BLACK METAL ARHHHHGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Rose Immortal said:
LOL, same here...Christian metalhead who likes Opeth. In fact, they were my first metal band!

Unfortunate that you get flamed in some places for admitting to your faith. I mean, just saying what you are isn't pushing it on anybody. :(

You should see the Dream Theater forum, man they're such arseholes. If you even mention Jesus you get shot down. (mostly in thier political/religous discusion forum, which is why it's good we dont have one here).

as for the flaming here, well lets see

<cricket sounds>

there ya go.

Well I think part of the anti religious overtones of much of metal stems from the idea that one of the foundations of metal is to encourage free thinking and not to just be one of the flock (although that seems to have gotten lost with a large portion of the metal audience). Religion is a very easy thing to just sort of "fall in line" with...its not a very scientific or exacting thing...it relies on faith...you have to believe in something just because you want to believe its there, not because theres any actual proof of it existing. So in that respect its on the same level as me believing the tooth fairy is real (thats not meant to be offensive, Im merely making an example). Of course I have no problem with people who are religious as long as they're not preachy to me. As for my own beliefs, Im an agnostic when I'm in a good mood and Im an athiest when Im in a bad mood :).

one thing i alway try to make clear:

i'm christian, i have faith, but i am not a religious person. i think religion as a lot of people see it is messed up. they aren't the same thing--- i think faith is very real, but of course, everyone is free to believe whatever they want to :)

and you're right, its not scientific or exact. there's no proof. but there is evidence. its upon evidence that i build faith, to believe blindly is just as useless as if it weren't even true. its up to each person to decide whether that evidence is enough for them, or if they need to seek more (or just lose interest). and i respect that.

Yngvai X said:
Well I think part of the anti religious overtones of much of metal stems from the idea that one of the foundations of metal is to encourage free thinking and not to just be one of the flock (although that seems to have gotten lost with a large portion of the metal audience). Religion is a very easy thing to just sort of "fall in line" with...its not a very scientific or exacting thing...it relies on faith...you have to believe in something just because you want to believe its there, not because theres any actual proof of it existing. So in that respect its on the same level as me believing the tooth fairy is real (thats not meant to be offensive, Im merely making an example). Of course I have no problem with people who are religious as long as they're not preachy to me. As for my own beliefs, Im an agnostic when I'm in a good mood and Im an athiest when Im in a bad mood :).

see, everyone gets along fine here.

GROUP HUG!!!!!!!!! :D

I think it's ultraconservative religion that gets the whole idea of religion a bad rap--just like most extreme examples of metal get the entire genre a bad rap. Not all Christians are Falwell, and not all metalheads are the "Lords of Chaos". ;) People seem really, really fond of broadbrushing because it's easier to put people into two easy categories: Those Like Me, and Those Not Like Me. I am not a conservative Christian (so I get flamed by both sides! ;) ), but I consider myself to be very passionate about my faith. To abandon it would be like cutting off a hand or a foot; I just could not do that to myself.

It's funny how the accusations fly from one side to the other of "following the crowd", because the extremists on both ends really are showing the very same sheeplike behavior. The only difference is in what leaders they follow. There's this idea that you give up all reason when you enter religious faith. That has never been my experience--I didn't stop thinking, I didn't stop wanting to know about how the universe works (and that definitely includes sciences and maths).

Some do stop using their heads, to very dangerous results, most certainly. I mean, look at the people who flew planes into buildings, or the people who blow up abortion clinics. But you could also point out the examples of the black-metal cultists like the ones in the book Lords of Chaos who went around burning churches, who threw out all reason for the sake of what they were into. It's my experience that human beings have an incredible propensity for abandoning reason--incredible because it seems that anything taken to a destructive extreme brings it out. The key to anything you're going to be passionate about is to make sure you keep using your head...because even things with the most potential for great good to a person can be warped and turned hateful if you stop doing them intelligently and with consideration.

Rose Immortal said:
I think it's ultraconservative religion that gets the whole idea of religion a bad rap--just like most extreme examples of metal get the entire genre a bad rap. Not all Christians are Falwell, and not all metalheads are the "Lords of Chaos". ;) People seem really, really fond of broadbrushing because it's easier to put people into two easy categories: Those Like Me, and Those Not Like Me. I am not a conservative Christian (so I get flamed by both sides! ;) ), but I consider myself to be very passionate about my faith. To abandon it would be like cutting off a hand or a foot; I just could not do that to myself.

It's funny how the accusations fly from one side to the other of "following the crowd", because the extremists on both ends really are showing the very same sheeplike behavior. The only difference is in what leaders they follow. There's this idea that you give up all reason when you enter religious faith. That has never been my experience--I didn't stop thinking, I didn't stop wanting to know about how the universe works (and that definitely includes sciences and maths).

Some do stop using their heads, to very dangerous results, most certainly. I mean, look at the people who flew planes into buildings, or the people who blow up abortion clinics. But you could also point out the examples of the black-metal cultists like the ones in the book Lords of Chaos who went around burning churches, who threw out all reason for the sake of what they were into. It's my experience that human beings have an incredible propensity for abandoning reason--incredible because it seems that anything taken to a destructive extreme brings it out. The key to anything you're going to be passionate about is to make sure you keep using your head...because even things with the most potential for great good to a person can be warped and turned hateful if you stop doing them intelligently and with consideration.

I agree with you

Rose Immortal said:

same here, I mean Im no saint but sin is expected as apart of life and I fully recognize what my sins are...............I dont like the fundementalist side of christianity either but I do at least understand them and that helps in dealing with them.

oh btw @metropolis NEAL MORSE IS TEH DEVILS MUSIK LISTEN TO MICHAEL W. SMITH BIATCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(just kidding also and no harm meant toward michael w. smith either he's a good muscian for what he does)

michael w smith, neal morse, and theocracy all rock :headbang:

i agree with you guys too.
in fact, today at church the main topic was "doubt is ok... because it shows you're thinking and want to have true faith and not just "ok you say you're God and you resurrected so.. ok" -- instead question and look for the evidence, and that leads to less doubt when you find it." i'm not good at explaining what i heard, but i understand it and i really agree.

we shouldn't stop thinking, faith and reason are not opposites, one needs the other. i also agree that a lot of people give us a bad rep: people from all sides.

Yeah, I heard it phrased this way once..."I believe--help me with my unbelief!" Seems like a contradiction at first...but once you look at it you realize it's very true to how we human beings are. Doubt seems to be a natural part of our thought processes.

Rose Immortal said:

plus you have to have a good clergy to steer ya the right way, like my preacher max lucado, hes not loud or pretentious or southern speaking and quite calm so it all works out good for me. :headbang:

I'm an atheist, my parents think I'm going to hell. I'm not one of those belligerent "you suck because you believe in God" atheists because they can be more annoying than the people who try to impose religion on people. I respect and admire people who believe in God, especially in a society like ours.

I now leave you with this one last thought:
STRYPER ROCKS THE HELL OUT OF YOU!!! \m/

stryper.png

Beelzebub said:
I'm an atheist, my parents think I'm going to hell. I'm not one of those belligerent "you suck because you believe in God" atheists because they can be more annoying than the people who try to impose religion on people. I respect and admire people who believe in God, especially in a society like ours.

I now leave you with this one last thought:
STRYPER ROCKS THE HELL OUT OF YOU!!! \m/

stryper.png

that was a truly excellent way to end this thread :cool:

Beelzebub said:
I can't believe we went from black metal to Stryper. This was also the second time someone thought I ended this thread. Oh, well. *bizzump*

JUST KIDDING, heh if you mortals thought you could end this thread just like that,YOU WERE WRONG!!! :devil:

I don't really care much for Neal Morse's lyrics, Testimony and One were AWESOME. Thats all, but I'd like to see him back with Spock's Beard, who knows how many "Snows" they could have made if Neal stayed with them.

Well honestly, I don't buy the whole "its ok to question your faith" line when its said by someone like a priest because you can almost finish the rest of that sentence in your head "...as long as you don't abandon it." I remember I was about 12 or so and I was in CCD class studying for my confirmation (I was catholic). This whole "its ok to question your faith" thing came up by the teacher...so I questioned it...and dropped out the following week. According to one of my classmates, the teacher's response to me leaving was "I will pray for his soul." If they genuinely wanted you to just follow your own heart it would be different...but its that kind of "don't forget to vote...as long as you vote for the candidate I'm voting for" mentality that I detest.