Books

I'm reading a book on Metallica , Justice for all. It's quite good, but being a metal trivia buff I already knew most of the facts.

A while ago, after having devoted myself to swedish literature for some two years, I stared a new reading project, namely the great russians! So far I've read:

A collection of most excellent short stories by Tolstoy, namely: The Death of Ivan Ilych, Family Happiness and Master and Man. The Death of I.I was probably the best short story I've ever read
Two Dostoevsky, both quite good and very different: Notes from the Underground (Betraktelser från källarhålet) Demons (Onda andar)
A collection of Chekov's short stories, which came off as pretty pale compared to the two above mentioned masters.

Next in line is Anna Karenina, then I'll do some Gogol, then The Idiot and after that perhaps War and Peace, if I feel there's enought energy left hehe

Finishing up Fury by Rushdie...Need help on deciding which of his works to get next. For people "in the know", help a nikkuh out puhlease.....

a) The Moor's Last Sigh
b) Midnight's Children
c) Shalimar The Clown

HELP MUH!!!!!!!!

I just read Herman Hesse's Steppenwolf all in one session. It felt like a long nightmare and it reminded me of Thomas Mann's work Death in Venice and Tonio Kroeger.

I just read Herman Hesse's Steppenwolf

Hm, that's pretty impressing. Did you read it in german? Or has it got same title in the english translation? I actually did read it in german, and that took me... well, a helluva lot of sittings ;)

Btw, in case anyone missed it, Doris Lessing just got the Nobel prize in litterature. I haven't read anything of hers and I don't know if I'm too keen on it even now. Anyone here who's aquainted with her works?

Hm, that's pretty impressing. Did you read it in german? Or has it got same title in the english translation? I actually did read it in german, and that took me... well, a helluva lot of sittings ;)

Btw, in case anyone missed it, Doris Lessing just got the Nobel prize in litterature. I haven't read anything of hers and I don't know if I'm too keen on it even now. Anyone here who's aquainted with her works?

I got the English version. I zip through books often without taking the time when I should. Then I usually read it back again more slowly.

Just reread White line fever. It's friggin hilarious. Too bad I don't like the band nearly as much as I like Lemmy's biography.
Started on Neil Daniels book Defenders of the faith, and unauthorized biography on Priest. Should be a good read. I'm a bit disappointed though. The book is 300 pages but the last 80 pages are just a discography and a gig list.

Just read the original version of The Selfish Gene. Holy fuck, what an awesome book. Must read for anyone who loves science/evolution.

Finishing up Fury by Rushdie...Need help on deciding which of his works to get next. For people "in the know", help a nikkuh out puhlease.....

a) The Moor's Last Sigh
b) Midnight's Children
c) Shalimar The Clown

HELP MUH!!!!!!!!

Paging NADfro.
I didn't like The Moor's Last Sigh much, but was told by a fellow Rushdian friend how gay said opinion was. It's a weaving storyline to say the least, it just didn't smack me in the nuts like his other stuff has.

Midnight's Children is supposed to be one of his best, I have not read it yet.

Shalimar the Clown is absolutely stunning. I think I wrote something about it earlier in this thread, that one started slow and stayed that way for a little while, but once it really begins it does NOT let up. As good as Fury and The Satanic Verses. You've read that one, yes? If not, go to that one next. POST HASTE!

I just read Herman Hesse's Steppenwolf all in one session.
Freakin' amazing book. I've only read two Hesse novels (the other being Siddhartha), but he is poised to become one of my favourites some day.

Finished Anna Karenina a couple of days ago and it's obivously pretty damn mandatory reading (for anyone with a serious interest in litterature)

Right now I have some pages left in an Imre Kertecsz book ("Fiasko"?) that doesn't seem to exist in english translation, Amazon searches yielded nothing. Anyway he won the noble prize in 2002 (or smth like that) and all though his post-modern style of writing scared me off at first, I'm now actually enjoying it. Any fan of Kafka would probably like him

Finished Anna Karenina a couple of days ago and it's obivously pretty damn mandatory reading (for anyone with a serious interest in litterature)

You think so?

I have read War & Peace, and yes, it was an amazing read (although it did get a little long-winded at times but what Russian writer doesnt? lol) but always second guessed that one. Tolstoy does seem to have ulterior motives with his Christian message a lot too.

I didn't like The Moor's Last Sigh much, but was told by a fellow Rushdian friend how gay said opinion was. It's a weaving storyline to say the least, it just didn't smack me in the nuts like his other stuff has.

Midnight's Children is supposed to be one of his best, I have not read it yet.

Shalimar the Clown is absolutely stunning. I think I wrote something about it earlier in this thread, that one started slow and stayed that way for a little while, but once it really begins it does NOT let up. As good as Fury and The Satanic Verses. You've read that one, yes? If not, go to that one next. POST HASTE!

Freakin' amazing book. I've only read two Hesse novels (the other being Siddhartha), but he is poised to become one of my favourites some day.

Maybe I'll read that Siddhartha book. I remember he briefly talks about Eastern philosophy in Steppenwolf.

You think so?

I have read War & Peace, and yes, it was an amazing read (although it did get a little long-winded at times but what Russian writer doesnt? lol) but always second guessed that one. Tolstoy does seem to have ulterior motives with his Christian message a lot too.

I'm planing on reading War and Peace over the christmas break, so I obviously can't compare the two yet, but AK was amazingly good at times. Sure,. some of the characters in the book however weren't as interesting as others, but it never got boring.

I don't mind his views on religion and christianty; rather, judging by the litterary works of his (haven't read any of the overtly religous/political ones) that I've read, I would say that I concur :p
To me, most of the views on that matter that he propagates, seem to be sound and traditional ones, that most people wouldn't have any problems with... unless you're a rabid metal head that is :loco:

These are the books in which I plan on purchasing.

A Song of Ice and Fire - A Game of Thrones
Brave New World
Lion of Ireland
Arc Light
Notes From Underground

Perhaps a book on mutual funds to round it out.