Bonus tracks

Symphony

PQ member
Jan 8, 2002
Southampton, UK
www.power-quest.co.uk
We are currently discussing bonus tracks for the new album and we've been thinking along these lines

1. Re-recording a PQ song from the early days

2. A classic rock/metal cover

3. An 80's pop style cover

4. Something more contemporary

What do you guys think? I know we've discussed the re-recording idea in another thread but as we are planning 2 bonus tracks I thought it would be interesting to see what you guys think, or might prefer

:headbang:

With 80's covers I always feel that either the cover is either boring when the band stays too close to the original, or extremely well done when the band gives their own twist to it. I can enjoy a good 80's cover, but it'd have to be something special. For example, I love pretty much anything that Ten Masked Men do :p Their covers of Dead or Alive's "You Spin Me Round" or their cover of Survivor's "eye of the tiger" are just too brutal to be true :D

Could it be an idea to turn the tables on the hiphop scene and instead of them taking a song from the 70s and 80s and ruining it, take an oldschool hiphop song and make a metal version out of it? :D

I'd love to hear a metal version of De La Soul's "Me, Myself and I" or Run DMC's "Sucker MCs" :p

I don't know if I'd have any support on this, but I'd love to hear a cover of one of your favorite more-contemporary power/prog songs. I know I spotted Avantasia and Sonata Arctica shirts in the Far Away, er, "music video" :)lol:), and after a thrash cover on the last album, might be a change... well, I just love hearing different versions of my own favorite songs!

So, I dunno, tackling a melodic metal classic would get my vote. Would stand out a bit, too, and especially if it's not a band that's covered all the freaking time, that band's fans might take notice and check you guys out.

My personal opinion is that I'd love to hear a rerecording of an old Power Quest song. Anything from Magic Never Dies would be awesome; I'd love to hear how anything on there sounds with the new crew. Also, a cover of a more recent power metal band's song would be interesting. I'd love to hear a Power Quest take on some Ecliptica-Winterheart's Guild era Sonata Arctica, or an Avantasia song from the Metal Operas, or even a Rhapsody cover (of anything by them - anything by the symphonic gods is fine with me :lol: ).

Basically I'm with RedFox. But really, in the end, I bet I'll love whatever it is you end up doing for the bonus tracks, Steve!

We are currently discussing bonus tracks for the new album and we've been thinking along these lines

1. Re-recording a PQ song from the early days

2. A classic rock/metal cover

3. An 80's pop style cover

4. Something more contemporary

What do you guys think? I know we've discussed the re-recording idea in another thread but as we are planning 2 bonus tracks I thought it would be interesting to see what you guys think, or might prefer

:headbang:

1. Initially my instinct is to go "Z0MG!1 NO LEAVE TEH CLASSICS ALONE YOU'LL RUIN THEM FOREVER!!!" But I think something off WoF with improved production quality would be quite nice. I think I'd previously voted for "WoF"

2. Hell yes. There's a tendency for power metal covers to be obscure on the whole, announcing that they're going to cover Maiden or something only for it to be a lesser known track deflating the hopes of some. Given that, I'd be all for this so long as perhaps people actually known the chosen band and song well.

3. Anything Abba-as-done-by-Avantasia-esque is strongly encouraged! :headbang:

4. Would depend on what but I think you'd please more fans with 1, 2 or 3. Or all of them preferably :D

second%20scruffy%202.jpg

I retract my previous statements and third the Tragedy Suite.

I think a classic rock/metal cover. Not only is it great to hear a band's take on someone else's works, but it's a great way to get yourself noticed! I actually got into Sonata Arctica because of their Die With your Boots On cover!

My personal opinion is that I'd love to hear a rerecording of an old Power Quest song. Anything from Magic Never Dies would be awesome; I'd love to hear how anything on there sounds with the new crew.

I'm with 1928 on this.

But if you decide to go for a classic rock, I'd love to see what you could do with Pink Floyd's 'Learning to Fly' (a metal version in you–know-whom’s voice would be amazing)

No hiphop please!!! I dislike it so much that I can't even think of it!!:ill:

I'd like to hear a classic rock/metal cover. I think any old metal song would sound so amazing and updated with your amazing keyboard work. I think a simple classic song with plenty of room for a PQ overhaul. How about something by Kiss, like say... Strutter? Or maybe Motley Crue's Wild Side? Or even Guns 'N Roses Sweet Child 'O Mine? Something everyone would know, but hasn't been done over and over.

But if it had to be a remake of an older PQ song, I'd like to hear the new vocalist's rendition of Edge of Time.

thanks very much for the feedback guys....very enlightening and some very cool ideas too. We are gonna make a decision on this at the end of the month when we meet up again to crack the last 2 tracks for the album proper.

thank you Steve for asking and taking our opinion into consideration
in my experience, having the leader of a band coming to talk and listen to the fans like this is something completely unusual :kickass:

it really makes you feel like part of the 'PQ family' somehow :headbang: XX