BLACK METAL ARHHHHGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

speaking of BM, found a great pic to represent it...:

95_the_dawn_of_the_blackhearts.jpg

Mods...please don't take this off

I dig S-X and black metal, real black metal like emperor, immortal, (old) satyiricon burzum etc.
Black metal is by far not the worst genre of metal muscially, the riffs are better than your typlical standard metallica like riff.
As with death metal, they do alot of tremelo picking, and that's harder then just your standard palm muted power chord, and heavier.
I also listen to dream theater and S-X, so it's not like I don't like bands who have (generally) lame riffs but awesome solos, I like them for different reasons.
One for muscianship, the other for the heaviesness, and dark atmosphere.
I'm not by any means a one genre man, speaking of which, I don't put cradle of filth any where near korn.
They may be commercial, but the muscianship is there, and dani, although not pleasing to the ears, has amazing lyrics, read some, www.darklyrics.com for all kinds of metal lyrics.
Check out the lyrics to dusk and her embrace- the story of elizabeth bathory.

I loathe black metal. Melodic "black metal" I can tolerate, even enjoy (Catamenia), but I can't stand those norwegian bands.

Moloch said:
I dig S-X and black metal, real black metal like emperor, immortal, (old) satyiricon burzum etc.
Black metal is by far not the worst genre of metal muscially, the riffs are better than your typlical standard metallica like riff.
As with death metal, they do alot of tremelo picking, and that's harder then just your standard palm muted power chord, and heavier.
I also listen to dream theater and S-X, so it's not like I don't like bands who have (generally) lame riffs but awesome solos, I like them for different reasons.
I'm not by any means a one genre man, speaking of which, I don't put cradle of filth any where near korn.
They may be commercial, but the muscianship is there, and dani, although not pleasing to the ears, has amazing lyrics, read some, www.darklyrics.com for all kinds of metal lyrics.

interesting opinions. can't say i agree with any of them :tickled:

Silent Song said:
interesting opinions. can't say i agree with any of them :tickled:
Do you some what agree that most standard metal riffage is easy?
Mostly power chords with out much rhythm to them.

Moloch said:

I would rather listen to standard metal riffage than repetitive droning from a idiot Pagan/neo-nazi who gets praise for expressing his anger.

Moloch said:

you need to hear Zero Hour, Pain of Salvation, Opeth... and a lot more. mostly powerchords? there's alot of "complex" bands out there dude.

as for BM, what i've heard of it is either ambient (and thus minimalistic) or incredibly fastpaced, and being so fastpaced, it didn't have the luxury to incorporate complex chord shapes or it would be slowed down in playability. thats just what i've heard.

Moloch said:

Cruelty and the Beast is the Bathory concept album not DAHE. I like Dani's old english lyrics :D

Silent Song said:
you need to hear Zero Hour, Pain of Salvation, Opeth... and a lot more. mostly powerchords? there's alot of "complex" bands out there dude.

as for BM, what i've heard of it is either ambient (and thus minimalistic) or incredibly fastpaced, and being so fastpaced, it didn't have the luxury to incorporate complex chord shapes or it would be slowed down in playability. thats just what i've heard.

He said Standard Metal, I don't think that includes progressive and technical stuff

OfSinsAndShred said:
Not a big fan. The only bands that are even close to that genre that I like are Bodom and Dimmu.
wow, you know, I'm not a big fan of black metal myself, but those bands you mentionned are far from being black metal.

You guys should listen to Naglfar, Summoning, and Blut aus Nord, these are the only bm bands I like (occasionnally)

dargormudshark said:
He said Standard Metal, I don't think that includes progressive and technical stuff
true but i interpreted it as metal in general, and with a huge base of bands that don't fit that stereotype, i thought i should say something.

Katalepsy said:
Someone fill me in, what is "melodic" metal? Correct me if I'm wrong, but music (in general) is any sound that has rhythm and melody. That being said, all forms of metal, and even all forms of music, are melodic...Yes, even screamo and hardcore.

As far as I know, melodic metal is a more paced, relaxed form of power metal. Melodic metal puts more emphasis on melody, making it sometimes slower than the power metal.
A good example for a melodic metal band is the later Sonata Arctica (the 2 last albums). They still have speed-power influences, but all in all, they are melodic metal.

Topic: Personally, I don't like BM. It's just not my cup of tea.

Am I the only other immature person who keeps seeing the initials "BM" and thinking of bodily functions? Maybe that's just my poor opinion of black metal, coloring the idea rather...brown.

Rose Immortal said:
Am I the only other immature person who keeps seeing the initials "BM" and thinking of bodily functions? Maybe that's just my poor opinion of black metal, coloring the idea rather...brown.

Yes, yes you are. :zombie: