Black Rose Immortal: Live?

Would you like Opeth to play Black Rose Immortal on the next tour?

• Yes

Votes: 134 67.3%
  • No

Votes: 65 32.7%

• Total voters
'Black Rose Immortal' is one of single worst written songs I have heard* It is overlong - essentially 20 minutes for the sake of having a 20 minute song. There are good parts within it - even some great parts - but the flow of it is horrific, totally lacking in any type of cohesion. If it wasn't the Opeth 'EPIC' song, I doubt whether people would care much for it. I'm glad that by the next album they actually started writing 'songs' as opposed to parts.

*Denotes: In my opinion.

So BRI is one of the worst songs you have ever heard? Be honest with yourself here. Name worse Opeth songs than Black Rose Immortal.

And name better songs on Watershed than BRI.

I know Mikael about making "special gigs", which mean it is very possible that they will play Black Rose Immortal in the future. We could also hear the whole Still Life, or My Arms, Your Hearse. Who knows? :)

"No, 2-3 better songs instead" is a good argument, but what if they put it in the setlist instead of that way overplayed Drapery Falls/Demon of the Fall combo? I mean obviously I wouldn't pass up Wreath and The Lotus Eater or something for it, but you'd hope that's the shit they'd keep anyway.

ok:
- Coil
- Heir Apparent
- The Lotus Eater
- Burden
- Porcelain Heart
- Hessian Peel
- Hex Omega

Do you enjoy any of Opeth's older stuff?

"No, 2-3 better songs instead" is a good argument, but what if they put it in the setlist instead of that way overplayed Drapery Falls/Demon of the Fall combo? I mean obviously I wouldn't pass up Wreath and The Lotus Eater or something for it, but you'd hope that's the shit they'd keep anyway.

I know Mikael about making "special gigs", which mean it is very possible that they will play Black Rose Immortal in the future. We could also hear the whole Still Life, or My Arms, Your Hearse. Who knows? :)

Well Mikael has been adding a lot of new songs to the set list recently. So maybe we will get a nice surprise this tour or the next. Hopefully anyway.

So BRI is one of the worst songs you have ever heard? Be honest with yourself here. Name worse Opeth songs than Black Rose Immortal.

And name better songs on Watershed than BRI.

I didn't say it was one of the worst songs I've heard. Try to keep up, ok. I said it was one of the 'worst written songs I've heard', as in songwriting. I even said some of the parts were great in the song. Much in the same way that 'Porcelain Heart' is disjointed.

I know that 'Black Rose Immortal' is a dream set inclusion for a lot of fans, and fair enough. Personally I'd rather hear My Arms, Your Hearse or Still Life played in their entireties, but I doubt I will ever get to see that.

As for songs on Watershed that are better than 'Black Rose Immortal', I would say just about all of them - or at least I would rather hear those songs live.

lol @ making a distinction between "worst song" and "worst written song," it's exactly the same thing

name a song that is poorly written but is still a good song. conversely, name a song that is well written but isn't good. in summation, BRI owns your dumb face

lol @ making a distinction between "worst song" and "worst written song," it's exactly the same thing

name a song that is poorly written but is still a good song. conversely, name a song that is well written but isn't good. in summation, BRI owns your dumb face

haha, touche'.

I think it's a solid song; great atmosphere and some cool riffs. It may be a little 'disjointed', but the breaks in between acoustic sections seem to work well i think- they help enhance the atmosphere.

in summary, i challenge anyone to put together all their own favourite riffs/arrrangements, and write a better song :)

black rose immortal is a great opeth classic which -i have never heard- has never been played live...maybe only when they were touring for morningrise. it has amazing twin guitar partitions which i would love to see played live for once at least in my life. and it would be pretty stupid to deny that.

if i hear them play bri on a gig id at first think "wow, thats pretty cool" and after a minute or two id just be pissed at the fact this piece of shit will take up 20 minutes of this gig when they got so many better songs in their catalogue to choose from.

I agree with that "im hem yenagnu et ze etzlenu ze ikah eze shlish me ha hofaa :/"

XDDD

its pretty simple BRI has been out since 96 and has never been played live in its entirety. And even if it had it would´ve been in 96 or 97 when nobody knew Opeth. Much like Apostle or TTIMR i would love to hear it live.