Black Sabbath "Paranoid" on Deluxe 3CD

Wyvern

Master of Disaster
Staff member
Nov 24, 2002
Through out the history of rock some albums are considered to be historic works either for breaking a new sound or transforming a little known band into Icons of their genre.

Iron Maiden debut album, Led Zeppelin IV and Black Sabbath Paranoid are just some of the legendary albums of a list of possibly only 10 or 12 masterpieces.

On September 29th, Universal Music are issuing Black Sabbath "Paranoid" on Double Vinyl and a Deluxe 3CD Set.

Now, for the first time-ever, the blueprint, or rather black-print, to Sabbath’s musical plan can be scrutinised via a myriad of previously unreleased studio outtakes, recently unearthed and compiled as additional bonus discs accompanying the band genre defining 1970 album Paranoid.

Paranoid is the second album by the British heavy metal band Black Sabbath. It was released in the United Kingdom during September 1970, and contains some of their most famous work, including the songs "Iron Man", "War Pigs" and the title track.

The album is regarded as a classic of the heavy metal genre and one of the most influental heavy metal albums. It has been certified 4 x Platinum, having sold over four million copies in the US alone, making it Black Sabbath's best-selling album.

The "Paranoid" single, released before the album, reached number four in the UK. Pushed by its success, the album hit number one in the UK, and is the only Black Sabbath album to have done so. The US release was held until January 1971, as the Black Sabbath album was still on the charts at the time of Paranoid's UK release. The album broke into the top ten in the US in March 1971, and would go on to sell four million copies in the US alone, with virtually no radio airplay.

Paranoid is expanded to a triple-disc containing the extremely rare 1974 Quadrophonic mix of the album. The album also includes deluxe digipak gatefold packaging with expanded booklets containing rare and previously unseen photographs, comprehensive sleeve-notes telling the story behind each album and include images of rare single covers and memorabilia from the period.

Paranoid is the first release in a set of Black Sabbath deluxe expanded editions. Each remastered album includes an additional disc of previously unheard outtakes, demos and instrumental tracks taken from the original studio sessions.

Tracklist:

Disc 1 (Original Album):
1. ‘War Pigs’
2. ‘Paranoid’
3. ‘Planet Caravan’
4. ‘Iron Man’
5. ‘Electric Funeral’
6. ‘Hand Of Doom’
7. ‘Rat Salad’
8. ‘Fairies Wear Boots’

Disc 2 (1974 Quadrophonic Mix) - the surround version:
1. ‘War Pigs’
2. ‘Paranoid’
3. ‘Planet Caravan’
4. ‘Iron Man’
5. ‘Electric Funeral’
6. ‘Hand Of Doom’
7. ‘Rat Salad’
8. ‘Fairies Wear Boots’

Disc 3 (Previously Unreleased Bonus Tracks):
(Tracks 1-8 recorded at Regent Sound Studios, June 16th and 17th, 1970)
1. ‘War Pigs’ (instrumental)
2. ‘Paranoid’ (alternative lyrical version)
3. ‘Planet Caravan’ (alternative lyrical version)
4. ‘Iron Man’ (instrumental)
5. ‘Electric Funeral’ (instrumental)
6. ‘Hand Of Doom’ (instrumental)
7. ‘Rat Salad’ (instrumental)
8. ‘Fairies Wear Boots’ (instrumental)

As much as the third CD appeals to me as a collector I'm just tired of all these reissues to cash on the fans. I already have the album, I had it on vinyl and then on CD, more than enough for a lifetime.

I may get it for the quad sound mix. I would be really impressed if they would do something like Nine Inch Nails did with their "Year Zero" album and release the master tracks on a separate bonus disc so we can do our own mixes. :kickass:

I definitely need to get ahold of disk 3!!!!

Is the quadrophonic mix any different if you're listening on headphones, or do you need to play it on a full surround sound system for it to be different from the standard mix?

Is the quadrophonic mix any different if you're listening on headphones, or do you need to play it on a full surround sound system for it to be different from the standard mix?

It will sound different because it's been re-mixed, but you won't hear the quadrophonic sound on headphones. You need front and rear speakers.

The surround mix is the only thing I'm interested in. Hopefully they'll release that as a stand-alone DVD audio at some point in the future.

Even though I'm a huge Black Sabbath fan even I have to say enough is enough! I already have the entire Sabbath catalog and I see nothing here that justifies buying this "deluxe" set. A quadrophonic mix? I ask you this: does the quad mix actually improve the quality of the songs over the stereo mix? Probably not. Sabbath was never known for their aural landscapes and especially not on Paranoid which was recorded over a few weeks at the most. Now if this was Yes or some other studio-obsessed progressive band then the quad mix might reveal nuances never before heard, but I don't think this is the case with Tony Iommi's heavy riffing.
And the disc with the "instrumental versions"? More likely just rehersal tracks that hadn't had vocals put on them yet. A true instrumental version of a song is more than just the regular track sans vocals. It's a version which has been arranged to be played as an instrumental track. Check out Jethro Tull's instrumental versions of their own songs to see what I'm talking about.
I repeat, I'm a huge Black Sabbath fan, but this is just pointless.

Not interested. TBH there's way more music out there that I am interested in buying before I buy a re-issue with a bunch of bonus tracks I don't need and would only listen to once.