Books

I always have Ulysses nearby as well, but I haven't actually opened it up to read in quite a while. It's the kind of book I always want to have on hand, because I know at some point I'll get into it and the addiction will hit. It's surely a "desert island book", if there was such a list (thread idea?).

I woke up at 4am this morning, out of nowhere, and I couldn't fall back asleep. It occurred to me I needed more Pynchon, so read some more, and satisfied I fell back asleep.

Well, I know that if I was sent to a desert island, I would take these 5 books:

Ulysses - James Joyce
Finnegans Wake - James Joyce
Gravity's Rainbow - Thomas Pynchon
The Recognitions - William Gaddis (cause it's long)
Complete Works - William Shakespeare

That would certainly keep me busy

qualityof-front.jpg

based on the life of julius ceasar (salad), starting from boyhood. it's a perfect time for dramatization due to the constant intrigue, treachery, and violence of the time.

Great fun the great events and breathtaking brutality of the times are brought lavishly to life. Russell Crowe and Sean Bean's agents are surely already jockeying for the wide-screen roles.
GUARDIAN

A brilliant story, I wish I'd written it. A novel of vivid characters, stunning action and unrelenting pace. It really is a terrific read.
BERNARD CORNWELL (perhaps my favorite novelist)

Stunning. It begins with hints of a mystery and continues as a galvanizing historical thriller. Words like brilliant, sumptuous and enchanting jostle to be used but scarcely convey the way Iggulden brings the tale to life, or the compelling depictions of battle, treachery and everyday detail in a precarious world vividly re-created exhilarating.
Los Angeles Times

The descriptions of combat in the circus, slaves in revolt, skirmishes in Greece, amputations and street fighting are all convincing.
TLS

in fact it was the blurb by cornwell on the first Iggulden book which grabbed me. I know writers are always massaging their peers with hyperbole but that was the hook.

If you haven't read Cornwell's Arthur or Quest for the Grail trilogies....then...well, you've just gotta. Cornwell is the only author where I have to immediately buy a new hardbound rather than wait for the library.

edit: I take that back. I bought the new RR Martin book the first day it was available.

all the library's near my house suck so I wait fo rthe softcover. I think i read his series on Arthur, but I don't know for sure, i'll be sure to look for those as well :D

I spend all my free time reading.

here's a ha ha exchange from the new cornwell:

Brida and some twenty other women rode with us. Brida was in leather armour and had a black cloak held at her neck with a fine brooch of silver and jet. Her hair was twisted high and held in place with a black ribbon, and at her side was a long sword. She had grown into an elegant woman who possessed an air of authority and that, I think, offended Father Beocca who had known her since she was a child. She had been raised a Christian, but had escaped the faith and Beocca was upset by that, though I think he found her beauty more disturbing. "She's a sorceress," Beocca hissed at me.

"If she's a sorceress," I said, "then she's a good person to have on your side." "God will punish us," he warned.

"This isn't your god's country," I told him. "This is Thor's land." He made the sign of the cross to protect himself from the evil of my words. "And what were you doing last night?" he asked indignantly. "How could you even think of being king here?'

"Easily," I said. "I am descended from kings. Unlike you, father. You're descended from swineherds, aren't you?"

He ignored that.

Conspicuously Absent said:
dude.... I wish I had more time to read. I used to read for a while befor ebed, but latley my eyes are exhausted by that time of day.
that's why you need to ignore all these other recommendations from these effete and impudent snobs and focus on MINE