Books

MajestikMøøse said:
I've been trying to read Walden lately, but I've had trouble getting passed that damn "Economy" section.

Yeah, that section is annoying. Sucks when the first chapter is the longest and most boring. It gets better, though. Just ignore his wandering.

0140264310.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The Rebel Angels by Robertson Davies

Just started reading this for my english class. I dunno, just suddenly struck me as interesting because the story has two narrators which talk in the first person, and each chapter has two accounts of what is going on... almost like two books inside one, but both accounts are necessary for following the overall story, if that made any sense. Looks good so far. I'll probably follow up later because it looks like I'm going to enjoy this book.

Also, I started and finished Guido Von List's The Invincible between classes today. A sort of short catechism for Germanic philosophy.

Right now I'm re-reading Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. I have to write a banal english essay outlining three themes in any novel of my choosing, so I'm thinking that it would be best to (a) choose a book that I am already familiar with in the first place, and (b) a book that I love.

Plus there is innumerable opportunities for excellent quotes to work into an essay in it.

Oh yeah, not to mention that the book fucking ROCKS.

Brave New World is the only book I've ever bought the Cliff Notes for. What a homo.

Still reading Lovecraft. Shit rules.

MajestikMøøse said:
0140264310.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The Rebel Angels by Robertson Davies

Just started reading this for my english class. I dunno, just suddenly struck me as interesting because the story has two narrators which talk in the first person, and each chapter has two accounts of what is going on... almost like two books inside one, but both accounts are necessary for following the overall story, if that made any sense. Looks good so far. I'll probably follow up later because it looks like I'm going to enjoy this book.

This ended up being an interesting book. There's many references to esoteric subjects, and clearly my professor knows very little about them, so I think I'm going to go give him a few pointers :loco:

But the storyline was lame. Totally lame. Some of the philosophy and moralism was interesting, but the story. was. lame.

so therefore I recommend it as a good book that everyone should enjoy.

circus_brimstone said:
I must check out Brave New World. Dystopia, right? I really like Atwood's and Orwell's take on that kind o' thing.

yeah. Brave New World's take on dystopia is the epitome of scientific progress leads of the absolute genetic engineering of the human race. People are "decanted" in state operated hatcheries, rather than born, and people are promiscuity and drug use are mandatory staples of society to rid people of any real emotion, for the very basics. But then the plot takes off from the main characters who abstain from all this sex and drugs, because they feel out of place for whatever various reason, and etc. the plot goes. The blurb of the book itself will probably get you 100% more interested in it than my brief description of it ever will.

Over three hours of my six hours spent at school everyday have been turned into free time because my schedule sort of got fucked up. Since I would literally kill myself if I had to sit there all day, I have started reading like a mad fool. I'm currently re-visitng "Cosmos" by Sagan, and my UCONN English teacher gave me "Arthur Rex" by Thomas Berger. That one looks excellent. I'm going to cruise through this thread and see if there's something I like...

Finished that Lovecraft collection I've been reading for some months now, awesome shit. I really prefer his shorter stories to the long ones though, they keep the creepy factor much better.

NEED MORE.

Did any of you fuckers ever read HOUSE OF LEAVES?

Myself, I just re-re-re-re-re-read Rimbaud's "A Season in Hell". Why? It's only 40 pages and is damn amazing in it's wisdom, beauty and deep despair. Oh, and he says "my pals" a bunch in this one part...

No but I have it. Will read eventually, looks cool.

Read the first 80 pages of Pnin by Nabokov. Awesome shit.

B0002D6D9C.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Michel Faber - The Crimson Petal and the White.

A historical English novel written by a bloke that went to my High School. I was given this by my old English teacher to read, and have yet to finish. Seems good so far, telling the story of a prostitute in 18th Century London. Apparently it has a shite ending, though. Time will tell.

Finished Pnin last week but read the last 20 pages again last night because I finished said book after a night of heavy boozing. Very cool stuff.

Re-started Steppenwolf. What in holy fuck I didn't like about this book on my initial attempt a year ago, I just don't know. 23 pages in and I'm so captivated I had to... take a break and post this wtf.