Black Metal Vocal and Guitar Questions

sevenways

New Metal Member
Jul 19, 2006
Hi,

I would like to know that which vocal-effects black metal vocalist use?
Most of their vocal sound like machine.

And what is "fast tremolo guitar picking" in black metal? Is it same with single-note riff?

sevenways

I dont get your guitar question,tremolo picking is just moderately fast alternate picking.

Thanks for ur reply.
yeh, ur answer make me clear now.

And how about vocal effects ???
some said they don't use efx, but I think they add some efx on their vocal.
especially in black metal.

Babykabob said:
nope...using effects and good production is totally UN-tr00 in bm...
AND TO SCORN THE SUN!!!
picutre212cu1.jpg

Babykabob said:
HAHA, another 'orb' pic for the books...thats a nice one too...
haha,though I was bumed because my firnd couldnt get over and he had all the accesories

Mr Genvin said:
I heard Dimmu Borgir use Fx, would you say they're true black metal? Something makes me think not.
yea they arent very true

and another question is....
what technique should i practice for black/death metal (behemoth, bephegor, dimmu borgir...and some melodic like dark-tranquillity...etc ) ???
im totally beginner (just practicing eMedia beginner guitar method for 3 months) and now over 23 (i got depression...coz..i think..it's too old to take all the basic lesson as i know most of metal guitarists was play guitar in their very young age...right? ), so i want to take some short-cut lesson for black/death metal.
btw..i'm now decided to buy Troy's metal rhythm 1 and metal lead primer.

This whole "no effects in true black metal" sentiment is a bunch of shit. To name but one example, see Darkthrone - Under A Funeral Moon. Nocturno Culto clearly uses delay and reverb, and that album's about as true as they come.

I don't know about everyone else, but I don't really classify Reverb as an effect, same with Delay. Wait a sec, are you referring to vocals or guitar? If guitar, then yeah, almost every band uses delay and reverb.
AS for vocals, I don't even know, I'm no vocalist.

and now over 23 (i got depression...coz..i think..it's too old to take all the basic lesson as i know most of metal guitarists was play guitar in their very young age...right? )

Danny Elfman slow-started base of music at 18 in a theater group and really started composition when he was 27.

Yeah Danny Elfman is not Black Metal... but if you want my opinion, "music style categorisation" is for fag.