The black metal topic

ETERNAL TEARS OF SORROW !!!!!!!!!

dimmu borgir

arcturus

children of bodom

black vox to me is black metal.. i dont care about the fundamentals of it, if its got the black vox then thats what it is .. besides he didnt ask about specifically fundamental black metal, he asked for everything.. i love the proggy/avantgarde/different sort of black metal above all else.. the mix of clean and harsh is the best.

SilentRealm said:
ETERNAL TEARS OF SORROW !!!!!!!!!

dimmu borgir

arcturus

children of bodom

black vox to me is black metal.. i dont care about the fundamentals of it, if its got the black vox then thats what it is .. besides he didnt ask about specifically fundamental black metal, he asked for everything.. i love the proggy/avantgarde/different sort of black metal above all else.. the mix of clean and harsh is the best.
In the interest of not sounding like a dirty genre whore, I won't even touch that post. ;O

Samael
Dimmu Borgir
Arcturus
Mayhem

Sometimes I get really fed up with the genre-snobbery displayed by a lot of metal (especially black metal) fans. So what if this and that band don't sound like early Darkthrone or Mayhem? If some people can be so anal about listening to music that's "not true to black metal", how on Earth would they react to, *gasp*, a completely different style of music altogether? Jazz? :Smug:

aiwass said:
Sometimes I get really fed up with the genre-snobbery displayed by a lot of metal (especially black metal) fans. So what if this and that band don't sound like early Darkthrone or Mayhem? If some people can be so anal about listening to music that's "not true to black metal", how on Earth would they react to, *gasp*, a completely different style of music altogether? Jazz? :Smug:
(This is not directed at you, i'm just using your post as an example)

One thing is being a genre-snob and another thing is saying ''*insert band name here* are a black metal band, when they clearly aren't. Let me use Children Of Bodom as an example. I certainly don't see why people keep saying they are a black metal band when they don't even have traces of that, not even the vocals are of a black metal band IMO. The music and the whole structure of the songs is 100% power metal. My best guess is that people who call a band like Children of Bodom black metal are people who don't know a lot about the genre and when they hear the harsh vox they say, bang! this is a black metal band.

sorry guys ...
i think black metal sucks. it's no art in my eyes. i just don't understand, why people listen to that kind of music ...
some may think, they are evil and the music is also evil so they have to (like a religion). the most important thing in a good band is the singing and the melody. if you neither hear a brilliant singer nor a nice melody but it's very heavy ... you are listening to black metal.

adur said:
sorry guys ...
i think black metal sucks. it's no art in my eyes. i just don't understand, why people listen to that kind of music ...
some may think, they are evil and the music is also evil so they have to (like a religion). the most important thing in a good band is the singing and the melody. if you neither hear a brilliant singer nor a nice melody but it's very heavy ... you are listening to black metal.
Thank you for making such an idiotic assumption. I know it's your opinion an all, but don't insult a genre without even hearing a decent number of bands; I mean, no nice melodies on black metal? (or good singers?) are you fuckin' deaf? Check out Ulver's Bergtatt and come back again.

like i said... ETERNAL TEARS OF SORROW .. not full on black metal, but has mostly black metal vox and their songs, especially "the river flows frozen" are some of the most stunning pieces of music ive ever heard. i hate when people make uneducated judgements of music based on the stereotype of the genre.

@Ultimate_Symphony: Good point, and I agree, however I was talking more about people who will refuse to listen to something, simply because it's considered "uncool" by the black metal community. For instance, Dimmu Borgir have very few followers among black metal fans, since they are considered too commercial. Should any of these black metallers voice the opinion that they in fact like Dimmu a lot, they will be met with a barrage of "They sold out!" or "They haven't made anything good since [insert whichever album they made just before they started mixing professional-sounding, AUDIBLE records]". In general, black metal fans will tell you that Dimmu is far too commercial. WTF? I know they're not as grim as perhaps Gorgoroth or Myrkskog, but are lyrics about Satan, band members wearing spiked leather and corpsepaint and songs involving blastbeats, brutal distortion and harsh vocals really ever commercial? Hardly mainstream, at least.

aiwass said:
@Ultimate_Symphony: Good point, and I agree, however I was talking more about people who will refuse to listen to something, simply because it's considered "uncool" by the black metal community. For instance, Dimmu Borgir have very few followers among black metal fans, since they are considered too commercial. Should any of these black metallers voice the opinion that they in fact like Dimmu a lot, they will be met with a barrage of "They sold out!" or "They haven't made anything good since [insert whichever album they made just before they started mixing professional-sounding, AUDIBLE records]". In general, black metal fans will tell you that Dimmu is far too commercial. WTF? I know they're not as grim as perhaps Gorgoroth or Myrkskog, but are lyrics about Satan, band members wearing spiked leather and corpsepaint and songs involving blastbeats, brutal distortion and harsh vocals really ever commercial? Hardly mainstream, at least.
Yeah, that's true.

Metal has desensitized me... i always kinda thought of dimmu as pretty accessable... i never really thought much about what went into them :lol: I love dimmu, but to me they do seem to have a bit of the commercial sound..... that's not a bad thing. i just always wondered why they weren't on the radio...

In black metal terms, Dimmu is very accessible and commercial. Structurally, Dimmu isn't wholly black metal, anyway. Their newer stuff has thrash and industrial influences. Real black metal is supposed to have shitty production, grim and cold atmosphere, be utterly unaccessible, all those cliches, y'know.

Ultimate_Symphony said:
My best guess is that people who call a band like Children of Bodom black metal are people who don't know a lot about the genre and when they hear the harsh vox they say, bang! this is a black metal band.

Agreed. Bodom's music has much more in common with power and thrash metal than black OR death metal (seeing as how they get lumped into melodic death often too).

holy crap ... where does Kalmah fit into all of this?? ... i can see its not as heavy and stuff ... and u can actually read the logo, but gawd i love them! bodom is pretty cool and i like skyfire, too, i know its the "lighter side" of black metal, but ... ya know ... i can say what i want and so can everyone else.

Well I don't really know if they're black metal or not so I won't claim they are.. but I like these bands:

Dimmu Borgir :)
Satyricon
Rotting Christ
Immortal

kalmah kalmah kalmah kalmah kalmah kalmah kalmah kalmah kalmah kalmah kalmah kalmah kalmah kalmah kalmah kalmah, everyone shouldnt go a day without listening to kalmah. unless u've already heard 'em and dont like 'em.