BLACK METAL ARHHHHGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Metropolis Part 2 said:
True, I know. But however, the keyboardist might be good for Finntroll's style of music ( a weird mixture of Polka, Folk Metal and Black Metal), can not be considered great to any point of time.

but its fun right?

in fact thats the whole point of Finntrolls music

to have fun

I'd rather listen to the worst black metal than the best Dream Theater, because at least you could have a good laugh. :cool:

Mormagil said:
I'd rather listen to the worst black metal than the best Dream Theater, because at least you could have a good laugh. :cool:

you do know that DT fans populate this forum dont you?

this boards really getting a bad reputation becuase of the mindless dt bashing on here.

No genre is immune to problems...all of them will have their bad examples.

BTW...at risk of sounding stupid, what DO black metal bands sing about when it's not the stereotypical Satanic stuff?

Rose Immortal said:
No genre is immune to problems...all of them will have their bad examples.

BTW...at risk of sounding stupid, what DO black metal bands sing about when it's not the stereotypical Satanic stuff?

Odinism is a big subject. Pagan/Norse gods. The idea being that satan is a creation of Christianity, so the argument is that its stupid to use a Christian symbol to oppose Christianity, so they use Odinism a lot. Varg from Burzum was one of the first to do this amungst the "newer" BM bands, but Bathory did this as well. Sometimes it stems into a completely different genre called Viking Metal, thats kinda linked to folk metal.

Just so you know, a big reason for the strong anti-christian sentiments in Black metal is that these people making this music felt like their proud Viking heratige had been destroyed by the spread of Christianity, hence the need for returning to worshiping Norse gods as well.

or if its not about odinism its about science and nature which goes into the arena of progressive black metal which is kinda where arcturus and vintersorg are. Opeth in fact almost falls into this catagory on their first album (Orchid), but eventually as they progress they start doing thier own special brand of progressive music which we all enjoy today.

wayne the goblin/robot said:
or if its not about odinism its about science and nature which goes into the arena of progressive black metal which is kinda where arcturus and vintersorg are. Opeth in fact almost falls into this catagory on their first album (Orchid), but eventually as they progress they start doing thier own special brand of progressive music which we all enjoy today.

And stuff like Borknagar and Vintersorg has nothing to do with black metal. black metal is about ideology. Once you lose that, its no longer black metal. Hence why Dimmu Borgir isn't really black metal and why Cradle of Filth are gay.

does this look gay or *evil*?

bm4.jpg

wickedly gay?

so what are some good black metal bands that don't have anti-christian messages? I've listened to some black metal before and I like their chords and melodies, but some of those bands' lyrics turned me off completely.

bball_1523 said:
so what are some good black metal bands that don't have anti-christian messages? I've listened to some black metal before and I like their chords and melodies, but some of those bands' lyrics turned me off completely.

There is no such thing as a non anti-christian black metal band. Thats part of the ideology. There are however some bands that borrow some of the musical aspects of black metal. I mentioned one of them: Borknagar.

i don't know if i would go that far. some bands within the realm of black metal aren't anti-christian, and there are even pro-christian BM bands. though, i guess you would argue they are therefore not "BM" even though they sound more or less the same in every respect except lyrically.