Bloodbath (The Fathomless mastery) guitar tone Revalver MKIII

hkollner

Oct 5, 2008
Hey all metal addicts! I've been playing around with revalver mkIII and very closely nailed the bloodbath "fathomless Mastery" tone!

They play it in A standard and the one I recorded was in drop B so there is going to be a difference in balls! haha

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=7430155&q=hi

compare it to the song "Devouring the feeble"

Any comment on improvements are always welcome!:kickass:

Here's the updated one! i think it sounds closer!
http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=7431122&q=hi

Improved one

Well, to be entirely honest with you, it barely approximates the 'Fathomless Mystery' rhythm tone from what I can hear on my M50s. The actual record has quite a fuller sound around the 1k region, more gain (or different perceptible gain response to playing... differently behaving gain stages). The album tone itself seems voiced differently, more prominently in that flat '2d' mid region. There's not so much of that death metal scoop as in your clip. Apart from that, the basic character of the tone seems different to me, and isn't something an inflexible tool like EQ can correct.

Other than that, friggin awesome choice of song. That intro riff always gives me a hard-on.

Well, to be entirely honest with you, it barely approximates the 'Fathomless Mystery' rhythm tone from what I can hear on my M50s. The actual record has quite a fuller sound around the 1k region, more gain (or different perceptible gain response to playing... differently behaving gain stages). The album tone itself seems voiced differently, more prominently in that flat '2d' mid region. There's not so much of that death metal scoop as in your clip. Apart from that, the basic character of the tone seems different to me, and isn't something an inflexible tool like EQ can correct.

Other than that, friggin awesome choice of song. That intro riff always gives me a hard-on.

I'll try to boost the lower mids and see how it turns out! I will also play around a little more with the tone! and I also realised that their tone has got a lot more gain! but remember their guitars are tuned alot lower!

other than that what do you think of this guitar tone when not compared to bloodbath?:cool:

And YES that intro riff is definitely a metal boner!!!!!!!! 8===3

I get the impression that a unit like the AXE-FX can get that sort of tone easier than Revalver. I've always associated the AXE-FX with those really flat mids, and the Bloodbath album has them in spades. Revalver always seems to sound hollow, yet at the same time muddy (to me anyway).

I can't really imagine how you'd approximate that tone using what you have, but my goal would be to boost 'core' mids (1k and thereabouts.. the ones that sound 2d and flat) and cut a little of the lower mid (the boxy region like 500hz). Other than that, I think a really surgical tool like Curve EQ would need to be employed to start matching some of the more intricate characteristics of the tone. I just don't think Revalver has mids with that sort of richness in it, as part of its algorithms, so it's not something you're doing wrong, it's just that the odds are stacked against you from the outset.

I fucking love that album and tone, and personally I can hear the similarity in character between it and yours! That said, I agree with Ermz about it needing a bit of a cut at around 400-500, and a bit more 1k (though not much, Revalver has plenty already). Also, it's clipping like mad, which makes me a sad panda :erk: Good job dude!

I fucking love that album and tone, and personally I can hear the similarity in character between it and yours! That said, I agree with Ermz about it needing a bit of a cut at around 400-500, and a bit more 1k (though not much, Revalver has plenty already). Also, it's clipping like mad, which makes me a sad panda :erk: Good job dude!

I'll go tweak some more until I reach that exact tone aaarrrrggggghhhhhh hahaha! dude that tone is one of my favourites next to testaments "The Gathering":headbang:

Well the funny thing about that tone is that I love it when everything is in together, but when just one guitar is playing (e.g. the beginning of "Treasonous") it sounds pretty nasty and messy to me; I'm assuming there's a shit ton of layering going on, and when everything drops out they ditch most of the layers too :erk: Good luck though man!

Well the funny thing about that tone is that I love it when everything is in together, but when just one guitar is playing (e.g. the beginning of "Treasonous") it sounds pretty nasty and messy to me; I'm assuming there's a shit ton of layering going on, and when everything drops out they ditch most of the layers too :erk: Good luck though man!

Yeah i've noticed that too! but mine is only single tracked 100% panned! do you think i must layer this with a duller setting with less highend and more lower mids panned 80%?

Oog, your starting to get into uncharted territory with me now; I've always been a two track (one L, one R) kinda guy, so layering isn't exactly my forte! However, if I were to suggest anything, it'd probably be that! (less high end and more core mids, the lower mids are considered 300-500, which I DEFINITELY don't think it needs any more of)

Oog, your starting to get into uncharted territory with me now; I've always been a two track (one L, one R) kinda guy, so layering isn't exactly my forte! However, if I were to suggest anything, it'd probably be that! (less high end and more core mids, the lower mids are considered 300-500, which I DEFINITELY don't think it needs any more of)

what are the core mids?:zombie:

Still single tracked! but i played around with the high end and core mids! what do you think?

I get the impression that a unit like the AXE-FX can get that sort of tone easier than Revalver. I've always associated the AXE-FX with those really flat mids, and the Bloodbath album has them in spades. Revalver always seems to sound hollow, yet at the same time muddy (to me anyway).

I can't really imagine how you'd approximate that tone using what you have, but my goal would be to boost 'core' mids (1k and thereabouts.. the ones that sound 2d and flat) and cut a little of the lower mid (the boxy region like 500hz). Other than that, I think a really surgical tool like Curve EQ would need to be employed to start matching some of the more intricate characteristics of the tone. I just don't think Revalver has mids with that sort of richness in it, as part of its algorithms, so it's not something you're doing wrong, it's just that the odds are stacked against you from the outset.

I've used curve eq but im not sure what to do with the functions! so i just played around with the basic eq function! what do you think?

Ooooh, definitey too much 1k now; how much did you boost? Cuz somewhere in between the first one and this would be good I'd say!

Haha, I hate to say it dude, but as much as sounds good :D Nah, from the first clip, assuming you weren't cutting at 1k at all, I'd say boosting like 4 dB would have you set (but don't hold me to it! ;))

Sounds pretty damn good to me! The bass definitely feels too loud though (and actually the guitars too, compared with the drums)

Sounds pretty damn good to me! The bass definitely feels too loud though (and actually the guitars too, compared with the drums)

yeah the drums is a bit burried in the mix! one more question! how do they get their bass too have that ringy type of sound? dude their bass sound is awesomness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think that 60% of that great guitar sound comes from the bass guitar!