Blind Guardian Help

It's ironic that you'd bring up the worst album they've ever released in a suggestion after putting down ANATO.

I will give you though, Altair 4 > And Then There Was Silence

There's so many good songs on that album and you like the 2m filler track? :err:

ATITM does continue this sound but kind of loses the Phil Spector "Wall of Sound" vibe

Ah, now this is interesting, because I don't hear this difference. Initially, I *thought* this difference might exist, but when I now flip between tracks from each album, I can't distinguish them based on their layering/sound.

So I wonder if it just had something to do with the marketing? I remember before ANATO was released, there was all kinds of talk like "It's the biggest thing we've ever done, we're mixing 492 recorded tracks together, and now the album is delayed again, because we're adding even MORE tracks, and it's layers and layers and layers, and there's a big huge long 14 minute EPIC song too, so it'll be the hugest thing ever!!!1!" I don't really recall hearing any of that hype before ATITM, so maybe that just changed expectations? (or maybe they did say the same stuff, and I just wasn't paying attention this time)

Another possibility is that we became accustomed to the ANATO sound after listening to it for years. So by the time ATITM came along, even though it was the same thing, it wasn't as "noticeable" in our minds anymore. Honestly, it took me a good long time to get into ANATO, I think partially because I had to understand the sound first. Now with that understanding, ATITM came a lot faster. I guess the way to test this one is to introduce a newbie to both of them at the same time, and see which one sounds "bigger" to him. kashford? :)

Or, maybe I just need to do the comparison on a proper stereo, and not my mini-system in the office!

Neil

Start off with A Twist in the Myth and work your way back chronologically. Nightfall in Middle-Earth -> Imaginations from the Other Side -> Somewhere Far Beyond -> Tales from the Twilight World -> Follow the Blind -> Battalions of Fear.

For some reason people think "suggest an album that sounds like xxx" means "suggest your favorite album".

How is it that in 16 responses, Sumeet is the only one to mention 'A Twist In The Myth'? How is that not the obvious answer to the question "Does Blind Guardian have any other albums like this one?" Instead, he gets a whole pile of misinformation!

Do people hear differences between those two albums that I can't detect? If someone was to pick a random track off ANATO and put it on ATITM (or vice-versa), I wouldn't notice at all, since it would fit in perfectly. This would clearly not be the case if someone was to put a track from 'Imaginations...' on 'A Twist...', or from 'Tales...' on 'Imaginations...'.

So yeah, if you like ANATO but don't recall liking BG you've heard before, the clear path would be to try 'A Twist...', and then, go back to 'Nightfall...' and work your way backwards from there, until you ran into something you didn't like. They're a constantly evolving band, but it's all been pretty linear.

Neil

Start off with A Twist in the Myth and work your way back chronologically. Nightfall in Middle-Earth -> Imaginations from the Other Side -> Somewhere Far Beyond -> Tales from the Twilight World -> Follow the Blind -> Battalions of Fear.

For some reason people think "suggest an album that sounds like xxx" means "suggest your favorite album".

Thanks for the info guys. I'll probably be planning a trip to Biff's place to drink and listen to some of these albums!

I see you are new here :p

Meh, been around since 2005 as I was planning on going to that PP but plans changed and I sort of forgot about the site until about 6 months ago.

I just don't get as involved as the regulars though.

After hearing a heaping helping of derision for A Twist In The Myth, when I finally got it, I was pleasantly surprised. Not my favorite, but I didn't hate it.

Dead Sound Of Misery is just about my favorite song from BG.... on any album.

It's impossible for Blind Guardian to make a bad album. They are to music what Chuck Norris is to the laws of nature.

This man speaks the truth.

I'm not so keen on some of the really early stuff but I've loved the last 6 or so albums. Not saying the early stuff is horrible. It's just very different from the stuff from them I love before they really defined their sound.
They need to come back to the US soon. Bring a better opener this time though.