Blackest of the Black - LA!

i saw the crutches in the pit too. i thought it was a good show, but the bands i was there to see(nile, opeth) had such short sets, so i was kinda bummed. nile was excellent, but the guitars were way too low the whole time. it seems like all the sound at the universal amphitheater is focused to the center and the rest of the place gets low sound.

I missed the first three bands, oh well.

Opeth was awesome, only three songs but jeezus those guys are intense live.

SJR... we sat outside. I love Phil Enselmo and Pantera, but SJR is boring.

Danzig played one of the best shows he ever has, fucking incredible energy and set. Not to mention that he has a decent band for the first time in years. Phil came out and did Death Comes Ripping with them, fucking incredible.

Yeah, if you ever buy tickets to UA, always buy center! Seriously, I'd take center in the back over right or left in the front.

I missed all of Lacuna's set except for the final song, one of my faves, so I'll have to accept that. I Love that Scabbia. The way she performed was different than I had expected, with her headbanging right along with the rest of the band. They were full of energy, and I wished I could have seen more.

Nile was entertaining in their ancient Egyptian thematics, though I enjoyed the interludes and the mid-paced tempos more than the blistering death moments. That brutal death all starts sounding the same after two songs.

My third Opeth show; they were of course great performers, respectable in both musicianship and persona. I still think Mikael could make a hell of a lot of money as a public speaker or DJ with that baritone of his. Damn, I wish I would have known about the San Diego show the NEXT DAY with just them and Lacuna... sigh.

SJR. Being that I've always detested Pantera and Anselmo, I wasn't expecting much. The dickhead comes out on stage, hammered out of his mind, flashing the sieg-heil, and for the next 30 minutes that I can bear watching the band, makes a complete and utter ass out of himself. I fucking hate that prick.

Though Danzig is about 5'4'' (and this is WITH the high heeled steel boots), his ego is inflated to the size of a zeppelin. I couldn't stifle a grin each time a 'tortured' look came upon his face. His voice? Well, he doesn't seem to know how to hold his notes, has no breath control, and there are moments he sounds like Kermit the Frog.

Opeth was amazing that night.

Behemoth was good, I like them, and they played my favorite one of their songs (Decade of Therion).

Lacuna coil was ok...i guess....Andre couldn't be heard that much, and I just couldn't get into them that much.

Nile played great, but could have been better, if it didn't sound so muddy. I got chills everytime i heard an egyptian chorus or something.

Opeth was amazing, I wish they had played all night. I'm soooo glad they played Demon of the Fall. I went to the show hoping they would, and left glad that they did.

SJR was ok, but Phil's just too full of himself. Phil isn't as "true" as he claims to be. He played in a mainstream band for years. For the record some of his other bands (necrophagia, anyone?) suck hard.

Danzig....i loved it. Nobody else that i went with did, though. He's old, he's fat, he wears funny gloves, and he has steve austin and half naked women on stage. how can you not love it?

I got a kick out of you waving your crutches around (assuming that was you, and you weren't sitting somewhere in the back being miserable with the crutches).

Overall the night was worth my 40 bucks.