitars were ENGL Fireball > 1960a > 57 > m-audio pre > Cubase..

haha, that's the one thing I dislike about DFH1, the cymbals are a dead give away.. they sound decent enough though.

I'll have to experiment a bit more and see what I can come up with, you've gotten great results..

Charlie

CJWall said:
thanks man! Guitars were ENGL Fireball > 1960a > 57 > m-audio pre > Cubase..

haha, that's the one thing I dislike about DFH1, the cymbals are a dead give away.. they sound decent enough though.

I'll have to experiment a bit more and see what I can come up with, you've gotten great results..

Charlie

Thanks for the info! Probably the best Engl tone I've ever heard actually!

Dude you know, that's my favorite China cymbal sound ever, I will never get sick of it! LOL. I use Battery myself, with a lot of different drum samples from different places. Most of my cymbals are DFH 1.

Kazrog said:
Thanks for the info! Probably the best Engl tone I've ever heard actually!

Dude you know, that's my favorite China cymbal sound ever, I will never get sick of it! LOL. I use Battery myself, with a lot of different drum samples from different places. Most of my cymbals are DFH 1.

That China is the highlight of the cymbals, probably why my first instinct when programming drums is to pencil in straight 8th notes on the china, lol.

I'm using Battery 2 as well but with just a hodge podge of the DFH1 sounds into a single kit, never thought much into replacing some of those cells with samples from other sources, hmmm.. that may save some un-needed Gog'ing.. haha.

Cheers

on my 5150 combo I have fx send and ext speaker....which should I use to send to my sound card? I am currently using the fx send into my preamp then into sound card, but I am not really happy with the results...

cameltoe said:
on my 5150 combo I have fx send and ext speaker....which should I use to send to my sound card? I am currently using the fx send into my preamp then into sound card, but I am not really happy with the results...

DO NOT USE THE EXT SPEAKER JACK!!!! YOU WILL BLOW UP YOUR AMP AND COMPUTER!!!:devil:

OK, now that that's out of the way... FX send should be alright but I haven't tried it. It doesn't have a preamp out? Problem could also be your sound card (if you literally mean sound card as in Creative, etc.), generally you're going to want to use an interface with good converters.

Wow! Nice guitar sound. Not just "nice", GREAT!!!

Overall mix is great too. My only complaint is the snare is not dynamic enough. Has the "Images and Words" feel to it.

Genius Gone Insane said:
+1 for the :worship: PX100 headphones

Still planning to get those since James recommended them to me a few months back. The headphones I listen with while I'm at the office are embarassingly bad consumer Philips crap that's falling apart.

Kazrog said:
DO NOT USE THE EXT SPEAKER JACK!!!! YOU WILL BLOW UP YOUR AMP AND COMPUTER!!!:devil:

OK, now that that's out of the way... FX send should be alright but I haven't tried it. It doesn't have a preamp out? Problem could also be your sound card (if you literally mean sound card as in Creative, etc.), generally you're going to want to use an interface with good converters.

OKAY.....I am running into a m-audio audiophille....there is no preamp out on the back of the amp...

cameltoe said:
OKAY.....I am running into a m-audio audiophille....there is no preamp out on the back of the amp...

Chances are then, that you're getting about the best/only sound you can out of the Combo direct. Remember that a lot of difference can be made with EQ plugins and multiband compression. Also, at least in my experience, you may have to use more pre-gain than normal when going direct. Experimentation is key.

Kazrog said:
I've posted the final mix (with vocals.) Get it here:

http://www.backmask.com/ (streaming)
or
http://www.backmask.com/mp3stream/ZeroPoint.mp3 (mp3 download)
or
http://www.myspace.com/backmask (MySpace - ugh)

Enjoy!

Great vocals. Your screaming voice sounds similar to Dan from Zao, but with a bit more of a mid-voicing. Dig it alot. I especially like the part from 3:27 - 3:51. :headbang:

edit: listened to some other songs from your myspace; damn, Transmission is great! How'd you record the guitars?

Charlie

CJWall said:
Great vocals. Your screaming voice sounds similar to Dan from Zao, but with a bit more of a mid-voicing. Dig it alot. I especially like the part from 3:27 - 3:51. :headbang:

edit: listened to some other songs from your myspace; damn, Transmission is great! How'd you record the guitars?

Charlie

Thanks! Guitars on Transmission are my 6505+ --> Mesa Standard 4x12 rig miked up with an Audix i5, guitars on "Zero Point" are the 6505+ preamp going direct through a THD HotPlate, then AltiVerb impulse responses generated from the 6505+'s power amp into the cab into the mic.