BM/dark hardcore/punk mix (releasing full-length soon)

ulverine

Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, TX
www.facebook.com
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1261919/Cara Neir - Amaranthine Figures.mp3

I posted an instrumental mix of this song last year, but have finally gotten around to getting my vocalist to track his vocals for it along with the rest of our album. Would like to hear some feedback on this before I upload it in place of an earlier version on our bandcamp.

I know it's not very typical of what's posted on this forum, but I'm sure there will be some people who'll appreciate it. It's not intended to be very polished or clear like most mixes posted here, but I tried to balance the frequency spectrum as best as I could with the monitoring situation I have, or lack thereof: AKG K240 headphones, dell hk395 speakers/sub, car stereo.

Vocals were tracked with 4 mics:
SM58 handheld (most prominent in the mix)
Little Blondie mic a few inches in front (hardly got used in the mix)
Little Blondie 4 feet behind him as a room mic
Karma bullet mic out in my hallway pointed into a bathroom

And this is where I had issues. I'm much more partial to his vocal style in the second half where it's almost all screams (which is where I've raised the aforementioned room mics in the mix), but his "up-front" vocal style gave me trouble, constantly remixing them to sound intelligible but not too much, afraid that it would be too contrasting to the screams later on. So there's quite a bit of automation with eq, faders, and room mics. Perhaps I'm worrying about it too much.

Anyway, I'll give more details if anyone asks. Thanks!

Contemplating on running the rhythm guitars into a clean/slight crunch amp sim for more high-mid articulation in parallel (at like half the volume) with what's already there. Not really sure if that will work for added clarity, and if that's even such a good idea.