Bloodbath Hype = Fucking Irritating

Bloodbath was never marketed as somehting new or original, and it sure as hell is neither of those. It's just some well-known musicians giving their take on classic Swedish Death Metal. And they can't really go wrong, because, well, who doesn't love a good dose of Death Metal once in awhile: the members making it are just an added bonus. And to say that Century Media would never touch music like that is an abusrd statement, look at some of the bands on their roster: Unleashed, Naglfar, Krisiun, GRAVE, Cryptopsy, Old Man's Child, Borknagar, etc.

Originally posted by saturnix

i'm sorry, i didn't realise it was a bad thing to associate talent with certain talented musicians. :rolleyes:

Are you illiterate, or just deliberately obtuse? The point is that talented musicians do not guarantee good music, and praising a MEDIOCRE RECORD because of the past accomplishments of the band's constituent parts is moronic.

your opinion happens to be that the album is bad. hence, any conclusions you draw from this are limited in scope only to the consequence of that opinion.

Whereas your positive opinion is somehow less limited in scope? Give me a break, kid.

By the way, if you'd bothered to actually READ what I written you'd note that I never once said that the album is bad. It's certainly no stroke of genius, but mediocrity isn't synonymous with "bad." It's a paint by the numbers Swedish death metal album, well executed, but utterly devoid of innovation or unique character. It's not bad, just generic.

you are trying to pass your opinion of bloodbath off as a statement of fact

I'm sorry, I assumed that most folks were intelligent enough to distinguish between opinion and fact without my needing to provide a caveat for them. I'm sorry if such subtle distinctions are beyond your capability, but that's not really my problem, is it?

from which you derived your diatribe about big name musicians and corporate whoring.

Actually, my estimations of the band's collective talent and even the quality of the record itself didn't enter into the equation. I simply looked at the facts.

1. Century Media has released FOUR traditional, early 90's style death metal albums in the last five years. Two of those releases were by the two biggest sellers from CM's early 90's catalog (Grave and Unleashed), and the other two were by Bloodbath. There are many bands playing this style of music, yet none of the others are on Century Media (or any other label of comparable size). The ONLY substantive difference between the bands that didn't get a shot and Bloodbath is that the other bands didn't feature members of Opeth, Katatonia and Edge of Sanity.

2. There have been many releases in similar style, yet none received anything like the kind of media attention and publicity that accompanied the Bloodbath releases. The ONLY substantive difference between the bands who got no media attention and Bloodbath is that the other bands didn't feature members of Opeth, Katatonia and Edge of Sanity.

You do the math.

the fact of the matter is, no one really cares what your opinion is but you. and thus, no one really cares about your opinionated, biased, and arrogant diatribe, either.

You've spent a fair amount of effort attacking my opinions for someone who "doesn't care." :rolleyes:

I must say... I agree with Cryonaut's argument... and this concept can be applied to a multitude of mundane side-projects featuring all-star lineups. These labels waste resources on side-projects and solo albums instead of nurturing real bands with innovative ideas.

Originally posted by ffanatic
And to say that Century Media would never touch music like that is an abusrd statement, look at some of the bands on their roster: Unleashed, Naglfar, Krisiun, GRAVE, Cryptopsy, Old Man's Child, Borknagar, etc.

Nevermind that Grave and Unleashed are the only old school death metal bands (and Cryptopsy and Krisiun the only other death metal bands period) on the roster. The rest of the acts you listed sound NOTHING like Bloodbath (to the point that they aren't even from the same subgenre).

Originally posted by Cryonaut X
Are you illiterate, or just deliberately obtuse? The point is that talented musicians do not guarantee good music, and praising a MEDIOCRE RECORD because of the past accomplishments of the band's constituent parts is moronic.

the point being that some people here seeing the new bloodbath as a talented output by talented musicians. we're not talking about probabilities or predicates here; we're talking about preferences.

Whereas your positive opinion is somehow less limited in scope? Give me a break, kid.

nice try. i'm not trying to push my opinion; merely to invalidate your baseless presumptions.

By the way, if you'd bothered to actually READ what I written you'd note that I never once said that the album is bad. It's certainly no stroke of genius, but mediocrity isn't synonymous with "bad." It's a paint by the numbers Swedish death metal album, well executed, but utterly devoid of innovation or unique character. It's not bad, just generic.

fine. take my previous post and replace every instance of the word "bad" or its synonyms with "mediocre". the point still stands.

I'm sorry, I assumed that most folks were intelligent enough to distinguish between opinion and fact without my needing to provide a caveat for them. I'm sorry if such subtle distinctions are beyond your capability, but that's not really my problem, is it?

who exactly are you arguing against, guy? sure, the majority of people who stumble across this page will be able to see your opinion for just that. that's not under debate. what is under debate is how you put forth that opinion (ie. as though it were fact).

Actually, my estimations of the band's collective talent and even the quality of the record itself didn't enter into the equation. I simply looked at the facts.

You do the math.

i happen to like the new bloodbath album. that, in my opinion, is why bloodbath got a record deal (of course fame has something to do with it, but not solely). that happens to be my opinion. the only way their record deal is based completely on star power is if one were to subscribe to your theory (ie, that the band is mediocre)

You've spent a fair amount of effort attacking my opinions for someone who "doesn't care." :rolleyes:

hardy har har. aren't you the witty one.

Originally posted by Oyo
It's not like they made it to sell. They were just fucking around and considered it a joke band. The record company heard about it and asked if they could sell it.

Exacly, and an important point to be made. The members have even said they are simply ripping off Entombed et al. In JimLotFP’s recent interview Dan commented that during a series of Bloodbath interviews one interviewer had not even heard of him nor listened to the album, “To her I was the drummer of Bloodbath…I’m not!” :lol:

Originally posted by Oyo
It's not like they made it to sell. They were just fucking around and considered it a joke band. The record company heard about it and asked if they could sell it.

You could say it was a joke on the EP.

When they do the same joke AGAIN for an album... come on, man... $$$ and nothing else.

1. Century Media has released FOUR traditional, early 90's style death metal albums in the last five years.

Considering that it was not the early 90s in any of these past five years, the number of traditional, early 90s style death metal albums released should have been ZERO. Just saying is all.

:p

Originally posted by Jim LotFP
Considering that it was not the early 90s in any of these past five years, the number of traditional, early 90s style death metal albums released should have been ZERO. Just saying is all.

:p

Plenty of labels are still releasing albums in the style, and Century Media is certainly not above it...when they think it's an easy cash grab. The point is that they're not looking to sign bands in this style, and there're no way in hell that the penny sniffers who run CM (or any of the other metal majors) would sign a band like Bloodbath if they didn't have the instantly marketable pedigree.

When they do the same joke AGAIN for an album... come on, man... $$$ and nothing else.

Exactly what I was gonna say. The EP was just a quick recording while they were drunk. It got signed, and they said they would never do it again.

I guess the guys finally gave in to Century Media's begging and cash-flashing.

Good point, it's always been about the money with those four. ;)

I find it funny that Mike's never too slow to mention that the vocals are his only input to Bloodbath. :lol:

Yeah, well I agree with aspects of both Saturnix and Cryonaut. I see the album as 'above-par', but not amazing. Certainly not mediocre though. Its OF COURSE gotten more recognition because of the people involved, but that can't be helped. They were aiming for a 'tribute to old-school death', that's what they made. The fact they did it twice, just means, to me, that we get more music...and thats good.

...and Cryonaut you are trying to pass off your opinion as fact, come down to earth a bit.

I would have to essentially agree with what Cryonaut is saying....Bloodbath probably wouldn't be getting the attention they are getting if it wasn't for the members....if unknown band released an album with the exact same material, 1) they probably wouldn't get signed to a major label and 2) if they did get signed people would call them rip-offs as opposed to being a 'tribute' to old school Swedish DM. I liked 'Breeding Death' for what it was...a tribute and that's it....they should have stopped there... 'Resurrection through Carnage' in my opinion is a mediocre album...If I want to listen to DM like that...I'll put on something that actually has some punch and really evokes the spirit of true Swedish DM like ENTOMBED's 'Clandestine' or GRAVE's 'You'll Never See'.