BLACK METAL ARHHHHGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Yngvai X said:
Well honestly, I don't buy the whole "its ok to question your faith" line when its said by someone like a priest because you can almost finish the rest of that sentence in your head "...as long as you don't abandon it." I remember I was about 12 or so and I was in CCD class studying for my confirmation (I was catholic). This whole "its ok to question your faith" thing came up by the teacher...so I questioned it...and dropped out the following week. According to one of my classmates, the teacher's response to me leaving was "I will pray for his soul." If they genuinely wanted you to just follow your own heart it would be different...but its that kind of "don't forget to vote...as long as you vote for the candidate I'm voting for" mentality that I detest.
i agree... when it has motives like that, whatever message is being said is gone.

i'm not the best at paraphrasing what was said today, but it made a lot of sense to me (and i am a naturally skeptical person). basically along the lines of "when people tell you this is truth, don't just accept it, but search for the truth yourself to find out it is or is not true". and that search for truth (using reasoning and evidence) comes up with something that can't be explained any other way-- thats faith.. when i can't deny what my search has found (because there is so much powerful evidence) yet can't explain why, i believe it is so. not because someone told it was, but because i find out that it appears to be true though beyond comprehensible explanation (outside of what, in this case, the bible says will happen anyway)

weenur said:
This has to be the *most* civil discussion on religion I've ever witnessed on a 'net forum. I knew you people were worthwhile! lol!

ok heres an impression of dreamtheater.net.....

bob:yes I am a christian
Joe: YO BIATCH JEZUS FAKED HIS DEATH, HE AINT NO SAVIOUR.
bob: UR GONNA GO TO HELL FOR SAYN THAT
joe: FUCK ME JESUS
bob: IM PRAYING FOR YA HOMMIE
moderator: BOB IS BANNED BUT JOE GETZ TO STAY HA HA IM SUCH AN AWESOME MOD I THINK ILL NAME MYSELF BANNY JUST TO PISS PEOPLE OFF!!!! SYMPHONY X SUX, SO DO ALL THOSE WHO HATE ON JLB'S TOTALY AWESOME VOICE!!!!!!!

wayne the goblin/robot said:
plus you have to have a good clergy to steer ya the right way, like my preacher max lucado, hes not loud or pretentious or southern speaking and quite calm so it all works out good for me. :headbang:

Heh, Southern by itself doesn't bother me...it's Southern + freakishly conservative. Being from the South, almost everybody, regardless of what they believe, speaks with this accent. I know that may scare some of you, but it's true. ;)

Yngvai X said:
Well honestly, I don't buy the whole "its ok to question your faith" line when its said by someone like a priest because you can almost finish the rest of that sentence in your head "...as long as you don't abandon it." I remember I was about 12 or so and I was in CCD class studying for my confirmation (I was catholic). This whole "its ok to question your faith" thing came up by the teacher...so I questioned it...and dropped out the following week. According to one of my classmates, the teacher's response to me leaving was "I will pray for his soul." If they genuinely wanted you to just follow your own heart it would be different...but its that kind of "don't forget to vote...as long as you vote for the candidate I'm voting for" mentality that I detest.

This priest may not have been trying to be mean. I had an interesting chat with my minister where he mentioned that sometimes the falling-away does make a person even stronger in their faith if they come back. That was my experience as well. I got very close to leaving Christianity, but came back with a much deeper understanding of what exactly it was I believed, and a much deeper certainty in it. (I returned without the prompting of clergy or anybody else, I might add, but solely based on my own thoughts and investigations.) As for this minister, I didn't get the impression that he would want to force a person back--because it is not genuine if it's forced, not to mention that it actually hurts that person. And it's my belief that to cause pain to someone and say it's in the name of God is the truest meaning of "taking the Lord's name in vain".

weenur said:
This has to be the *most* civil discussion on religion I've ever witnessed on a 'net forum. I knew you people were worthwhile! lol!

I was noticing this myself!!!

I think this would make an excellent thread to show someone with "bigoted" ideas against metalheads, that not all of us are complete jerks. ;)

But I've seen Pink Floyd boards, for instance, where discussions got a lot nastier. Maybe Symphony X fans are just more laid back or something. :headbang:

ok heres an impression of dreamtheater.net.....

bob:yes I am a christian
Joe: YO BIATCH JEZUS FAKED HIS DEATH, HE AINT NO SAVIOUR.
bob: UR GONNA GO TO HELL FOR SAYN THAT
joe: FUCK ME JESUS
bob: IM PRAYING FOR YA HOMMIE
moderator: BOB IS BANNED BUT JOE GETZ TO STAY HA HA IM SUCH AN AWESOME MOD I THINK ILL NAME MYSELF BANNY JUST TO PISS PEOPLE OFF!!!! SYMPHONY X SUX, SO DO ALL THOSE WHO HATE ON JLB'S TOTALY AWESOME VOICE!!!!!!!

lol. I still post at the DT forums and I find that quite amusing. There was this noob that somehow was able to start a flame war in his second thread.

edit...

YAY! page 10 (well under my settings anyways).

Here is a little recap of the many tangents of this thread..

Black Metal
The style is Opeth
Power metal and the testicle size of bands
Russ's voice
Dream Theater vs. Symphony X
Nu-Metal
back to Black Metal
Dream Theater
back to Black Metal
Christian Metal
Religion
Stryper
DT forum

:)

Rose Immortal said:
Heh, Southern by itself doesn't bother me...it's Southern + freakishly conservative. Being from the South, almost everybody, regardless of what they believe, speaks with this accent. I know that may scare some of you, but it's true. ;)

No offense but I've always thought the southern accent is one of the dumbest sounding accents I've ever heard. I've lived my entire life in the northeast so far (New Yawk, Lawn-guy Land, and Boston) and have to relocate to the south soon, so I'm hoping I don't lose my NY accent.

This priest may not have been trying to be mean. I had an interesting chat with my minister where he mentioned that sometimes the falling-away does make a person even stronger in their faith if they come back. That was my experience as well. I got very close to leaving Christianity, but came back with a much deeper understanding of what exactly it was I believed, and a much deeper certainty in it. (I returned without the prompting of clergy or anybody else, I might add, but solely based on my own thoughts and investigations.) As for this minister, I didn't get the impression that he would want to force a person back--because it is not genuine if it's forced, not to mention that it actually hurts that person. And it's my belief that to cause pain to someone and say it's in the name of God is the truest meaning of "taking the Lord's name in vain".

My point wasn't about priests forcing people back...but you know they really don't want people to leave the church...otherwise who's gonna drop money in the collection bin :p. My old CCD teacher's response to me leaving the church should have been "oh...ok" not "I will pray for his soul." That was my point. Its funny cause I was reading this Lovecraft story last night, "Through the Gates of the Silver Key" and I came across this quote that applies really well to what Im talking about: "Damnation, he reflected, is but a word bandied about by those whose blindness leads them to condemn all who can see, even with a single eye."

I was noticing this myself!!!

I think this would make an excellent thread to show someone with "bigoted" ideas against metalheads, that not all of us are complete jerks. ;)

But I've seen Pink Floyd boards, for instance, where discussions got a lot nastier. Maybe Symphony X fans are just more laid back or something. :headbang:

hehehehe don't get me wrong, when I was younger (like 16-18 years old) I'd get into huge sprawling ravenous online debates about this, until I realized I'd be more productive if I slammed my dick in a window. Theres no point trying to dissuede someone who's opinions are set especially with something like religion.

Yngvai X said:
No offense but I've always thought the southern accent is one of the dumbest sounding accents I've ever heard. I've lived my entire life in the northeast so far (New Yawk, Lawn-guy Land, and Boston) and have to relocate to the south soon, so I'm hoping I don't lose my NY accent.

Unfortunately, this is a very real prejudice that a lot of people have about the South. The assumption follows that Southerners are more poorly educated and unable to think for themselves. Having lived all over the country, I can say with confidence that there are people that embarrass every region of the country, including the Northeast, the Southeast, and every other.

My point wasn't about priests forcing people back...but you know they really don't want people to leave the church...otherwise who's gonna drop money in the collection bin :p.

That should not be a church's main concern, and when it becomes one, something's gone wrong. I got very disgruntled with a church my parents were going to when I was young, because all the guy did was preach about money. Thankfully there are better places to go. Although I do understand the need to pay the power bills. ;)

Rose Immortal said:
Unfortunately, this is a very real prejudice that a lot of people have about the South. The assumption follows that Southerners are more poorly educated and unable to think for themselves. Having lived all over the country, I can say with confidence that there are people that embarrass every region of the country, including the Northeast, the Southeast, and every other.

Well theres a difference between dumb sounding and actual intelligence. Even Jeff Foxworthy pokes fun at the southern accent. The Bostonian accent, in its extreme forms, is REALLY bad too. My accent isn't very thick because I grew up a good distance from the city, but believe me, I have met people who are the stereotypical NY guido Italian. Some of em are in my extended family :).

Rose is right though, just about every region has some sort of accent/stereotype that's embarassing to the people there who don't have it.

personally, i've lived in Chicago (and didn't pick up the chicAHgo accent), NH (boston accent i didn't inherit), NY (yah, new yawk didn't catch onto me either.) and parts of california, where there might be somethin in the way i talk. one thing i detest though is the stereotype/accents of people who've never even been there and talk about how cool "cali" is. i hate that abbreviation too. :lol:

so yeah, regional misunderstandings and stereotypes are lame :D

dargormudshark said:
do you even like SX, you seem to have a pretty crap view of their music? :err:
Their solos are what makes the music.
heh, you tr00 black metal fans are all the same.... speaking of which I was at the metal archives and I was reading one of the reviews for blackwater park by opeth. Anyway it seems that opeth was not kvlt enough for this one reviewers taste. He said (your gonna laugh at this) that "if you listen to blakwater park than you must worship christ!!!!!!" I myself can honestly say that I do both of those so :headbang: .
Um I don't consider my self a tr00 kvlt black metal fan.
I have a diverse taste in metal, and even like some (good) rock bands, I dont have alot of any one genre.
Here's a screen shot of my mp3 collection
http://members.cox.net/molochspam/mp3328.png

soundgarden said:
edit...

YAY! page 10 (well under my settings anyways).

Here is a little recap of the many tangents of this thread..

Black Metal
The style is Opeth
Power metal and the testicle size of bands
Russ's voice
Dream Theater vs. Symphony X
Nu-Metal
back to Black Metal
Dream Theater
back to Black Metal
Christian Metal
Religion
Stryper
DT forum

:)

ok, lets talk about another type of tangent. THE ONES IN GEOMETRY!!!!!!!! MWA HA HAH HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH, AND LETS NOT FORGET ABOUT THE SIN AND COSIN FUNCTIONS!!!!!!!!!!! :devil:

edit: HEY WHY DONT WE DO SOME PROBLEMS FOR FUN HA HA HA HAHAH :devil:

dargormudshark said:
Moloch said:
Their solos are what makes the music.

You said the solos were just wanking??? If you think that then why do u like them just for their solos?
I like technical players and solos, just I don't think being able to play 40 notes in a second makes you a god, I'm more impressed with the feelings and emotions guitar players are able to give off.

My point wasn't about priests forcing people back...but you know they really don't want people to leave the church...otherwise who's gonna drop money in the collection bin.
I'm not going to talk about this one, I hope it's a joke
My old CCD teacher's response to me leaving the church should have been "oh...ok" not "I will pray for his soul." That was my point.
I think you are missing the whole point about religion there. Imagine you are a the top of a building, and some friend says to you "I'm going to walk just in the edge". What would you say? "oh...ok"?? I bet you wouldn't. I know the example is a bit ridiculous, but this way is easier to set my point. That teacher actually believes in Jesus, Church and everything else, so to him the analogy isn't at all ridicule.
Its funny cause I was reading this Lovecraft story last night, "Through the Gates of the Silver Key" and I came across this quote that applies really well to what Im talking about: "Damnation, he reflected, is but a word bandied about by those whose blindness leads them to condemn all who can see, even with a single eye."
And who tells you who is the blind one?

More often than not I find that people who ask their point of view to be taken into account, don't take into account other people's point of view. As I read somewhere, we are living the dictatorship of tolerance: why can't the so called tolerant people tolerate my intolerant point of view?

ElPredicador said:
. That teacher actually believes in Jesus, Church and everything else, so to him the analogy isn't at all ridicule

you don't know the teacher, nor their beliefs, so no, you do not know that. even if you knew them, you couldn't know that.

and Jesus =/= Church. they are seperate related entities.

Silent Song said:
you don't know the teacher, nor their beliefs, so no, you do not know that. even if you knew them, you couldn't know that.

and Jesus =/= Church. they are seperate related entities.
You are right, I don't know the teacher, nor his beliefs, but I think I know that.
I can say that because of several reasons:
  1. My family is christian. Some of its members are quite extremistic.
  2. I grew up in a catholic school, with monks and priests included.
  3. I myself was catholic for a long time, and have a community of ~10 people who gather to pray and read the bible.
So, I think I have gotten to know religious people. You know, to get it it's not that complicated: imagine you really, really believe that when you die you have a personal judgement, and after that you go to either heaven or hell. Tell me one reason why you shouldn't say "I'll pray for his soul".

PS: Sorry if I'm being a bit rude, it's not on purpose.