Books

Shit I've read since last yammering in dis her' threaduh:

From Hell by Alan Moore
Pretty god damn amazing, first I've read from him. Always liked the movie, didn't even know it was based on a graphic novel. This is like reading a Lovecraft future-prediction story, but one that nailed it right (having the foresight of writing in the 1980's would do that I suppose). Either way, Alan Moore really is the genius everyone else already knew him to be.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
I read this one too fast, so didn't absorb a whole lot of it. I'll have to go through it again rather soon, although not until the weather gets cooler because this heatwave shit is unbecoming of Hogwarts.

Togari, volume 1
Apparently volume 2 was out in Japan years ago but there is no English translation yet. I doubt I'll pick it up, thought this being my first manga I've ever read, I enjoyed it.

Y: The Last Man
Really good, although the humour takes away from the main story. Read the first two TPB of this, will get some more eventually. The concept isn't new (at one particular moment in time, all men, except one, suddenly die), but they way it is done is quite good.

30 Days of Night
Fucking stupid waste of money.

Black Metal
Entertaing fucking stupid waste of money.

Visions of Gerard by Kerouac
Quite depressing, but happy. Sort of. Gerard was quite a ray of light, that wee one. Diving through the Duluoz Legend is quite a feat, especially since I began with the simpler ones like On The Road and Dharma Bums. Quite a dark, depressing, love realm Jack lived in/through.

Slapstick by Vonnegut
One of his better ones, definitely. Vonnegut always says so much more than many others, by using as few words as possible.

Post Office by Bukowski
Fucking hilarious, this was the first novel I read from him after reading 2 collections of short stories. I wish I had the balls to be Bukowski, if only but for a few weeks even.

Vineland by Pynchon
Finished it, finally. Great at times, bad at others, okay overall.

Persepolis
Considering my Persian woman went through pretty much the exact thing this girl did, this was quite insightful. Very well done.

Sandman, volume 5
Still working my way through. Awesome stuff as always, I don't think of this one ever really having an end. Or beginning or middle for that matter. Never yet disappointed.

The Thing on the Doorstep and Other Wierd Stories by Lovecraft
Not as good as the Cthulhu collection, but still has some great ones. At The Mountains of Madness and The Case of Charles Dexter Ward in particular were grand.

Transmetropolitan
Starting this one again, although I read bits and pieces years ago. Great shit, very pertinent today.

Gravity's Rainbow is going to take awhile. Will likely space it out with some Nabokov just for good measure.

Also still hammering through Gates of Fire. I avoided that one for years because I knew I'd lose interest long before finishing it, and well, that has proven to be true. Even though I quite like it when I do actually sit with it.

This looked so interesting I ordered it as well. What do you think so far?
Man, it is seriously fuckin...wow. There are layers upon layers in this book. I'm currently watching an isolationist warrior-monk engage in a battle of wills with a barbarian horseman who makes Conan of Cimmera look like Dennis Kucinich, and the amount of depth is startling - and then there's the reason why, or reasons, which involve some truly depraved and yet thought-provoking shit.

I'm not sure how I feel about some of the villains - they're just too LOOK HOW EVIL I AM in a way that reminds me uncomfortably of that utter hack Terry Goodkind; on the other hand, being in one's head really fucking blew my mind and it's possible he can back up "tell" with "show" down the line. The world building is fantastic, sorta Mediterranean Robert E Howard, and nd some of the chief protagonists are extremely original and well-drawn characters. This book is either going to disappoint me utterly, or blow my fucking mind.

Well, it sounds fucking excellent! Seriously, I haven't read a single good fantasy book since 'Song for Ice and Fire', and very few even before it. It's a genre so riddled with garbage, I've more or less given up on it, but this might just breath some life back into my boyhood infatuation! Cheers!

I'm about to read a couple books by Paul Theroux. One is The Mosquito Coast and the other is The Old Patagonian Express. Anyone have any experience with this author or either of these books?

im reading Lisey's Story by King, and im going slow. i tried getting into Braker's Coldheart Canyon but couldnt do it. ive got reader's block for some reason, as the only thing im reading are metal mags.

im waiting for the final Potter to come out in paperback as i aint paying $20 for it.

Does anyone else here like other Robert Jordan stuff like the Wheel of Time series? The first 4 books are pretty kick ass, at least for un-literary types like myself.

i tried getting into that series, but got about 60 pages into book 1 and quit.

there is a discussion of that series in this thread somewhere

Wait... so who has actually read the Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test? It is the most amazing thing I have ever been associated with. No book has ever made me feel remotely as emotional.

Finally finished reading Les Miserables. Man, Hugo kicks asses, as always.

Now reading: Johnathan Carrol - Voice Of Our Shadow. Magical realism.

Yeah, I'm about 80 pages in now - on my second read. :p

This is seriously fantastic stuff, beyond the detailed and immersive world-building and the half-gritty, half-epic prose. The mix of banal human wickedness and absolute inhuman depravity; the eternal struggle of doubt and faith and the relation between the two; the way small, frail, flawed people can move enormous events...speculative fiction at its best, no joke.

About all I could ask for is a little bit more...I don't know, exaltation or redemption or the like. Something to show that the horror contained within these pages is not in vain. Otherwise it's a brilliantly written, complex, intellectual exercise in horrible torture. Which is, you know, nothing I regret reading. I just want to come back to it.

Yeah, I'm about 80 pages in now - on my second read. :p

This is seriously fantastic stuff, beyond the detailed and immersive world-building and the half-gritty, half-epic prose. The mix of banal human wickedness and absolute inhuman depravity; the eternal struggle of doubt and faith and the relation between the two; the way small, frail, flawed people can move enormous events...speculative fiction at its best, no joke.

About all I could ask for is a little bit more...I don't know, exaltation or redemption or the like. Something to show that the horror contained within these pages is not in vain. Otherwise it's a brilliantly written, complex, intellectual exercise in horrible torture. Which is, you know, nothing I regret reading. I just want to come back to it.

I'll be sure to pick it up, Reuben.

I went on an enormous book haul in some used bookstores today. I'll spare you all the gory details, but I'll mention that it includes Pynchon's Vineland, Nabokov's Pale Fire, and a Grammar of the Gothic Language.