Blending Amp sim track with real guitar?

shinakumah

New Metal Member
Feb 3, 2008
Savage, MD
www.myspace.com
I have never gotten anything remotely usuable with ampsims alone , but with a lot of tweaking and a decent cab impulse, I've had some hit-and-miss results. Does anybody here blend a mic'd guitar with an ampsim track with good results?

On Ghost Reveries i used the MF400 for the main rythms. To be honest i can't remember what amps we used, i know it was one Mesa double Rectifier, but i must get back and... Oh no!!! Never ment to give this away, but the secondary pair was actually a POD XT with the (at the time new) Metal Pack! I see a shit storm coming this way. :) I remember now that i did regret it in the mix, and it's mostly the Mesa you will hear.

Jens does it apparently!!

Tuomo Valtonen at Sundi Coop (Ensiferum, Wintersun, Finntroll to name a few bands that he has recorded) uses a POD combined to real amps often. And doesn't Peter Tägtgren do that aswell? With a Sansamp?

I myself do use a POD from time to time (combined to a real amp) but can't remember when was the last time it ended up in a mix...

I think that the latest Diablo album is blended with POD. I'm not 100% sure ,but i think i'm hearing it there.

I never really understood why one would use a POD if he can have a REAL recto/mershall/engl....

I've got a POD XT and I'm ONLY using it for prepro, monitoring while tracking etc,....

I'd rather just doubletrack a real amp than 4-track and have 2 tracks of POd or similar in there...

seriously, I don't understand it, why use the copy (modelling) when you can have the real deal?

I honestly think a properly miced 15watt tranny practiceamp sounds better than a POD etc (w/o using impulses).

Forgive me Lasse, but I have to be a dick: because it sounds good? Because there are no rules? Because pretentious condescending recording "advice"? :loco:

But seriously, if it works, it works! And I hate to be telling you this, cuz you rule and of course you know it, but it's the only answer I can think of! :erk:

I never really understood why one would use a POD if he can have a REAL recto/mershall/engl....

I've got a POD XT and I'm ONLY using it for prepro, monitoring while tracking etc,....

I'd rather just doubletrack a real amp than 4-track and have 2 tracks of POd or similar in there...

seriously, I don't understand it, why use the copy (modelling) when you can have the real deal?

I honestly think a properly miced 15watt tranny practiceamp sounds better than a POD etc (w/o using impulses).

Ya I'm with you on this. I just don't get it. Seems like you could get a better mix out of a mediocre real amp than you could out of a perfectly dialed in Pod.

Agreed. I've always preferred the sound of a real amp compared to a sim (only had the chance to use impulses when recording though, unfortunately). However, I've combined real amps with amp sims on the last two projects I've done due to limitations with reamping time/only having one amp to reamp with, and the results have been great!

I have a 6505+ and I can borrow a Psa-1 from a friend. I was planning to blend them in a future recording, quadtracking and having 2 tracks with each one and then use impulses. Do you think that's a good idea or I should quadtrack with just the peavey? The tone I'm after is something like Devildriver's "Fury..." album, Chimaira's "Resurrection"..

I don't agree on the last statement. I don't think a 10 watt tranny could beat big bottom with impulses - prove me wrong here though ;)
but I totaly agree, if you have decent amp + a possibility to play it loud, there is no need for modeling. but many living room producers cannot mic up a loud amp, so modeling should do the trick for them. With my preamp and impulses though I have the best of two worlds.
but I can image other needs for modeling amp. let's say you have a 5150 but you like to produce a nice clean tone (I know some like the clean tone out of a 5150) you may consider using a pod.

you take it over the pod for blending with "real" tube amps and not on it's own? agreed ;)
I think we both have a healthy opinion about what a pod is good for (demoing, tracking guide tone, ...)!

I have a 6505+ and I can borrow a Psa-1 from a friend. I was planning to blend them in a future recording, quadtracking and having 2 tracks with each one and then use impulses. Do you think that's a good idea or I should quadtrack with just the peavey? The tone I'm after is something like Devildriver's "Fury..." album, Chimaira's "Resurrection"..

By all means try PSA out if you can do so for free. You might like it.
It can bring in a level of evilness =)
Try out the Pantera preset to get started...

But I'm almost sure that you will end up using just the 6505 quadtracked.

I just listened all fourt Pain´s track which they have on their myspace profile. Sounds like PSA1 recorded direct (and without impulses!) to me... Very industrial sounding...

I never managed to get a really satisfying tone out of an ampsim. Well with the exception of RevalverMkIII maybe...