Books

New Thomas Pynchon came out today. Just bought it for a cool $27.00 :erk:

ft_pynchon.JPG

Part noir, part psychedelic romp, all Thomas Pynchon— private eye Doc Sportello comes, occasionally, out of a marijuana haze to watch the end of an era as free love slips away and paranoia creeps in with the L.A. fog

It’s been awhile since Doc Sportello has seen his ex-girlfriend. Suddenly out of nowhere she shows up with a story about a plot to kidnap a billionaire land developer whom she just happens to be in love with. Easy for her to say. It’s the tail end of the psychedelic sixties in L.A., and Doc knows that “love” is another of those words going around at the moment, like “trip” or “groovy,” except that this one usually leads to trouble. Despite which he soon finds himself drawn into a bizarre tangle of motives and passions whose cast of characters includes surfers, hustlers, dopers and rockers, a murderous loan shark, a tenor sax player working undercover, an ex-con with a swastika tattoo and a fondness for Ethel Merman, and a mysterious entity known as the Golden Fang, which may only be a tax dodge set up by some dentists.

In this lively yarn, Thomas Pynchon, working in an unaccustomed genre, provides a classic illustration of the principle that if you can remember the sixties, you weren’t there . . . or . . . if you were there, then you . . . or, wait, is it . . .

And it's less than 400 pages!

and I'm still trying to finish Mason and Dixon several years later.

Of course I'm probably 400 pages in (for the nth time) but it's still only the first 1/10 of the book.

That one sounds easy enough.

This thread has produced a lot of good recommendations, so maybe anyone has something new to share?
As for me, read Catch 22 by Heller and was completely blown away! Amazing read, full of witty humour, sarcasm and irony. A must read

Shit, looked this up and just orderd it as well.

I got my hands full now.

currently readin':
Rumi - The Book of Love translated by Coleman Banks (awesome!)
On the Road by Jack Kerouac
Labyrinths by J.L. Borges

I always get distracted and end up picking up something else before finishing anything!

MajestikMøøse;8641639 said:
9780521034227.jpg

Just finishing up this. Fun book.

just what are you studying again in school Moose??? I keep seeing these endless posts on FB about different languages.

On paper I study Greek and Latin linguistics and philology. In practice, I mostly work on the diachronic background of the Indo-European languages, with my main focus on the Greek and Anatolian sub-branches (although I'm also trying to get into Tocharian these days, but progress on that is slow since I'm doing it on the side and my main resources for that are in French and German).

Shit like Sproat's book are just superkool tools that help me do my work.