Black Metal for someone fairly new to the genre

Chimaera

Oct 28, 2009
Scotland
I've been aware of Black Metal for about one or two years now but I've never properly got into it. Recently, I've started to become much more interested in the genre. I'm really getting into the band Altar of Plagues and I'll probably buy their debut album, White Tomb, soon. I like the bleak, epic sound they have to their songs and I realise that Black Metal is pretty renowned for that. I'll probably pick up the first four Darkthrone albums eventually as I hear that they are pretty much essential for any Black Metal fan. While not strictly Black Metal, I'm also getting really digging the bands Gallhammer and Dark Castle at the moment, especially the latter. So based on the bands I just listed, what Black Metal bands do you think I'd like?

Based on your interest in AoP you should check out -
Blut Aus Nord - The Work Which Transforms God

And of course you can't start listening to black metal without having heard the ultra-essential albums:

Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas

and Burzum - Filosofem (general consensus on UM is that this is the easiest of Burzum's album to get into, but some will recommend Hvis Lyset Tar Oss instead)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help CC. Those bands all sound great and I'll be sure to pick up those albums. I've heard all of the praise for Burzum but just never had the time to check out Varg's work.

EDIT: I just have to say that Procession of the Dead Clowns is fucking sick!

Make sure you check out Black Metal, Welcome To Hell, Bathory, and Under The Sign Of The Black Mark.

Thanks WAIF. I was looking more for second wave stuff but, since Venom and Bathory are some of the originators of the genre, I guess they're pretty essential.

Totally second the De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas and Filosofem suggestions. They're what first got me into black metal. It's also good that you're getting Darkthrone's first four albums. Soulside Journey isn't really black, but it's a kickass tech death album nonetheless.

If you like Mayhem's De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas then you should totally check out Deathcrush by them as well. Other classic, straight up good sounding black metal bands include Immortal, Emperor, and Satyricon. From there you'll undoubtedly find incredibly obscure black metal bands that you like that no one else has ever heard of. Good luck.

Check out Windir, Cor Scorpii, Watain, Lord Belial, Nachtmystium, Deathspell Omega, Drudkh, Wolves In The Throne Room, Blood of Kingu, Pensees Nocturnes

Those are some of my favorites, I didn't realize but the list starts out from like classical BM and goes into more experimental/avant-garde stuff...check it out see what you like. i have a nice BM collection but i'm traveling and have none of my music and it's so easy to forget great bands :/