blind guardian vs rhapsody

Jean-Pierre said:
He's a classically trained singer, and he's quite good in that context. He's actually a pretty good vocalist in general, but the music is piss.
Granted, he's got great range and good purity. He just takes the "vibrato" (I'm not sure if it's called that with vocals) a little too far at times.

Jean-Pierre said:
I don't see why you find Hansi Kursch so intolerable when you're a Nevermore fan...Warell Dane bellows and warbles in an off-key frenzy (his Sanctuary days excluded).

The idea of having Hansi Kursch singing in an emotional style gives me jitters. Warrel Dane handles them much better, while Hansi has the most irritating tone I've heard in a PM singer. And not only that, they layer his vocals about a million times.

Poison God Machine said:
The idea of having Hansi Kursch singing in an emotional style gives me jitters. Warrel Dane handles them much better, while Hansi has the most irritating tone I've heard in a PM singer. And not only that, they layer his vocals about a million times.

Someone needs to read the credits a little closer.

Poison God Machine said:

Hansi Kursch is a great vocalist and he can play with his tone so easily. Rhapsody is fine but Hansi's vocals are aggressive in a way. Early BG were more of a speed metal band than a power metal and that's why his vocals aren't like any other band. IMO, he is great and gives an aggressive atmosphere to the music.

I like both bands but I will say that Blind Guardian is the better of the two bands and that Rhapsody is the cheesiest of the two bands. Jean is right, Blind Guardian's first 5 albums are just amazing. Somewhere Far Beyond is in my top 10 ever. Rhapsody has their moments. I really dig Dawn of Victory by them.

In response to speculation above, I too find Hansi to be pretty annoying on stuff like A Night At The Opera. He's not exactly a very good singer, he just has a really unique voice that sounds fucking awesome when he's being really aggressive.

The Grimace said:
Well, yeah, he is exactly a very good singer. For a low-mid tenor, maybe even a baritone, his range is fantastic. Just cause he doesn't sing male soprano with his balls in a vice doesn't mean shit.

He's done a lot of practice and coaching lessons before and after that Nightfall album, but he really isn't a good singer in a technical sense. He goes flat more often than not, amongst other things. But we listen to Metal, not Pavoratti. Hansi Kursch's voice has always been an awesome compliment to BG's unique version of the German Power Metal sound.

EDIT: Does anyone else here like "Follow The Blind?" That's their second and most overlooked album, it's quickly become my favourite. "Banished From Sanctuary" is a damn classic, and "Damned For All Time" might be the heaviest song they've ever done.