Black Metal

Spectre Within X

New Metal Member
Oct 27, 2002
Michigan, USA
Visit site
Hello!! :wave:

Does anyone here listen to black metal? Personally, I find it wonderful to listen to.

Dimmu Borgir, Emperor, Limbonic Art, Graveland, Burzum, Covenant/Kovenant, Mystic Circle, as well as many others...

So who likes? :p

I like some Dimmu, & Emperor is definitely some trippy stuff.
The genre as a whole is something I'm approaching like a cold swimming pool, one toe at a time, so be patient with me.. :lol:

Cob isn't black metal for sure!:lol: although I like it very much:)
Dimmu Borgir is IMO a bit overproduced and commercial, but HEY! finally good production on BM album.

Only "real" or "true:p " Black metal band I like is Satyricon

Overall I don't like BM, but sometimes there are exceptions.

Only real black metal band I like is Mercyful Fate, and don't say they are not BM because they originated the genre. It's not their fault everything else after them turned into crap.

Not any true BM, because true BM is ass. ASS.

Psuedo-Black Metal is cool though, Dimmu Borgir (puritanical euphoric misanthropia is brilliant!), Emperor (Prometheus is just as amazing), Cradle of Filth (yah), Dragonlord (not really BM at all, but that's what they call themselves, and they're cool... so... *shrug* )

Yuck. I don't like black/death metal because of the vocals. If you can sing why do you have to growl?

And don't try to explain this to me, I shall never understand it. :p

The only thing resembling black metal that is worth a damn is Dimmu Borgir. Kings of the Carnival Creation is an AMAZING song! But if you want true awesome metal, listen to the melodic death metal (a million times better than black metal)!! Arch Enemy, Soilwork, old In Flames, Hatesphere, Children of Bodom, and Kalmah OWN!!!!!

There is a Canadian band called "Into Eternity" who created an interesting merge of a polished prog sound with death metal. Anyone hear them? I'm not into the vocal growls at all. This may be a stupid question, but....if all these genres would HAVE to be under ONE main category, where would they be, prog? metal? Maybe I'm dense, but the genre categorization tends to confuse me more and more. Black Metal - Death Metal, what's the dif? How would you classify Rob Zombie? Now everyone's just shaking their heads. I'm serious, I'm confused over all this!! Thanks.:confused:

Originally posted by Pharoah
There is a Canadian band called "Into Eternity" who created an interesting merge of a polished prog sound with death metal. Anyone hear them? I'm not into the vocal growls at all. This may be a stupid question, but....if all these genres would HAVE to be under ONE main category, where would they be, prog? metal? Maybe I'm dense, but the genre categorization tends to confuse me more and more. Black Metal - Death Metal, what's the dif? Thanks.

looks like the genre guru has some work to do again:D i'll see if i can help a little:)

Death Metal-Lyrics deal with gore, death, spycho minds, bad side of life among other subjects. Vocals in death metal bands tend to be growls or screaming and brutal death metal bands use low gutural growls. The overall sound is often chaotic and the bands tend to have a pretty decent production backing them up.

Ex of death metal bands (Nile, Soilwork, Darkane, Death, Atheist)

Black Meta-Lyrics deal with speudo satanism and more often these days nordic pagan cults. Vocals are often screamed/screeched. Black metal bands tend to use a more classical aproach (to reach a more evil sound) some of them are more chaotic and others more mellow on speed with a very symphonic aproach. The production of the genre pretty much sucks:lol: :lol: :p

Ex of black metal bands (Satyricon, Immortal, Emperor, Mayhem)

I like two (count 'em!) black metal bands, Emperor and Dimmu Borgir, I can't get into the genre for the life of me (much like grind and death metal, except for Nile), Marduk, Mayhem, Satyricon, Dark Funeral, Immortal, Cradle of Filth (ugh!), etc, I can't get into them, oh well, if it was truly important, I would've done it by now.

Hey I just got an idea:D I think i'll make a thread with the subject being *Ask the genre guru* for all those that are still confused on certain genres :devil: ;)

To: Ultimate Symphony...Thanks for coming through. A thread?? If the world is as confused as I am with genre ID, I suggest you make a website to share your expertise!! GenreGuru.com :) (with a Forum...man, wouldn't that one be smokin' ?) :lol:

I like all metal.

Black Metal is just too damn cool for words... but so is all other metal...

For those who don't like growls, bah... jump into a lake of acid.. ahahehahehahhaha... -_-

It goes with the music. Making an aggressive song and singing like a Prog vocalist wouldn't work... it's gotta fit the music...

Although now I wanna hear an aggro song with Prog vox...

Originally posted by Luis
I hate black metal. The vocal parts are noisy, awful and exasperating.

I cant stand people who share tastes about power-progressive and black metal, for me that is not logic:confused:

...And i'm sure people who like Death or Black metal can't stand people who like Prog too.

It's ironic that you people are the kind who whinge about how eletist black metal fans are, and yet you give the same treatment back to them. Pure hypocricy!

Lets get things straight. Death Metal and Black Metal are nothing alike, they are not similar in any way. It pains me that they are always put in the same catagory.

I'm not a fan of True Black metal, like i said, mainly psuedo-black like Dimmu Borgir and Emperor. BUT I am a fan of Death Metal.

Why? Because Death Metal houses some of the most brilliant guitarwork to ever grace my ears. I don't personally like Prog vox 80% of the time, but that doesn't mean i don't appreciate the music. If you are real metalheads, and you are real musicians, you would get past your pretentious hate for unusual vocals, and you would understand that Death Metal and Progressive Metal share some things in Common.

Secondly, Death Metal is not necessarily about gore and immature lyrics. The band "Death" has some of the most brilliant lyrics ever written, if you don't beleive me, check out "Destiny" it will put most prog lyrics to shame. Or even better, "Perrenial Quest".

Thirdly, about guitarists. I'm sure that alot of you listen to prog because of the sheer amazing guitarwork, just like i do. I cannot understand how you can then go and shun a band like "Death" and an awesome guitarist like Chuck Schuldiner, when simply he was one of the greatest of our era.

And what about technical Death? Bands like CYNIC, ATHEIST, later DEATH, MARTYR... if you have passed up the opportunity to hear their guitarists, and their awesome music, simply because you can't see past the vocals, then you are missing an AWFUL lot of good music.

What's the worst that could happen if you check these bands out? You don't like them, and fair enough. I'm gathering that alot of you haven't even heard the bands i've mentioned, so why not check this stuff out and see?:

Cynic -

Textures ****** MUST HAVE FOR PROGSTERS!!!
Uroboric Forms

Death -

Perrenial Quest
Flesh and the Power it holds
Trapped in a corner

Martyr -

Warp Zone
Virtual Emotions
Prototype
Hopeless Hopes

Atheist -

Brains
Mineral
Unquestionable Presence

Although now I wanna hear an aggro song with Prog vox...

Nevermore - 42147
Nevermore - Lost
Nevermore - The Learning

Nevermore were once a prog metal band. The Politics of Ecstasy is a brilliant album, you guys should also check that out. 42147 is one of the most brilliant peices of music I have ever heard!

[/rant]

-Trapped (sick of eletist metalheads bickering about genres)