BLACK METAL ARHHHHGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

wayne the goblin/robot said:
I would rather listen to standard metal riffage than repetitive droning from a idiot Pagan/neo-nazi who gets praise for expressing his anger.
Climb up the ladder do you?
And what is the basic for your ignorant opinion?
Prog's heavy riffing isn't technical at all.
If you think(for in example) Inferno is technical, it's not that hard compared to other stuff.
The key thing that seperates extreme metal from standard metal and prog is the rhythm.
I'd like to see michael romeo play some meshuggah, assuming the 8 string(starting on nothing, which btw is a slower record, so easier, if you want hard, try their stuff before it, and I) wasn't too intimidating for him.
Meshuggah is some what monotonous, but they're insane, and their drummer is easily the number 1 metal drummer today.

Moloch said:
Climb up the ladder do you?
And what is the basic for your ignorant opinion?
Prog's heavy riffing isn't technical at all.
If you think(for in example) Inferno is technical, it's not that hard compared to other stuff.
The key thing that seperates extreme metal from standard metal and prog is the rhythm.
I'd like to see michael romeo play some meshuggah, assuming the 8 string(starting on nothing, which btw is a slower record, so easier, if you want hard, try their stuff before it, and I) wasn't too intimidating for him.
Meshuggah is some what monotonous, but they're insane, and their drummer is easily the number 1 metal drummer today.

Nah man Mike Terrana all the way as far as metal drummers goes...

And whats intimidating about an 8 string? I think a bass player would be more intimidated by an 8 string guitar than a guitarist...it puts them out of a job :D

Yngvai X said:
Nah man Mike Terrana all the way as far as metal drummers goes...

And whats intimidating about an 8 string? I think a bass player would be more intimidated by an 8 string guitar than a guitarist...it puts them out of a job :D
And from what band is he, and does he have a deep undestanding of polyrhythms?
Danny Carry is quoted saying "Tomas is, in my opinion, one of the best drummers going now. He has a really intense grasp (of) polyrhythms, more so than any drummer I've ever heard play ... he's right up there with the best."
Looking at his drummerworld page, I see he has not played with any bands I like, and I have never heard his name come up when talking about about the best drummers.
As for 8 strings, given S-X doesn't do any any real low tunigs, I don't think M-R knows how to utilize the lower strings.
Also on nothing they do an awsome solo usin just about all the strings.
The guitarist(Fredrik Thordendal ) is famous for his dissonant tapping “game boy” solos.
I seriously doubt there is a metal band out there with as much skill as meshuggah, while some may be able to play their songs, how many can write a song like they can?

Moloch said:
Danny Carry is quoted saying "Tomas is, in my opinion, one of the best drummers going now. He has a really intense grasp (of) polyrhythms, more so than any drummer I've ever heard play ... he's right up there with the best."
Looking at his drummerworld page, I see he has not played with any bands I like, and I have never heard his name come up when talking about about the best drummers.
As for 8 strings, given S-X doesn't do any any real low tunigs, I don't think M-R knows how to utilize the lower strings.
The guitarist(Fredrik Thordendal ) is famous for his dissonant tapping “game boy” solos.
I seriously doubt there is a metal band out there with as much skill as meshuggah, while some may be able to play their songs, how many can write a song like they can?

Just because you have never heard the bands he is in and heard his name come up doesn't mean he isn't better than the guy from Meshuggah. But then again, I have only heard one song from Rage and Meshuggah

Silent Song said:
i have. extreme it was not.
Which album or song?
They're some what progression.
For their extreme stuff, pre nothing albums are extreme, and considering this is a S-X board, almost anything is extreme vs S-X, since they have avg riffs and then do some wanky solo.

thats a very closed minded view you have. at the moment i'm listening to Björk, and she is more extreme than Meshuggah. you assume i only listen to SX since this is their board. :lol:

Moloch said:
Which album or song?
For their extreme stuff, pre nothing albums are extreme, and considering this is a S-X board, almost anything is extreme vs S-X, since they have avg riffs and then do some wanky solo.

do you even like SX, you seem to have a pretty crap view of their music? :err:

Moloch said:
Which album or song?

I would agree with you on that they have average guitar riffs, but umm..... Almost anything is extreme vs. SX Ehh??? Do you even listen to Prog??? SX is perhaps one of the heavier Progressive Metal Bands.

Moloch said:

Mike Terrana is the drummer for Rage as well as also appearing as a session drummer for a ton of other bands/musicians. He's also the drummer for a fusion band with Cyril Achard called Taboo Voodoo (but I don't expect you to know or care about that). About his understanding of polyrhythms, heres a lesson he wrote for Stick It:

http://www.terrana.com/pictures/press-Stick-It-1.jpg
http://www.terrana.com/pictures/press-Stick-It-2.jpg
http://www.terrana.com/pictures/press-Stick-It-3.jpg
http://www.terrana.com/pictures/press-Stick-It-4.jpg

Since you're obviously a drummer, and know much about polyrhythms yourself, I trust you'll understand that article.

I'm gonna ignore the comment about Romeo not knowing how to write riffs because he doesn't tune so low that Elephants get horny from mistaking his guitar for a mating call. Any moron can write a heavy riff if you tune your guitar low enough. The tuning does the work for you. Go check out the new Kreator album if you want a study on how to write a good heavy riff. They don't tune any lower than D (which is what Romeo tunes to as well). As a matter of fact, go listen to Destruction, they don't tune lower than Eb and they're heavy as fuck.

Finally, as a guitarist who has transcribed many of Romeo's solos and learned to play them, I can assure you, he does use every string on his guitar ;)

Moloch said:
Which album or song?

heh, you tr00 black metal fans are all the same.... speaking of which I was at the metal archives and I was reading one of the reviews for blackwater park by opeth. Anyway it seems that opeth was not kvlt enough for this one reviewers taste. He said (your gonna laugh at this) that "if you listen to blakwater park than you must worship christ!!!!!!" I myself can honestly say that I do both of those so :headbang: .

LOL, same here...Christian metalhead who likes Opeth. In fact, they were my first metal band!

Unfortunate that you get flamed in some places for admitting to your faith. I mean, just saying what you are isn't pushing it on anybody. :(

Another thing I don't like about some metalheads. The whole "OMG RELIGION IS TEH SUXXORZZZZ" attitude. It might seem "cool" to hate religion, but it's pointless. Bashing people for their religous beliefs is stupid.

Yeah, all that kind of stuff does is further encourage the bad rap metal and metalheads already have.

As for the Opeth forum, it wasn't TOO bad...but I really think this place seems a lot more welcoming than any metal board I've been to thus far.

(Cue vicious flaming? ;) )