Depressing Music

Chimaera

Oct 28, 2009
Scotland
I'm looking for some music that is epic yet almost suicide-inducingly depressing. I realise most of you will probably post doom and black metal but I don't really mind the genre. It can be beautiful and gothic like Draconian, cold and eerie like Thergothon or Altar of Plagues or anything in between. I wouldn't mind some classical stuff like Adagio For Strings either.

Lyrinx
Gris
Sombres Forets
I Shalt Become
Heretoir
Austere
Sun Of The Sleepless
When Mine Eyes Blacken
Tenhi
Fornost
Fen
ColdWorld
Mirror Of Deception
Xasthur
Nest
Anti
Nocte Obducta
Leviathan
Drudkh
Faulnis
Elysian Blaze
Silencer
Exiled From Light
Aaskereia
Abyssic Hate
Brocken Moon
All The Cold
Depressive Years
Forest Silence
Forgotten Tomb
Lugburz Sleed
Forgotten Woods
Forteresse
I'm in a Coffin
Imperium Dekadenz
Sad
Isolation
Kargvint
Kyla
Kilte
Klage
Be Persecuted
Blood Red Fog
Exitus Letalis
Fornicatus
Life Neglected
Total Negation
Wehmut
Wolfshade
Wigrid
Aeons of Sorrow
Mutiilation
Moevot
Wedard
Wald Geist Winter
Trist
Trauer
Warning
Todeskult
Totalselfhatred
Lantlos (Similar to Altar of Plagues)
Thy Light
Through The Pain
Sterbend
Shining
Nyktalgia
Nocturnal Depression
Nazhand
Life is Pain
Lifeless Sorrow
Daylight Dies
Isole

If there's too much black metal sorry.

Lyrinx
Gris
Sombres Forets
I Shalt Become
Heretoir
Austere
Sun Of The Sleepless
When Mine Eyes Blacken
Tenhi
Fornost
Fen
ColdWorld
Mirror Of Deception
Xasthur
Nest
Anti
Nocte Obducta
Leviathan
Drudkh
Faulnis
Elysian Blaze
Silencer
Exiled From Light
Aaskereia
Abyssic Hate
Brocken Moon
All The Cold
Depressive Years
Forest Silence
Forgotten Tomb
Lugburz Sleed
Forgotten Woods
Forteresse
I'm in a Coffin
Imperium Dekadenz
Sad
Isolation
Kargvint
Kyla
Kilte
Klage
Be Persecuted
Blood Red Fog
Exitus Letalis
Fornicatus
Life Neglected
Total Negation
Wehmut
Wolfshade
Wigrid
Aeons of Sorrow
Mutiilation
Moevot
Wedard
Wald Geist Winter
Trist
Trauer
Warning
Todeskult
Totalselfhatred
Lantlos (Similar to Altar of Plagues)
Thy Light
Through The Pain
Sterbend
Shining
Nyktalgia
Nocturnal Depression
Nazhand
Life is Pain
Lifeless Sorrow
Daylight Dies
Isole

If there's too much black metal sorry.

Wow! Thanks, I'll give them a listen.

Old Anathema. Daylight Dies -lost to the living is a great album. Katatonia,Novembers Doom,Lacuna Coil,Paradise Lost,Evoken,Sentenced.

Rapture

Last edited by a moderator:
On another note, I've really never found "depressive" black metal actually depressing. At least no where near as saddening as Stormcrowfleet and The Monad of Creation or Watching From a Distance

So you want "beautiful" depressing and not "stone cold steel" depressing...hmmm.

How about Slowdive? They're shoegaze and not "epic" but they always make me want to cry/kill myself.

Really depends, and the choice is way too hard. Watching From a Distance is the most beautiful metal album I've ever heard but Stormcrowfleet's highlights express a different kind of despair, and very fucking well.

Since I find massive lists rather annoying, I'll just rec...
Skepticism - Stormcrowfleet

:headbang:

Old Anathema. Daylight Dies -lost to the living is a great album. Katatonia,Novembers Doom,Lacuna Coil,Paradise Lost,Evoken,Sentenced.
Rapture
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDNY9F1lrbo

Are you sure about Lacuna Coil because what from what I've heard, about four songs, they don't sound that depressing. Still a great band though. On the other hand, Katatonia are awesome.

So you want "beautiful" depressing and not "stone cold steel" depressing...hmmm.

How about Slowdive? They're shoegaze and not "epic" but they always make me want to cry/kill myself.

"Stone cold steel" is fine with me. Slowdive sound exactly what I'm looking for. :)

Wow! Thanks, I'll give them a listen.

No you won't, you fucking moron. Not only are there way too many bands in that list for you to cover, but you don't know shit about what they sound like.

People who post gigantic dumbassed lists like that without giving ANY explanation about the music are fucking idiots who need to die.

No you won't, you fucking moron. Not only are there way too many bands in that list for you to cover, but you don't know shit about what they sound like.

People who post gigantic dumbassed lists like that without giving ANY explanation about the music are fucking idiots who need to die.

Fuck you. At least I made an effort. You're the one who needs to die.

Great, you pointed out that one band out of 100 that he has no clue about is similar to one other band he has no clue about. Yeah, great job there. You're practically a fucking Rolling Stone columnist.

Get a brain.