Blink Of And Eye Guitar

Frank

Electric Monk
Jan 24, 2003
Painesville, Ohio
Visit site
I think it's been touched on, but isn't the guitar on Blink Of An Eye just wicked?

To me, when compared to J9D10 or Break the guitar playing seems to have been stepped up a notch or two.

This album has lighting fast riffs that don't lose the emotion.

When I first listened to the CD, Under Fire blew me away when the song ended abruptly with the guitar wailing away. Then when Monday started off, it got better.

But I'm telling you, when the solo started at 3:55 on Seeds Of Hate I stopped what I was doing and closed my eyes.

I can't play a lick, but I love listening to the guitar very much. It is very refreshing to listen to such emotional playing as exists on Blink Of An Eye.

I've listened to this CD at work at least once a day for the last 3 weeks and every time I get to 3:55 in Seeds Of Hate, I have to stop what I'm doing, close my eyes and just absorb it.

Doug, if you're reading this, was the solo recorded in one take? I'm just curious if it was done with as much emotion as what comes across when I listen to it. Maybe I'm glamourizing it, but I just get the impression that it had to be an intense recording session for that one.

I wish I could see it played live.

Very well done.

- Frank

I agree. Doug Ott has definately taken his guitar playing to the next level on "Blink of an Eye"! I was floored by his searing leads and heavy, technical riffs! I love how guitar-oriented BOAE is! It's so punchy!

I think Doug goes absolutely berserk in the Seeds of Hate solo and it is definitely one of my favourite Doug-soli.
Everytime I listen to this solo I wonder how he finds the way back out of this labyrinth of crazy licks and manages to return safely to the bridge. I am not worthy! :worship:

Guido