Books

Started Lolita. Pretty fucked up, I like it.

Hey am I the only one who reads like the first 4 pages of those lengthy introductions, falls asleep, and then skips to the actual book after the slumber? Those things always seem geared toward people who have already read the book in question and/or don't care about having half the plot ruined before even reading the opening line. Lame.

Oh no no no! I actually had to light up a smoke after that paragraph, 'kin brilliant. :loco:

No I mean the lengthy introductions by the translator/commentator/somedude/etc. My version of Lolita has like a 50 page introduction by some dude who knew Nabokov. There can be some interesting information but usually crap like that just bores me, and this one was no different.

Just started BIG SUR by Kerouac. Tis great, other than the fact that he snubs STEPPENWOLF early on...

gam918959.jpg

(along with the usual assload of comic books)

Conspicuously Absent said:
that looks awesome tully.
haha that could either be so cool or so dumb

about halfway through 100 years of solitude right now...it's pretty impressive, way too many names though, dozens of people with the same/same sounding name

The Age of Innoncence by Wharton .

How can I like to read when I'm forced to go through this kind of literature? [/lame]

Necromunchkin said:
You should read The Clouds, too. Who did the translation on your version?

It's the new Loeb Classics translation (published in 2000) translated by Jeffrey Henderson.

There are nice little footnotes explaining all the plays on words as well.

Certainly I'm going to read some more. I was under the impression that Aristophanes was just boring political satire, but then I found out that it's political satire rife with dick and fuck jokes!