Boss GT questions

Well I haven't bought it yet, but I'm planning on getting a bunch of small ones to space out along the cables - and yes, I am planning on using a hairdryer, actually! :lol:

Guitar--> GT input
GT fx out ---> amp input
Amp fx loop out ---> GT fx return
GT main out ---> Amp fx return

+Amp control cable if you use that.

I'm a little retarded on this...... so this is to make it so that anything in the Boss's loop is between guitar and amp input, and anything not is in the amp's FX loop? So, you would pretty much always want the Boss's fx loop on?

I may be missing this completely......

I'm a little retarded on this...... so this is to make it so that anything in the Boss's loop is between guitar and amp input, and anything not is in the amp's FX loop? So, you would pretty much always want the Boss's fx loop on?

Basically this allows you to do fx on the boss either before the amp's preamp or afterward (in the amp's loop). So for example you could go:
guitar-->GT overdrive --> amp distortion--->GT delay--->poweramp (amp's fx return).

It also allows you to bypass the amps preamp all together.

In the case of my band, we don't actually switch amp channels (5150 stays on the lead channel all of the time) and all of the cleans are the boss straight into the poweramp of the 5150 via the fx return.

Basically this allows you to do fx on the boss either before the amp's preamp or afterward (in the amp's loop). So for example you could go:
guitar-->GT overdrive --> amp distortion--->GT delay--->poweramp (amp's fx return).

It also allows you to bypass the amps preamp all together.

In the case of my band, we don't actually switch amp channels (5150 stays on the lead channel all of the time) and all of the cleans are the boss straight into the poweramp of the 5150 via the fx return.

Ok so I think I have it right. What if I have a tubescreamer or wah pedal? Would I put that between the guitar and Boss input or the Boss loop out and amp input?

Hmm, good question - I would hope between the Boss and the amp input, cuz that way it'd be bypassed when you went clean direct into the amp FX return. And now that I see the chain involves the amp's loop always-on, I can see how with a parallel FX loop like in the Rectifier this could pose a problem...

You can think it this way. Your amp preamp is placed into GT's fx loop, so you can use it by engaging the GT loop.

4cm is used when you want to use your amp's preamp in the GT's fx chain. By connecting the GT loop send to the amp input and connecting the g8 loop return to the amp's fx send (pre out), you are placing the amp's preamp in the GT's fx loop. You can turn the loop on and off and you can place it anywhere in the GT fx chain. This gives you the option of placing effects either before or after the amp's preamp.

You can place od's and wah's before GT as usual

Here's great tutorial http://bossgtcentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11121

Well I haven't bought it yet, but I'm planning on getting a bunch of small ones to space out along the cables - and yes, I am planning on using a hairdryer, actually! :lol:

Unless you find some swell heat shrink, I'm pretty sure that a 4 cable run completely heat shrinked is gonna be really fuckin rigid. I'd go with the mesh sleeve stuff too. Right now I have my 4 cables ( pedals to amp + FX Send + FX Return + Footswitch ) bundled with wire ties about every 6". This is just temporary though it's pretty bulky and since the ties are fairly tight and the cables don't slip or roll the bundle is kinda stiff.