Books

that space stuff doesnt interest me. if its space stuff like star wars, i guess i dont mind because a lot of star wars is on planets with battles and stuff.

actually ive thought of reading clarke's Space Odyssey series, but maybe later.

someone tell me, does Battlefield Earth get good at any point? i got to page like 300 and it seems fuck all had happened for the most part.

someone tell me, does Battlefield Earth get good at any point? i got to page like 300 and it seems fuck all had happened for the most part.

I know everyone dismisses Hubbard because he's a nut but I actually enjoyed the Mission Earth series. Why are people so stuck on his crazy religion and Battlefield Earth, supposedly his shittiest book?

But I'd also like to second Grazim's recommendation of Neuromancer. Fantastic book. And speaking of sci-fi, I really look forward to getting back to the U.S. so I can finish reading the rest of Philip K Dick's works.

Or you could at least start with The Year's Best Science Fiction. A lot of great short stories in those and you can branch off that to other authors. This is a good one.

that last book looks damn good, actually.

ive been researching that Ice and Fire series. seems like i would like it.

I love The Year's Best of... series. I have a couple of the Short Stories and Science Articles ones. Good reads.

The Wheel of Time is definitely awesome

Agreed, it's the only fantasy book series I find worth spending time with, and I'm kind of eagerly awaiting the next part of this epic of his. I read the first of Goodkind's series but it was depressingly crappy, and I guess the only reason I like Wheel of Time is probably because I strarted reading it so long ago and now when I read any of this books I am litteraly sucked into another world. One fantasy book per year is enough though :|

Recently I've read Kafkas das Schloss (in german!) and now I'm almost finished with Ernst Jünger's -- a writer which, as I've said numerous times, everyone who loves books should check out.

As for Dostoyevski translations; I asked an american bibliophile friend of mine who recomended Richard Peviar, who apparently has made new translations pretty recently.

i just ordered Hiroo Onoda's No Surrender: My Thirty-Year War, about how the author spent 29 years in the philippine jungle thinking world war II was still going on

Lieutenant Onoda emerged from the jungle 29 years after the end of World War II, and accepted the commanding officer's order of surrender in his dress uniform and sword, with his Type 99 Arisaka rifle still in operating condition, 500 rounds of ammunition and several hand grenades.

:kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :headbang: x235897

I could not get beyond 3 pages of Jordan, let alone 985694386 books in the same god damn series. I don't like fantasy. I like Tolkien. Tolkien and 2D console RPGs. All else must go'way.

Anyhow. I read Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams, it was very good. The ending was rushed, but he does that. Much much better than the last Hitchhiker's book, which I practically hated.

I finished Breakfast of Champions by Vonnegut. Definitely on the upper end of his works to me, I quite liked that one. The ending didn't get all weird all fast like usual, but it was in quite a different style for him so very enjoyable.

I also read The Eye by Nabokov recently. The stupid god damn rear cover of the fucking book ruins the ending, which of course made me punch Mexican children. Well, more than usual at least. Really good book, that dude had such a way with words that make me glad to be alive. It's like Swans but in literary form. Which brings us to quite possibly the most fluid writer in the history of the written word:

I'm currently reading Shalimar the Clown by Salman Rushdie. 40 pages in and it it is fucking amazing. I wish I had 1% of that dude's essence in a bottle on my mantle, then when I get drunk I could cry and point angrily toward it, muttering something about not being able to cope with breathing mostly nitrogren.

Yep Pevear and Volkonsky or however its spelled. THE BEST translations of Dostoevsky.

Currently reading their translation of DEMONS.

How NAD feels about Nabokov and Rushdie, is how I feel about Dostoevsky. The man is a God amongst men.

I still do need check out Nabakov and Rushdie tbh.

finished THe CLub Dumas by Arturo Perez Reverte. very good book about devil worship and stuff.

now reading Conan Chronicles

I still do need check out Nabakov and Rushdie tbh.
You really fucking need to read Fury man. Seriously. It so god damn changed my life. I went from redblooded asshole to Buddhist monk within its course.

Well, I'm exaggerating a bit, but you know.

I dont think anything can change me from being a redblooded asshole. Shit, Ive read about 12 books on Zen and if there is anything I would ascribe to, it would be that...when I really focus on it, it helps me but then all hell breaks loose within me again. Maybe by the time I am 54 years old, Ill be a smooth operator like Sade.

BUT, you are right...Fury shall be the next book I endeavour. Like I told you 13 months ago. :loco:

I don't give a flying good god damn about Zen, the Tao, or any of that chinky shit (although I've read much of it, and it is very muchly thusly grand). Read Fury.

Indians > all

I hope JayK doesn't read this. Well, actually I do, I could use a good manblowjob.