Blind Guardian, Atlanta (Dec 8th) Roll Call!

well it certainly wasn't sold out. decent show up though.

i dug the show, it's the only other big show imo, since Progpower anyway that I have seen down here in ATL...after living here for a year and a half now...

LEAVES' EYES RULED. Blind Guardian killed as always.

the ATL crowd for a show like this though...I have my complaints. Whatever, the bands made the night for me.

When I asked one of the bartenders why the balcony wasn't open, she said it was because of attendance, less than 500 tix sold, supposedly they have extra costs with opening the balcony, security etc., never heard that one before. Maybe they thought someone would've tried a stage dive from up there :headbang:
Didn't bother to tell her it was a Blind Guardian concert, not a death metal band.

Other than that, I have no ticket sales figures. BTW Theli stop thinking like a promoter ha ha

btw, did anyone get any info concerning the amount of people who showed for the concert? I am just curious. It would be interesting to know.

well it certainly wasn't sold out. decent show up though.

i dug the show, it's the only other big show imo, since Progpower anyway that I have seen down here in ATL...after living here for a year and a half now...
the ATL crowd for a show like this though...I have my complaints. Whatever, the bands made the night for me.

I hate to burst your bubble, but you need to lower your expectations for shows here in Atlanta. That was a good showing in terms of ticket sales for *any* show in terms of the metal scene not involving trendy names. There were 600 pre-sales and another 100+ at the door. That is the word directly from BG's tour manager after the show. That may not be NYC or Chicago, but when you compare it with New Orleans (which has 150 pre-sales), it's a great number. BG were very happy with the result as it was an above average stop on the tour and will make Atlanta a regular stop on their future tours.

When I asked one of the bartenders why the balcony wasn't open, she said it was because of attendance, less than 500 tix sold, supposedly they have extra costs with opening the balcony, security etc., never heard that one before. Maybe they thought someone would've tried a stage dive from up there :headbang:
Didn't bother to tell her it was a Blind Guardian concert, not a death metal band.

Other than that, I have no ticket sales figures. BTW Theli stop thinking like a promoter ha ha

They don't open the balcony unless there is about 700-800 presales. The extra costs is correct so they will keep that closed regardless of the numbers sold at the door. That's why the crowd went all the way back to the door behind the sound booth instead of being able to view from up top.

I hate to burst your bubble, but you need to lower your expectations for shows here in Atlanta. That was a good showing in terms of ticket sales for *any* show in terms of the metal scene not involving trendy names. There were 600 pre-sales and another 100+ at the door. That is the word directly from BG's tour manager after the show. That may not be NYC or Chicago, but when you compare it with New Orleans (which has 150 pre-sales), it's a great number. BG were very happy with the result as it was an above average stop on the tour and will make Atlanta a regular stop on their future tours as a result.

i wasn't speaking about expectations in terms of numbers. in fact i agree, it was a good, decent amount of ppl for a show in atl.

it's more the crowd vibe i was a little sour with. It was cool, don't get me wrong, but after a while I realized that I was the only one around me singing every word, fist and horns in the air for the parts that matter, that kind of thing. I could give a crap if the NYC scene is better. I don't live there anymore. But when Blind Guardian plays up there (at least when they did in 2002, not sure about recently)....you would have thought it was the last day on earth and all ppl had to survive was the music of Blind Guardian. Everyone singing the lyrics (to every song for that matter, not just Bard's Song), sweated up, out of breath and losing their voices.

this just wasn't that. But like I said it was a great gig.

Man our experiences at the show were completely different sinerchris. I will have a write up of my experiences for the charlotte and atlanta show up soon (after finals probably). It was such a great time, in some ways better than ProgPower, which I will explain in more detail when I write up the story. The only real complaint I had was the moshing, but everything else was great from where I was. I would prefer the PP venue though, it's like a second home to me.

I hate to burst your bubble, but you need to lower your expectations for shows here in Atlanta. That was a good showing in terms of ticket sales for *any* show in terms of the metal scene not involving trendy names. There were 600 pre-sales and another 100+ at the door. That is the word directly from BG's tour manager after the show. That may not be NYC or Chicago, but when you compare it with New Orleans (which has 150 pre-sales), it's a great number. BG were very happy with the result as it was an above average stop on the tour and will make Atlanta a regular stop on their future tours.

did you hear anything about the Orlando show? I was curious about the attendance there...
The crowd was pretty decent.. The Floor was packed and there were some people on the Balcony of the HoB.

I actually thought it was a great showing of people there! As far as crowd energy is concerned, from the back I thought it was rockin'! FatesFan and I hung around the soundboard, so we could see the entire crowd. With that said, I thought everyone was kickin' ass! :kickass:

I also enjoyed seeing Glenn act like a fan instead of a promoter! :headbang: Of course, now that I think about it, he staged dived and sang background with Thunderstone at the last festival! LOL

I thought it was a good size crowd as well. For Atlanta and a real Metal Band playing and it being the coldest day of the year, getting 750 people there is awesome. I am also originally from NYC , its never fair to compare the two cities in terms of Metal attendance. For Atl standards very good numbers I think.

Man our experiences at the show were completely different sinerchris. I will have a write up of my experiences for the charlotte and atlanta show up soon (after finals probably). It was such a great time, in some ways better than ProgPower, which I will explain in more detail when I write up the story. The only real complaint I had was the moshing, but everything else was great from where I was. I would prefer the PP venue though, it's like a second home to me.

Agreed.... And as for the crowd near me (stage-center, one row back from the barricade), I couldn't have asked for a more "into it" crowd....the guy next to me from Chattanooga pretty much knew every word of every song, including the new ones, and everyone else seemed to be singing pretty lustily most of the time. :headbang:

Glenn, Adam Cohen booked the show and was expecting about 600 total, so if it pulled 700 or more, that's Good News, too. (Info from Tim, natch.)