Blending Digital and Non Digital Amps

DaveBlack

Apr 7, 2009
At the studio I have the luxury of blending multiple amps (we have a JCM900, 5150, orange thunderverb, dual rec just to name a few). This guitar player I work with loves his line 6 but I fear it may sound a little too digital. There are some aspects of digital that I like and of course anything non digital would sound more natural.

So do you think blending the two would yield some good results? Has anyone ever tried this? Your input is greatly appreciated in advance.

shure you can. Check out the band BURY US ALL on my myspace (check my signature)

I recorded one take pod XT and one take engl thunder for each guitar player.
It CAN sound great but I would prefer using the great amps you have...

cheers

shure you can. Check out the band BURY US ALL on my myspace (check my signature)

I recorded one take pod XT and one take engl thunder for each guitar player.
It CAN sound great but I would prefer using the great amps you have...

cheers

I kinda dig that sound you got there. Not EQ'd they way I'd like but it's better than anything I've achieved yet.

Yeah it is also not the sound realy like, but one of the guitars of the band made this sound and it worked for this style of music. Band was very happy;)
the clip of badge of apathy - is 4 takes of two different Engl thunders (one old pimped up and one new)
The clip of Aias Burden is just 4 takes of the new Engl thunder.

Try panning like this:
Gtr 1 100% L
Gtr 1 (double) 75% R
Gtr 2 100% R
Gtr 2 (double) 75% L

I used the Thunder for the main takes and the pod xt for the doubles...
Dont use to much gain, just enough...
Use a lot of mids on the amps. It is much easier to lower them with an eq in the mix then to bring a too scooped guitar up...

hope this helps cheers