Books

just finished brave new world. i can't believe i didn't read it before, wow. seriously i should crawl into a hole and die now that i know what i was missing those long 21 years without having read it.

Does anyone else here like other Robert Jordan stuff like the Wheel of Time series? The first 4 books are pretty kick ass, at least for un-literary types like myself.

Wheel of Time is the only fantasy I need nowadays (i.e. one every two years), and I'm impatiently awaiting the final book, which will be out sometime in 2009... :|
But apparently mr Jordan is pretty ill, so perhaps there wont be a last book after all these years. That would be really sad

For news, check out: http://www.dragonmount.com/RobertJordan/

@spaffe: You actually kept reading them? I found they became intolerable after about the 7th one. By that point it was so weak, formulaic, dragged out and uninspired.

Pale Fire is quite possibly the greatest book ever. That started me on a serious Nabokov kick that I am still very much entrenched within. Lolita, The Eye, Pnin, and Invitation to a Beheading were read since, and Look at All the Harlequins and Despair are sitting there awaiting my inevitable arrival.

I gave up Gravity's Rainbow for the time being. I finished the first section and enjoyed it, but was not enthralled. I'll probably pick it up later on, but for now I'm reading... nothing really. Most of my books are packed away for the next move anyhow, p'oh.

i read Fight Club and thought it was great (though of course i knew what would happen). i tried reading CHoke but couldnt get into it. what other book by palahniuk is really good?

anyone read bret easton ellis' "lunar park? i really enjoyed american psycho, rules of attraction and glamorama. the latest gay porcupine tree album is based on lunar park.

The best Palahniuk is "Invisible Monsters." I'm also a fan of Lullaby, just because it took a bit more speculative direction for his focus. His most fucked up work is Haunted. It's not as amusing as his other stuff, just entirely vicious, but blackly comic. I'd definitely recommend Invisible Monsters. Fucks with the whole perception of beauty culture.

ill check it out.i just didnt know where to go after fight club, though i saw his newest one in the store. forgot the name, but it takes place on a plane.

I still need to read CLive Barker's Galilee. and his next book, The Scarlet Gospels should rule: exploring the origins of Lead Cenobite (movie dorks and morons know him as Pinhead) and the Lemarchand Configuration (movie dorks and morons know it as "that rubics cube that unleashes pinhead). barker's also suppose to kill off the Lead Cenobite once and for all. two thirds of the book will take place in hell!

Ooh, I need to read that. Clive Barker has always been a fave.

Galilee was strange. Good, but it really addressed some strange things.

Hmm, I thought Chuck's latest book was Rant. Which is good, but it has some slower moments. I would say after Fight Club, the best direction is Invisible Monsters. The other option would be Survivor. For some reason I forget that one, but it is quite good.

Have any of you read Angela's Ashes? I've got a copy lying around I think I'm going to pick up and read through.

@spaffe: You actually kept reading them? I found they became intolerable after about the 7th one. By that point it was so weak, formulaic, dragged out and uninspired.

Haha, why of course. First I started reading them in swedish way back as a wee lad, but then I actually got tired of it. Then, some three years ago, I decided to give the series a second chance since I remembered liking it and wanted something easy to read on the side while studying. Hence, I started from book 1 and went all the way through, with some breaks of course... but still, I guess it's something like 8000 pages . Holy shit :lol:

I just finished HP Lovecraft - The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories, the Penguin Classics. Lovecraft is a fucking god! I'll be going onto The Dreams in the Witch House or The Thing on the Doorstep next. Both Penguin books.

EDIT: Actually I'll try and finish The Selfish Gene first... so much material in this book.

I just finished HP Lovecraft - The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories, the Penguin Classics. Lovecraft is a fucking god! I'll be going onto The Dreams in the Witch House or The Thing on the Doorstep next. Both Penguin books.

EDIT: Actually I'll try and finish The Selfish Gene first... so much material in this book.

if you dig on Lovecraft, you should look for a book called "The Town That Forgot How To Breathe" by something Harvey - it's a very gothic horror, and quite cool

:kickass:

Try Dreams in the Witch House after Selfish Gene. It kicks ass. Even the episode of Masters of Horror that featured Dreams in the Witch House was rather good.

You're thinking of In The Mouth of Madness, I assume. "Dreams in the Witch House" starred whoever that guy was who played the lead in Dagon.

Those collections are awesome, I've read the first two. At The Mountains of Madness really took me by surprise, even though it had everything I expected I was still quite drawn into it.

Rats in the Walls is my favourite Lovecraft. Gives me the creeps somethin' awesome.

Young Frankenstein? Scared the hell out of me!

Those collections are awesome, I've read the first two. At The Mountains of Madness really took me by surprise, even though it had everything I expected I was still quite drawn into it.

Rats in the Walls is my favourite Lovecraft. Gives me the creeps somethin' awesome.

Young Frankenstein? Scared the hell out of me!

Rats in the Walls is FUCKING awesome! my pals-Man for the fucking win!

Call of Cthulhu, The Shadow Over Innsmouth, The Colour Out of Spce, The Whisperer in Darknes, and Herbert West - Reanimator fucking ruled in this book. Lovecraft really knows how to go along the fine line of writing to create a tense atmosphere with rarely explaining what the monsters look like.