Black Metal

Yeah... Nevermore are more Power Metal in my eyes though...

I meant crunchy downtuned blastbeat metal from hell, with a LaBrie clone wailing along to it... heh...

Would be very hardcore indeed...

And I agree Trapped, elitist metalheads are everywhere.... why can't people just like METAL and all of it...

:p

I like Death very much, but as you said- death metal ain't the same as black metal. I'm not sure about Chuck Schuldiner being the greatest guitarist of his era, tho. You might have misplaced him for Andy LaRocque or Shannon Hamm (both played in Death), perhaps?

I'm getting into death/black, but for me the difference between those two is in the mood:
death metal is the ultimate aggressiveness, (at the gates, the haunted, napalm death, nile, etc).
Black metal is agressive, although with a dark and gloomy feeling(opeth, inFlames, etc).

Originally posted by EyeAm
I can't really stand the vocals at all most of the time. If you count CoB as black metal... then sure.
If someone seriously consider cob BM that person is braindead.
Same with the people saying Opeth is black metal.
And Dieblo, how the fuck can you get the idea that In Flames are black metal, yet alone dark and gloomy?!?!

And yeah, I like BM and SyX

Black metal is agressive, although with a dark and gloomy feeling(opeth, inFlames, etc).

You gotta be kidding me !!?? The two examples you are no way near Black Metal ... Opeth has always been categorised under Death Metal (Prog Death if you will) and In Flames is a clear Case of Gothenburg Deathmetal ...

Damn where is that Genreguru when tou need him :D

If you want good Semi-Balck metal with lots of atmosphere (the kind I Like ;)) you should try :

Cradle Of Filth (Midian)
Axamenta (Codex Barathri)
Dimmu Borgir (Puritanical Euphoric Misanthrophy)
Emperor (Prometheus-the discipline of fire and demise)
Hollenthon (With vilest of worms to dwell)
Old man's Child (Revelation 666)
Covenant (Nexus Polaris)
Sentenced (North from here)
Immortal (At the Heart of Winter)

That's as far as my knowledge goes :cool:

Originally posted by Pharoah
To: Ultimate Symphony...Thanks for coming through. A thread?? If the world is as confused as I am with genre ID, I suggest you make a website to share your expertise!! GenreGuru.com :) (with a Forum...man, wouldn't that one be smokin' ?) :lol:

here's the genre guru :lol: ;)

:lol: You're welcome bud oh and btw great Idea i would love to do that :devil:

Seeing some posts around here I noticed that someone said that In Flames and Opeth are black metal, like brokkel said they aren't even near black metal.

As for Luis comment,

I agree with trapped, I wish that some people would not be so close minded and at least give the genres a try (note i'm not saying you're close minded) Death metal lyrics aren't about gore (only some gore/brutal death bands) that's what many people that don't know the genre quickly come up with. Talking about vocals, give em' a try, I can't really understand how people can hate so much death metal vocalists and love a vocalist like James Labrie who if you ask me is awful live and decent in recordings (I like DT but I can't stand Labrie sometimes)

Death metal lyrics are way beyond sole gore, there are much more subjects on death metal music if you didn't really notice as trapped said.

And btw just to let dieblo know earlier Napalm Death was grindcore and later Napalm death was indeed death metal:D

Originally posted by Dado-x
I like Death very much, but as you said- death metal ain't the same as black metal. I'm not sure about Chuck Schuldiner being the greatest guitarist of his era, tho. You might have misplaced him for Andy LaRocque or Shannon Hamm (both played in Death), perhaps?

Andy Larocque and Shannon, while awesome guitarists. Didn't write squat for death. Chuck was Death, and that's that.

Have a look at the Live in LA dvd/video, and watch chuck play, his solo's are amazing, and his rhythm work is outstanding.

I meant crunchy downtuned blastbeat metal from hell, with a LaBrie clone wailing along to it... heh...

That would... Indeed... Sound like ASS.

oh a thought just came to my mind and I woud like to post it up.

If you don't enjoy a genre there's no problem to that but at least give genres a chance and don't make judgment or opinions over genres just because you've heard 1 or 2 bands, a lot of people do this and they miss a lot of damn good music just because they make jugment/opinions on their own ignorance:)

I guess most prog/power fans (Symphony X as an example) would not like black metal very much. Vocals is one problem. Being a classic metal fan myself, I used to hate the death vocals (though it's in the past now). The second thing about black metal is that the bands mentioned here (Dimmu Borgir, Emperor) use so-called "neo-classical" sound which sounds pretty cheesy if you ask me. I tried to "get into" Dimmu Borgir's Puritanical Misanthropia CD, but after first couple of songs it really starts to sound like background noise that you kind of tend to ignore. Same with Emperor. Maybe it's just me? I do like Immortal, though, they sound heavier and without cheesy symphonical sound. Don't get me wrong - I do like symphonic metal, if properly done. In fact, I'm a Therion fan (here we go, another black metal band, more or less).

Someone mentioned Opeth. That's a completely different story. I think true prog metal fans will appreciate this band. For those who don't know, they can be described as death/gothic, but they are much more than that. Vocals are mostly done in death voice. But - they are very progressive, and use a lot of interesting and fresh sounding effects, such as acoustic guitar in combination with double-bass drumming. Their songs tend to be long, with time changes, slow acoustic parts, you name it. Definitely give them a try. I would recommend Still Life or Blackwater Park albums for the beginners, they are not as brutal as earlier work, and have some clean vocals on them. Just be open-minded towards death vocals.

-GK

Originally posted by †Russel Allen†®
I like Cannibal Corpse, Dimmu Borgir, Death, Rhaps... oops, not this one... hehehe... uhmm... Deicide, Krisiun...
hehe hey Russell I don't want to look like a genre nazi or something but Cannibal Corpse,Death,Deicide aren't black metal just to let you know:)

Ps.I don't know about Krisiun I haven't heard anything from them

Tidfall and Satyricon are fucking great live bands. Keep of Kalessin's Trough Times of War, Dimmu Burger's Enthrone Darkness Triumphant, Emperor's IX Equilibrium, Tidfall's Circular Supremacy and Setherial's Nord are the greatest masterpieces of the genre. Setherial's Lords of the Nightrealm is also fucking awesome but I rather cathegorize (what a great word) it to Death Metal. If you're interested in quality Black Metal, check out those bands.

Ok first of all...

Therion is NOT black metal.

As to their roots.. they were death metal, and now they're some sort of neoclassical norse opera revival metal. They get so many genres thrown at them its unbelievable.

As for black metal... its NOT always fast blast beats and shrieky vocals.

goto this site

http://www.barbarianwrath.org/EvilOfferings/index.html

and download some mp3s from some true black metal bands.

NP: Countess - Child of the Millenia

Originally posted by Ultimate_Symphony
hehe hey Russell I don't want to look like a genre nazi or something but Cannibal Corpse,Death,Deicide aren't black metal just to let you know:)

Ps.I don't know about Krisiun I haven't heard anything from them

From that, you can realize that I'm not much into this "Black Metal" stuff!! I just listen to laugh a little, and to make some noisy thing, just that...

But, buddy... If U don't know Krisiun, YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE MISSING!!!!!

They're a brazilian death (or black...) metal band, and they're very acclaimed all over europe, and asia...

You should try to catch some song of this band... If U enjoy extreme metal, this is the band!!!

>>Death metal lyrics aren't about gore (only some gore/brutal death bands) <<

One good example is Cookie Monster. He's got the voice, but it's all about the alphabet, and one of these things not being like the other, and all that. And he was around before ANY of the "other" death metal bands were started.

:)

Originally posted by Hyoukinmono
>>Death metal lyrics aren't about gore (only some gore/brutal death bands) <<

One good example is Cookie Monster. He's got the voice, but it's all about the alphabet, and one of these things not being like the other, and all that. And he was around before ANY of the "other" death metal bands were started.

:)

:lol: I hope that was a joke ;)