ENGL e530 + Impulses

Kazrog

Kazrog, Inc.
Mar 6, 2002
California
kazrog.com
My ENGL e530
image-2793954-10381297
preamp arrived today, and I've hooked it up through my Mesa 4x12 impulses and went for some quad tracking:

http://backmask.com/sneapforum/Kazrog_ENGL_with_Impulses.wav

UPDATE: here's a clip I like better using GuitarHack's SneapEdge impulses:

http://www.backmask.com/sneapforum/Kazrog_ENGL_with_GuitarHack_SneapEdge.wav

UPDATE (April 20) - here's the best clip of all IMO, tighter playing, no Maxon, and GuitarHack Inch off Edge-1, and GuitarHack JJ FRED45 (2 tracks of each), no post processing at all (previous clips had URS API EQ):

http://backmask.com/sneapforum/Kazrog%20ENGL%20No%20Maxon.wav

Please forgive the sloppy playing and lack of edits during the fast stops, this is impromptu and to show the raw capability of this thing!

Signal chain is:

Schecter Jeff Loomis C-7 --> Maxon OD 820 --> Boss NS-2 --> ENGL e530 --> Impulses

Feedback welcome. I'm sure I can get better tone out of it even than this once I spend more time with it. PS - the riffs are from one of the songs on the upcoming 2nd Backmask album.

:kickass:

i like it, although it might be a hair overgained for my taste. it's got some fizz going on.

Yeah I agree 100%, it's very fatiguing to listen to this tone, I may opt to skip the Maxon in front and lower the highs a bit actually, the Engl sounds a lot smoother and more organic without the overdrive pedal!

More clips to follow soon...

Nice clips! :headbang:

You should try the impulse called: GuitarHack Inch off Edge-1 for less fizz, and GuitarHack JJ FRED45 0 for nice mids. Those are my favourites ;)

damn I really like those clips. Thanks for posting. I'll certainly try them as curve eq files.

Sounds great man!!

Yeah, I do think it could do without the pedal. Engls are some of the only amps I wouldn't use a tubescreamer with. I used to have a 530, I shouldn't have sold it. It's a great solution w/ impulses for someone who wants Engl tone. Their amps are just a bit too much $$ for me when I only want a gain channel.

-Joe

I'll be adding some more clips later this week. I've been doing some tests without the Maxon in front and it definitely sounds better, especially with the Countour switch on the Lead channel of the ENGL engaged.

I'll be in the process of getting set up in Cubase this week and porting my Pro Tools sessions over. Hoping to get better performance out of my rig with Cubase - Pro Tools is kind of a pig. By the weekend I should be able to post something with guitar/bass/drums in a rough mix for you guys to check out!

My settings on the ENGL for the clips in this thread are (believe it or not) all EQ knobs turned up one notch away from cranked, lead gain at about 2 o'clock. Almost Spinal Tap settings! It's such an amazing sounding unit, I'm sure a lot more is possible, perhaps with some lower EQ settings, etc. I'm going to be taking photos as I go along, but I haven't found a bad sound yet, tons of great tonal possibilities with this unit, very versatile!

PS - I tried out Poidaobi's impulses and found them to be very quiet - I had to boost them with the Trim plugin in Pro Tools by about +8db. Once I got them up to a reasonable level, I don't think they interacted as well with my existing recording of the ENGL preamp as the GuitarHack impulses. I'd have to do some tweaking to my EQ settings on the ENGL I'm sure. More experimentation to follow.