Book haul of the AGES:

Michel Houellebecq "Whatever"
Ernst Jünger "The Glass Bees"
Ernst Jünger/Martin Heidegger "The Line"
Oswald Spengler "The Decline of the West"
Henry David Thoreau "Letters to a Spirital Seeker"
Alain de Benoist "On Being Pagan"
John Michell "Confessions of Radical Traditionalist"

Spengler is good, but god damn is he long-winded.

Even the abridged version of 'The Decline of the West' was tough to make my way through without going 'what are you rambling about and when will you cut to the point?' several times. The man certainly demonstrates an almost encyclopedic knowledge throughout, however.

Yeah I've heard it's pretty tough going, with him trying to cover a bit too many subjects in the same book. But boring or not, it is mandatory reading.

Btw, Møøse: you need to read Ernst Jünger, there's simply no way you would not adore his writings.

I've been thinking of reading some Jünger for awhile. I'll look into it next time I'm in the bookstore, although finding time for all the recreational and personal development reading that I want to do is sometimes a little difficult.

been reading selections from the complete works of julio cortazar

what a friggin writer, too bad he was a puss-ass argentine :loco:

well now that i think about it, he and borges are like 10000x manlier than any chilean writer i can think of...

MajestikMøøse;5684799 said:
I've been thinking of reading some Jünger for awhile. I'll look into it next time I'm in the bookstore, although finding time for all the recreational and personal development reading that I want to do is sometimes a little difficult.

Yeah, I know what you mean, and that freedom to be able to choose what to read is one one of the few positive aspects of working full time. Other than that, life in the factory is massively gray

I've recently discovered that Vladimir Nabokov is pretty much the most amazing author in history. Every book of his is like Finnegans Wake, except it fools you into thinking you "get" what is going on, but you leave more confused than a dying moth trying to hump a 1000W light bulb.

I'm just about finished "The Brothers Karamazov" in the Pevear/Volokhonsky translation.

Can anyone recommend to me any other good translations of Doestoevsky's works (I'm looking at you Doomcifer)?

Also, does anyone know if Tolstoy's works are worth any time? I've got a copy of Anna Karenina sitting around at my other place that I haven't read yet, and I'm wondering if "War & Peace" is as essential a literary classic as the intelligenstia have it worked up to be. Or does anyone know a good English language edition of the works of the poet Pushkin?

Dawkins, Richard. The God Delusion. Hmm, this is my first Dawkins book and I think his writing ability is a bit overrated. Or perhaps, and not to sound pretentious, the intended audience is a little less educated than the dorian. Otherwise, thumbs up to atheism! Good to see someone standing up against stupidity.

McDonough, James. Five Tragic Hours: The Battle of Franklin. Brilliant. Check it out if you're into Civil War shitz. Consider moving to TN, too; there are battlefields all over the damn place.

Dawkins, Richard. The God Delusion. Hmm, this is my first Dawkins book and I think his writing ability is a bit overrated. Or perhaps, and not to sound pretentious, the intended audience is a little less educated than the dorian. Otherwise, thumbs up to atheism! Good to see someone standing up against stupidity.

McDonough, James. Five Tragic Hours: The Battle of Franklin. Brilliant. Check it out if you're into Civil War shitz. Consider moving to TN, too; there are battlefields all over the damn place.

Dawkin's The Blind Watchmaker and his more scientific books aren't so 'dumbed down'. I'm 30 pages into The God Delusion and I can tell his writing style is different because of what he's writing about.

Have you read The End of Faith by Sam Harris?

That's what I figured.

Nah, I haven't read that book. I'll check it out. For science/critical thinking, I usually pick up Michael Shermer's latest. He's got some good stuff.

The End of Faith has so much information you feel like you have to take notes on it.

I'll look into Michael Shermer...maybe

BC_0743292332.jpg

it's ok so far, though it could be better. usually King books kinda fall into place in the last third of the book. fans of zombie movies might like this one. much in common with some Romero works, and it's also dedicated to him