Blackwater Park review 4/10

haha just because someone doesn't like it doesn't mean you shouldn't or that it's trash. damn, i love when people get so fuckin antsy about stupid reviews.
i didn't read it, cause i don't give a shit, but from the part trey quoted, i enjoyed this part: "this album crawls along like a two-legged dog which needs to be put out of its misery. :lol:

I agree that Blackwater Park is Opeth's weakest album simply because it is, in comparison to their other albums, not so full of good ideas.

charlest.jpg

^ the guy who wrote the review

shit review. the idea of counting riffs to determine a song's artistic merit is so stupid it's funny

BWP is my least favourite Opeth album. I adore the first three songs, but after Harvest... not so good, guys.

As soon as he adopts that clean voice on “The Leper Affinity” I cannot help but cringe. He has a limited amount of singing potential; he just fails to utilize it correctly. I have previously discussed Dave Mustaine’s vocals as doing pretty damn well with what little he has been given. Well Mikael on the other hand, has done very little with what great amount he possesses. The songwriting showcases his vocal-work like a shattered trophy case housing the Stanley Cup. This in turn takes away the majestic beauty behind the achievement and gives it the awful appearance of a child’s prize.

This was definitly mad-libbed.

There are instances where juxtaposing brutality with serenity is awe-inspiring but OPETH do not come close to approaching these instances.

It's a good thing Opeth aren't the undisputed masters of such juxtaposition. I think he just wanted to use that word.

On BWP:
The last track is somewhat interesting until it sputters off at 2:50 resorting to typical OPETH technical masturbation.

Damn that Yngwie Akerfeldt! This is just silly.

Next time you’re bored pull out a Thesaurus and look up overrated. Don’t be surprised to find OPETH listed as the first synonym.

After reading that review, I wouldn't be surprised either. He seems to know his way around a thesaurus very well.

jesus.. who cares.. i just stopped worrying about online reviews cos it's always either 'i love it' or 'i hate it'.. There's never any mid ground.. it's either fanboys or people who despise them enough. My friend went on about how Agalloch's reviews on metalarchives or whatver where overall much better than Opeths.. Agalloch are such an unheard of band, only people who like them are gonna bother reviewing them! If you like it, good.. if others don't.. their loss! One person's trash is another's treasure

i love that sight and read it a lot but that guy is very opinionated... he almost always reviews grim blackmetal.

I really don't see how it could be a 4/10...

As soon as he adopts that clean voice on “The Leper Affinity” I cannot help but cringe. He has a limited amount of singing potential; he just fails to utilize it correctly. I have previously discussed Dave Mustaine’s vocals as doing pretty damn well with what little he has been given. Well Mikael on the other hand, has done very little with what great amount he possesses. The songwriting showcases his vocal-work like a shattered trophy case housing the Stanley Cup. This in turn takes away the majestic beauty behind the achievement and gives it the awful appearance of a child’s prize.

charlest.jpg

You hear that heavy, skull-crushing riff in the background? That is hate-filled and anger inducing; I can feel it running down my spine.

:tickled: :tickled: :tickled: :tickled: :tickled: :tickled: :tickled: :tickled:
he made my day!