Books

actually i found this pretty friendly. yes, he doesn't mince his words and is clear enough about why christianity is harmful, but he does come across as taking some care as to not intentionally offend, too.

By modern standards I'd agree he is hardly aggressive, but considering the era (afterall, the world was a very different place 80-100 years ago) I was expecting him to be less direct.

"i think the title essay is interesting, but far from complete or elaborate enough."

I think you're spot on here - because this is a series of essays rather than complete work, I find few of them go to the depth I would like. All raise very interesting points, and all are very thought provoking, but he was limited in all of them by both the wordcount, and the fact he couldn't build on his previous essays, so there's a certain amount of repetition in each. Nevertheless I've found most of them very interesting indeed, and quite entertaining, which is always a plus. I haven't quite finished yet though...

it was in the name of science that the jews were declared an inferior race.

Whoa, whoa, easy tiger. While this is a very interesting debate, I'm on a deadline, and can't give it the attention it deserves, so I'm not going to try. It's one I'd be interested in having in person sometime when less typing and time constraints are involved. That said, I'd just like to point out that the roots of antisemitism in Germany - and globally - lie far deeper, and go back far further than the mid 19th century when the theory of evolution surfaced. Yes, it was co opted by the nazis, but their actions built upon centuries of antisemitism seeded by the catholic church, and their actions were a reaction to the economic circumstances of the time. Just as Nietzsche was misrepresented for political ends, so was the science of the time. While you may well disagree, I'd argue this makes it hard to say the holocaust was done 'in the name of science' - it was based on many causes, and the justification given was just as often petty jealousy, economic fears, a global Jewish conspiracy , scapegoating and superstitious rumour as it was eugenics.

Russell said:
Whoa, whoa, easy tiger.
well, i didn't say the holocaust was done in the name of science, i don't believe that is true at all. i would argue that the background of racial biology research being done at the time helped to justify it to the general public.

what i'm saying is that at the bottom of all the antisemitism there was a "firm" scientific groundwork -- yes, you can say that the jews are conspiring against aryan man on a global level, you can say they are greedy and that they've crashed the economy or whatever, and the reaction will probably be "boo! stupid jews! stop being so stupid!" but if you have men in white coats backing it up, saying "this is all because they are biologically inferior and genetically inclined to this behaviour" that would kind of give it the extra push some people would need to agree that the entire race should be exterminated.

you can argue that it was pseudoscience or that it was "misrepresented" but that was my entire point -- things we take for granted today are offensive or laughable tomorrow -- so called "facts" can be twisted for different purposes.

if it's still a poor example/illustration then sure. point still stands

That's one theory. You must look inside your majestik self to unlock the manifestation of inner sanctity. Try putting your hands together around your penis like you're praying, and give yourself the ol' roly poly.

check....and...mate....

i honestly shouldn't have to point this out, but "science and reason" are not infallible -- as much as the superstition of christianity was an improvement on the superstition of judaism, the scientific beliefs of today obsolete those of yesterday, and science is blind -- it does not have a morality.

I agree, but I don't see how it's relevant. The point of my post was saying that science and reason are our best tools to figure out what is actually true (small t of course). When beliefs are based off of facts and reality, we can use this to better understand our society and life in general.

it was in the name of science that the mentally ill were lobotomized 50 years ago. it was in the name of science that the jews were declared an inferior race. there is nothing that says today's values are any saner -- being children of our time we completely lack the perspective to make that judgement. maybe tomorrow you will find out that your favorite piece of "science" actually ends up killing people or making them miserable?

I wasn't trying to argue that today's values are saner or better.

god is for some an excuse to do evil, like god for some is an incentive to do good. in the same way, people can justify good or evil with beliefs based upon the scientific method. all we're doing is changing our symbols around, switching one oppression for another. in the end it's just another brand of boot stomping on a human face forever.

I don't think it's possible to do good or evil with the scientific method. It's just a method that helps of understand reality without being fooled.

so essentially, utilitarianism. there are a few problems with adopting this as a standard -- most glaringly, there is no way to accurately predict what actions do harm to others in the grand chain of causation, and there is also no accurate way to measure "harm" -- it is meaningless to say that action A causes slightly less harm to the general public than action B and is therefore preferable.

Yeah, it works as a general rule of thumb, and not applicable to all cases, obviously. If we can have a society were the most amount of people enjoy their life, that's what I'd want to strive for. That's probably better than saying less harm.

well, i didn't say the holocaust was done in the name of science, i don't believe that is true at all. i would argue that the background of racial biology research being done at the time helped to justify it to the general public.

what i'm saying is that at the bottom of all the antisemitism there was a "firm" scientific groundwork -- yes, you can say that the jews are conspiring against aryan man on a global level, you can say they are greedy and that they've crashed the economy or whatever, and the reaction will probably be "boo! stupid jews! stop being so stupid!" but if you have men in white coats backing it up, saying "this is all because they are biologically inferior and genetically inclined to this behaviour" that would kind of give it the extra push some people would need to agree that the entire race should be exterminated.

you can argue that it was pseudoscience or that it was "misrepresented" but that was my entire point -- things we take for granted today are offensive or laughable tomorrow -- so called "facts" can be twisted for different purposes.

I don't actually know if this is correct, but if it is, I see your point. I thought the scientific basis was misrepresented from that time period, but it doesn't matter: your point is taken.

One thing I would like to point out when this argument is made because it seems like the author always wants to imply that science is arbitrary at any given moment. My favourite analogy to show this is from Isaac Asimov, and it goes something like this: When people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical, they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together.

In response to you just sitting there worshiping some random sun god and enjoying your life, hasn't the quality and enjoyment of life gone up since science has had a strong hold? Doesn't it then follow, that continuing science and reason would continue to help the quality and enjoyment of life?

Is science and reason the only way? I don't think so, but it's essential.

I agree, but I don't see how it's relevant. The point of my post was saying that science and reason are our best tools to figure out what is actually true (small t of course). When beliefs are based off of facts and reality, we can use this to better understand our society and life in general.
and my point is that while i agree with you about the value and purpose of science, what i'm saying is maybe people's life quality doesn't actually increase by better understanding society and life. maybe truth, or the lack of it, has little or no bearing on happiness.

swizzlenuts said:
I don't think it's possible to do good or evil with the scientific method. It's just a method that helps of understand reality without being fooled.
okay, i don't either. as i said, science is blind and above morality. what i said was "beliefs based upon the scientific method" -- i.e. even if the scientific reasoning behind a belief is immaculate, someone can still use that knowledge to do evil (obviously depending on what exactly we are talking about, but it is easy to imagine several cases where a proven scientific theory might lead people to justify the harming of others)

swizzlenuts said:
Yeah, it works as a general rule of thumb, and not applicable to all cases, obviously. If we can have a society were the most amount of people enjoy their life, that's what I'd want to strive for. That's probably better than saying less harm.
the same problems apply whether you say "most enjoyment for the most amount of people" or "least harm for the least amount of people". it's a noble thought perhaps, but it cannot work.

swizzlenuts said:
One thing I would like to point out when this argument is made because it seems like the author always wants to imply that science is arbitrary at any given moment. My favourite analogy to show this is from Isaac Asimov, and it goes something like this: When people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical, they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together.
sure. but science is a continuum of ideas building upon earlier ideas, and much of what we believe to be true today is bound to be on the "earth is flat" level of truth in actuality. science is never arbitrary but its theories are often conclusions based on incomplete evidence.

either way, i think it is absurd to say that the man who thinks the earth is flat enjoys life less than the man who knows its true shape.

swizzlenuts said:
In response to you just sitting there worshiping some random sun god and enjoying your life, hasn't the quality and enjoyment of life gone up since science has had a strong hold?
that's my entire argument. i don't think it has, at least not to any degree where it should be appropriate to put science on the same level we used to put god, and unquestioningly approve of its absolute authority.

swizzlenuts said:
Is science and reason the only way? I don't think so, but it's essential.
they are essential to some extent -- but they of themselves do not provide enjoyment or meaning in life.

Indeed, it wasn't the point I was taking issues with, it was the fact that the example was one which I think is a lot more complex, one which is often used by anti-science people (read:creationists, not you) as a 'trump card' when they're arguing about the truth of some piece of science or another, one which I don't think applies.

This would have been my thought had I time to mention it last night. Many of the worst things done in the name of science are done by ignoring the scientific method - people have their pet theory, and by confirmation bias think that it is supported by science, and then act accordingly. The scientific method may of course be tweaked in the future, but at the moment it is our best approach to understanding the world, and if it is followed is a lot less likely to be co opted for any person's or movement's gain. Obviously it cannot provide a moral guide, but its use tempered with consensus, thought, and discussion is probably a fairly good place to start from in moral discussions. At least, if more people thought so and acted accordingly I think the world would be a far batter place than it is now.

and my point is that while i agree with you about the value and purpose of science, what i'm saying is maybe people's life quality doesn't actually increase by better understanding society and life. maybe truth, or the lack of it, has little or no bearing on happiness.

that's my entire argument. i don't think it has, at least not to any degree where it should be appropriate to put science on the same level we used to put god, and unquestioningly approve of its absolute authority.

Of course science can't bring all individuals happiness, fulfillment, and contentedness. But surely the fact, for example - that you're now very unlikely to die from tonsillitus, your life expectancy is now in the 70s rather than the late 20s, the fact you can communicate on the internet and have lots of spare time to indulge in photography, or whatever hobbies you wish - makes you happier than were you still in a constant struggle for food and survival, combating illness, cold, and myriad other challenges just to scrape by an existence. Thus I would argue that scientific advances (and the search for truth) do improve people's life quality.

I'm not arguing that science should be put on the level of god, and by definition science is constantly questioned and re-questioned, and thus would be very hard to pin as an absolute authority. Very few people would argue that, even - I think - Richard Dawkins. But I do think it has brought around enough improvements to our lives to be respected (not unquestioned), and its education/practice to be protected from religious attack.

Indeed, it wasn't the point I was taking issues with, it was the fact that the example was one which I think is a lot more complex, one which is often used by anti-science people (read:creationists, not you) as a 'trump card' when they're arguing about the truth of some piece of science or another, one which I don't think applies.
really, i hate bringing up hitler, but i put the first two relevant examples that popped into my brain. it is a complex example for sure, but for the reasons i outlined i still think it's vaguely relevant.

Of course science can't bring all individuals happiness, fulfillment, and contentedness. But surely the fact, for example - that you're now very unlikely to die from tonsillitus, your life expectancy is now in the 70s rather than the late 20s, the fact you can communicate on the internet and have lots of spare time to indulge in photography, or whatever hobbies you wish - makes you happier than were you still in a constant struggle for food and survival, combating illness, cold, and myriad other challenges just to scrape by an existence. Thus I would argue that scientific advances (and the search for truth) do improve people's life quality.
okay -- i will concede that the individual's happiness is increased by things like having medicines and other basic things. then again, do you really think -- before all these things were known at all -- that the ancient savage's 25 year life was really unhappier than modern man's 80 year life? the human mind is so adaptable to different conditions that i think a man living in neolithic times would be, give or take, as happy with his relative condition as the average man is today. some things are worse now, some things are better now, but it all evens out in the end.

don't take this as a "boo hoo poor me having to live in civilization with all these amenities" -- but i don't think i am happier than someone who has to struggle for survival every day. i don't think having things, or being able to communicate with the world, or knowing how materia works on a particle level, is important for my happiness. i have seen no convincing arguments or statistics that this would be the case. how common is suicide and depression in the civilized world compared to among any savage tribe on a small polynesian island?

whether spare time contributes to happiness i could probably write a book on, except there have already been written better ones. for me, it does, but i think a big part of the problem is that work has become so detached from the basics of human existence. i don't think spare time matters much for he who works for himself, to survive and live.

"As with our colleges, so with a hundred "modern improvements"; there is an illusion about them; there is not always a positive advance. The devil goes on exacting compound interest to the last for his early share and numerous succeeding investments in them. Our inventions are wont to be pretty toys, which distract our attention from serious things. They are but improved means to an unimproved end, an end which it was already but too easy to arrive at; as railroads lead to Boston or New York. We are in great haste to construct a magnetic telegraph from Maine to Texas; but Maine and Texas, it may be, have nothing important to communicate."

-- thoreau, "walden"

I'm not arguing that science should be put on the level of god, and by definition science is constantly questioned and re-questioned, and thus would be very hard to pin as an absolute authority. Very few people would argue that, even - I think - Richard Dawkins. But I do think it has brought around enough improvements to our lives to be respected (not unquestioned), and its education/practice to be protected from religious attack.
okay, i agree that under no circumstances should religion be allowed to infiltrate the realms of science. they are very different things and must be kept that way.

what i am saying is that it is as dangerous to rely on religion for absolute truth as it is relying on the science-du-jour. it is also not necessarily true that just because something can be proven to be more in accordance with the truth of the universe (to the extent that it even exists) it must be more conducive to human welfare.

to my mind, i could imagine something like a "perfect religion" which could introduce any number of wholly artificial entities and concepts and yet enable the believer to life a happier life than the unbeliever. there are comforts enabled by religious belief, benevolent to the state of mind of the adherent, that are not available to men of strict science.

while christianity, by far, is not that hypothetical perfect religion, the point is that getting rid of religion will not get rid of harmful things. there are good and bad sides to everything, and by throwing out religion entirely you would be throwing out the baby with the bathwater. it is a small baby, but a baby nonetheless. i think basic human nature is such that even if we got rid of the tyranny of superstition and broken morals, there would be new forms of oppression right around the corner. gods, theories and empires rise and fall but in the end we're still FUCKED. or we're pretty decent off either way and should stop complaining -- pick one

personally, i am unable to lie to myself and doomed to think about these things, so i must create my happiness and meaning out of nothing, which is not so bad. i am still unable to say that there is any intrinsically higher value in truth than lie.

okay -- i will concede that the individual's happiness is increased by things like having medicines and other basic things. then again, do you really think -- before all these things were known at all -- that the ancient savage's 25 year life was really unhappier than modern man's 80 year life?

I don't know, but I think this is an interesting question. Are happiness and dissatisfaction not luxuries afforded by scientific and technical advance? For our savage, when the biggest question is where his next meal is coming from, and the worry that if get gets even slightly ill it'll affect his ability to find food, and that could worsen the illness, and so on - is there time to worry about his state of happiness? Would he not just accept the crap life throws at him and cling to survival? Just a thought - and of course I wouldn't deny that moments of happiness would arise - but I think there would be too many other considerations to waste nervous energy on whether (s)he is in a happy state. Could it not be argued that we're only able to worry about whether we are happy because our more immediate worries about the availability of food and our health are generally catered to by our scientific/technological achievements?

i don't think having things, or being able to communicate with the world, or knowing how materia works on a particle level, is important for my happiness. i have seen no convincing arguments or statistics that this would be the case. how common is suicide and depression in the civilized world compared to among any savage tribe on a small polynesian island?

Such things in themselves I would agree, will not bring happiness to lots of people. But I think they make finding happiness easier for the vast majority. I think it would be fair to say when you're well provided for it's easier to be contented than when you're scraping by an existence scavenging - at least in my mind. When it boils down to it I agree with you, I think - some people will always be unhappy whatever the lot, and vice versa. But I think it's the people inbetween these two extremes where the condition of their life can contribute an awful lot to their emotional wellbeing.

there are comforts enabled by religious belief, benevolent to the state of mind of the adherent, that are not available to men of strict science.

I agree with you on most other counts in your post. The only caveat I would add is that I believe while religious belief can be comforting to many (which obviously has no impact on its truth), I believe the negative effects or organised religion outweigh by far the benefits. While religious beliefs are important to some, so can't be thrown out entirely, I think the loss of organised religious movements would bring a great deal more good to the world than it would harm, while allowing those that need religion to have it following their own interpretation.

Russell did a great job honing on the points I was trying to make about medicine and making life better.

Another point to make is that science and reason will make our lives better in the future because human will go extinct if we stay on earth or do not eventually move the earth further away from the sun. Since the sun will be exploding in a long time, we need to start finding another place to keep the human race from ceasing to be. Isn't living much more glorious than extinction?

Another point to make is that science and reason will make our lives better in the future because human will go extinct if we stay on earth or do not eventually move the earth further away from the sun. Since the sun will be exploding in a long time, we need to start finding another place to keep the human race from ceasing to be. Isn't living much more glorious than extinction?
man, notwithstanding that this is so incredibly far into the future that not only i should not have to worry about it at all, and the high probability that we will kill our own race long before any natural causes threaten to do the same, the thought of mankind just spreading indefinitely like some space virus is not a happy one to me. i really shouldn't care either way, but honestly, we should have the dignity to just fucking accept death at some point.

Are happiness and dissatisfaction not luxuries afforded by scientific and technical advance?
maybe on a higher intellectual level where you start thinking a lot about what makes you happy etc. but i'm talking of a more primordial happiness, "peace of mind" if you will, which i think is actually more easily achieved if your work and actions are directly related to your survival and spiritual & physical health.

i don't think in the ancient past that people were unhappy with their position in the universe as there was no standards as to what they "should" be in order to lead happy lives

Could it not be argued that we're only able to worry about whether we are happy because our more immediate worries about the availability of food and our health are generally catered to by our scientific/technological achievements?
probably.

But I think it's the people inbetween these two extremes where the condition of their life can contribute an awful lot to their emotional wellbeing.
i really think that if people stopped looking for happiness and contentment they would find them. the "pursuit of happiness" is a disease of modernity.

savages in primitive societies are not unhappy, and the people who are fully assimilated by modern society are not unhappy either. the unhappy ones are the ones that are stuck in systems that they are not able to fully partake in, or measure their lives by standards they will not be able to live up to (so for instance, people who live in slums in rich cities)

I agree with you on most other counts in your post. The only caveat I would add is that I believe while religious belief can be comforting to many (which obviously has no impact on its truth), I believe the negative effects or organised religion outweigh by far the benefits. While religious beliefs are important to some, so can't be thrown out entirely, I think the loss of organised religious movements would bring a great deal more good to the world than it would harm, while allowing those that need religion to have it following their own interpretation.
every church is a plague upon the earth and i would not mourn the loss of organised religion, BUT i don't think you can lose organised religion without losing religion entirely. that's another discussion though. so: i wouldn't mind the extinction of all religious movements, but i wouldn't rejoice at some supposed brighter future if it happened either.

EDIT: i'm at that point where i eventually end up every time i discuss anything: my thoughts go in five hundred directions at once and i can't really keep a coherent line of argumentation. i'm completely disorganized and go off on tangents all the time so it's probably frustrating as hell to read this and some of the previous posts. i would make a lousy writer

anyone into european history, i recommend barbara tuchman's A Distant Mirror: the Calamitous 14th Century...a well-written account of life in 14th c. france and england; you got your plague, your hundred years war, your decadent, corrupt church, the usual murder, rape, pillage, torture. it's lengthy but written in an easily digestible style.

also i'm reading pk dick's the man in the high castle :headbang: good shit