Blackwater Park review 4/10

Name: Charles Theel

Email address: charlest (at) metal-observer.com

Function: Reviewer

Compatible styles: Black, Thrash, Death, Some Traditional, Some Thrashy Power Metal

Incompatible styles: Stoner Metal, Nu-Metal

Thoughts on the main Metal genres:

Black Metal: My favorite genre. I love the more raw and primitive material although I have enjoyed more melodic stuff from time to time (NAGLFAR, BORKNAGAR). Releases definitely have to have atmosphere to make my collection.

Death Metal: Used to be my favorite genre and served as a gateway to Black Metal for me. I enjoy the more epic and unusual releases such as EDGE OF SANITY’s “Crimson” and anything by GORGUTS. Have grown bored with the same old same old of CANNIBAL CORPSE and bands of that mold. I love the more technical and brutal stuff.

Thrash Metal: Gotta love the speed and aggression. I enjoy the more lower pitched vocals and there has to be great guitar solos. This genre is what really got me into actual Metal and out of Mallcore.

Heavy/Power Metal: I enjoy the classics such as PRIEST and MAIDEN but generally do not listen to many straight up Heavy Metal bands. Usually too slow for my tastes and bland.

Doom Metal: I have recently discovered the joys of Funeral Doom. I do not listen to too much material from this genre but do enjoy it from time to time. Also, who doesn’t love BLACK SABBATH?

Progressive Metal: I hate OPETH. Don’t get me started on this band and their pretentiousness. I do enjoy a few bands of this genre and love some of the more progressive Death and Black Metal releases but as a whole this genre does very little for me.

Gothic Metal: Very limited experience with this genre. I enjoy the atmosphere of what few tracks I’ve heard but have not experienced anything which has grabbed me and forced me to listen

:Smug:

Jesus, if i had read this review and had never heard opeth before i would never have even consideredlisten to it, this guy really hates opeth. i dont understand why seeing as i have been a long time fan of Them but lets face it, the guy is a complete ponce and deserves to burn in hell with over zealous and pretentious arguement. he uses hes opinons and bad factual arguement that theyr arent enough riffs, id like to see that cunt come up with as many good riffs.

Compared to Opeths first three albums, Blackwaterpark was a bit dissapointing. I wouldn't give it a 4 though, I would give it a 7 out of 10, yes it was dissapointing but it could of been worse.

hahaha! Opeth are among the least pretentious bands ever. heh, the first time i watched the DVD, i thought mike was gonna leave the stage because he was so embarrassed.

Compare them with bands like Metallica and Megadeth. Jeez.

dorian gray said:
hahaha! Opeth are among the least pretentious bands ever. heh, the first time i watched the DVD, i thought mike was gonna leave the stage because he was so embarrassed.

Compare them with bands like Metallica and Megadeth. Jeez.

You have to admit that some of the lyrics look like random thesaurus entries. I think that's the only thing that's pretentious about Opeth. It was really bad on the first two albums, but as they've progressed, Mike's started putting alot more sense into those verses. Hasn't laid off the thesaurus yet though :)

haha! i'll have to trust you Moonie; I have no idea what the lyrics are on the first two albums - I don't read lyrics. Just a thought though - maybe Mike wasn't very strong in English back then? For comparison, *most* EAASL bands have pretty silly lyrics (from our perspective).

I'd like to see that guy do a review without using a simile. The one about the trophy case was, well... it was redundant. He has a right to his opinion and I have a right to say he's a jackass :)

Reffering to Bleak...

"he song proves entertaining for a mind-blowing 3:30 when those horribly planted clean vocals rear their ugly head. You hear that heavy, skull-crushing riff in the background? That is hate-filled and anger inducing; I can feel it running down my spine. So why the hell are we throwing clean vocals over it and turning this Louisville slugger into a wiffle ball bat?"

Not that I care if someone likes them or not, thats just funny to me... besides, i bet he loves Steven Wilson.

That guy called Patterns In The Ivy emotionless.. hhahahhahah hahahahhah. What a great reviewer.. and he said Dave Mustaine’s vocals are pretty damn good in comparison to Mikael Akerfeldt.. hhahahhah... I think you need to learn proper grammer before writing a review..

I stumbled across this review a couple days ago and thought about posting it here, but then I thought, no, what's the point?
So some guy hates Opeth, woopdefuckendoo.

btw I would rate Deadwing about 4/10.